Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Making a table with divs

Making a table with divs

Wings

"Good Man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "rtconner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1144962772.384111.295510
> @z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
>
>> Uhm.. It doesn't work in IE.
>>
>> And if you ask me, a table does the job just fine, so why would you try
>> to imitate a table when you can just use the actaul thing. And DIV have
>> many uses, but this, IMO is not one of them.

> hi, time to be bitchy...
>
> what is your post referring to? you should quote posts that you are
> replying to. it makes it much easier to understand and follow the thread.

Maybe, but isn't that what the message heirarchy structure is designed to
show? No problems here in following this. (Just being bitchy).

Jonathan N. Little

Wings wrote:
> "Good Man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

<snip>
>> what is your post referring to? you should quote posts that you are
>> replying to. it makes it much easier to understand and follow the thread.

> Maybe, but isn't that what the message heirarchy structure is designed to
> show? No problems here in following this. (Just being bitchy).

If you are using a newsreader and not Google, the previous messages are
not shown together in one column of text, you must traverse the thread
tree which on some threads can get quite complicated and dendritic. It
also aids in the conversions with quoting to highlight exactly what you
are responding to, as I have done here!

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

rtconner

Thats great and all. But not how do you do this practically? IE and
Mozilla fight over so many CSS options that displaying anything the
same in both of them is a pain. I'm trying to set up a simple layout of
putting a few divs/spans next to each other and have been working on it
for hours (about to be days) and have not found a crossbrowser
solution.

rtconner wrote:
> Thats great and all. But not how do you do this practically? IE and
> Mozilla fight over so many CSS options that displaying anything the
> same in both of them is a pain.

Mozilla does not fight anything Mozilla et al., follow the rules. MS
does not.

> I'm trying to set up a simple layout of
> putting a few divs/spans next to each other and have been working on it
> for hours (about to be days) and have not found a crossbrowser
> solution.

Maybe your are approaching it the wrong way. Some folks try to micro
place every bit right form the start. My advice is like writing a in
general, just write an put is proper structure, paragraphs, headings,
divisions, your content. Then after style it. You would no worry about
cover art, fonts, paper choices and all *before* you started to write
the "Great American Novel". You would first focus on your manuscript right?

Anyway it can be done. My site is very anesthetic--styling is very
important to the nature of my site. It is more stylistically controlled
then many sites need to be and does not use tables for layout and I have
IE cooperating with only one tiny bit accommodation, JavaScript to
assist for IE lack of support for :hover pseudo-class on LI elements.
(There is a .htc file hack I am working on that can rid the JavaScript
reliance)

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 22:07:11 +0100, Paul B <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I understand that using tables is not the 'correct' way to create a
>webpage layout, so I wondered what the general consensus is on using
>div tags to 'simulate' a table:
>http://seventynine.net/testing/test01.html

The way you've done it ? Terrible.

You've used the CSS table behaviours applied directly to <div>s. This
not only acts like a table, it _is_ a table. There's no case where this
would be relevant to use CSS-wise where a HTML <table> wouldn't be just
as appropriate. Equally if it's not justofed to use a<table>, then this
approach is no better.

The CSS table behaviours were intended for styling HTML tables, or for
rendering XML directly with CSS. They certainly weren't intended for use
on other HTML elements.

frederick@southernskies.co.uk

rtconner wrote:
> sorry then. I don't post much and am not fully acquanted with proper
> practice and proceedure.

Since you seem to be using Google Groups, you might not be aware that
if you click on "Reply" at the foot of a post, then it won't quote any
of that post's text in your reply, but if you click on "show options",
the "Reply" option that then appears has the quoted text in the area
that you'd be typing in. If that made sense!

--
AGw.

rtconner wrote:
> Thats great and all. But not how do you do this practically? IE and
> Mozilla fight over so many CSS options that displaying anything the
> same in both of them is a pain. I'm trying to set up a simple layout of
> putting a few divs/spans next to each other and have been working on it
> for hours (about to be days) and have not found a crossbrowser
> solution.

Perhaps you already do this, but my approach is to test using Firefox
whilst coding, and then when I'm basically happy with what I've got,
see what IE does with it. Nine-and-a-bit times out of ten a problem is
due to IE's screwy interpretation of things, with Firefox just obeying
the rules*. Anecdotal evidence points to quite a few others around
here taking a similar approach.

* Sometimes the rules it obeys I don't entirely agree with, but that's
a different issue!

--
AGw.

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> My site is very anesthetic

That's probably not what you meant to say?!

--
AGw.

trippy

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul B took the
hamburger, threw it on the grill, and I said "Oh wow"...

> I understand that using tables is not the 'correct' way to create a
> webpage layout, so I wondered what the general consensus is on using
> div tags to 'simulate' a table:
> http://seventynine.net/testing/test01.html
>
> It is a very very basic example but I'm sure anyone who has made a
> layout with a table can see the point behind it.

You can use a table with tabular data.

--
trippy
mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30

NP: "Rhythm From A Red Car" -- Hardline

"Now, technology's getting better all the time and that's fine,
but most of the time all you need is a stick of gum, a pocketknife,
and a smile."

-- Robert Redford "Spy Game"

Toby Inkster

Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> My site is very anesthetic

It puts you to sleep?

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Divs & Table Problem Notsoswuyd HTML 0 08-26-2009 04:33 PM
Problem laying out pages with divs or asp:table David ASP .Net 3 07-17-2009 03:17 PM
swapping divs -- when divs NOT positioned absolutely.. maya Javascript 4 11-16-2007 05:11 PM
Positioning divs, but WITHIN table cells? mj.redfox.mj@gmail.com HTML 2 11-23-2006 02:31 PM
Managing divs within divs.... rich HTML 0 02-02-2006 07:38 PM

Advertisments