Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > About hyphenation, Please do help

About hyphenation, Please do help

sapanparikh18@gmail.com

Can any one suggest a good way of hyphenation in an HTML table? I have
tried ­ but I cant say it is completely automated. I am looking for
some kind of line breaking algorithm. Please do help

Jukka K. Korpela

> Can any one suggest a good way of hyphenation in an HTML table?

There is none.

> I have tried ­ but I cant say it is completely automated.

Besides, ­ is far from universally supported, and it will appear as
a visible hyphen in many circumstances.

> I am looking for
> some kind of line breaking algorithm.

Browsers have some line breaking algorithms, usually poor and
undocumented, but that's a different issue.

Please explain and illustrate the problem. Browsers generally do not
hyphenate words, and this is sometimes a small problem, but what makes
this a big problem? If it's the fixed width you have allocated for a
table column, the solution should be obvious...

sapanparikh18@gmail.com

I am working in vb right now, where i have a small html control which i
am suppose to use as an input component. It displays a table which is
1.2428 inch in width. By any chance it should not increase that width
but as soon as i get a word longer then 1.2428 Inch the table gets
expanded to fit the word.
Thanks for response,
please reply.
Thanks

Jukka K. Korpela

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I am working in vb right now, where i have a small html control which i
> am suppose to use as an input component.

Sounds somewhat enigmatic. A URL would illustrate a lot. Anyway, making the
control (input field) larger might be part of the solution.

> It displays a table which is
> 1.2428 inch in width.

How does an HTML control display a table, and why is it that narrow?

> By any chance it should not increase that width

Even if the user needs a very large font size (say 2 inches)?

> but as soon as i get a word longer then 1.2428 Inch the table gets
> expanded to fit the word.

So is that a problem, or a solution? And how would hyphenation help?

P.S. In future, please quote or paraphrase what you are commenting on; see

Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

sapanparikh18@gmail.com

>>How does an HTML control display a table, and why is it that narrow?
This is an HTML Editor control like Front page, and it displays a table
because I have rendered it.

>>Even if the user needs a very large font size (say 2 inches)?

Max font size allowed is very small anyways

>>So is that a problem, or a solution? And how would hyphenation help?

Off course this is the problem, i want it not to expand and hyphenate
the word from a proper place
Thanks

Andy Dingley

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Can any one suggest a good way of hyphenation in an HTML table?

[In a somewhat obscure context, hosted within a VB app]

HTML is relatively poor at this. HTML can specify some of it, but
you're at the mercy of how particular browsers might deal with the
actual implementation. HTML is also optimised about displaying "pages"
at a scale that's appropriate for "whole page" viewing. A tiny VB
input control, used more for input than display, isn't quite so
appropriate.

If the default behaviour isn't what you need, then look at using a
different VB control - probably not HTML.

Jukka K. Korpela

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>>How does an HTML control display a table, and why is it that narrow?

> This is an HTML Editor control like Front page, and it displays a table
> because I have rendered it.

That doesn't explain what is going on. A URL might help, you know.

>>>Even if the user needs a very large font size (say 2 inches)?

> Max font size allowed is very small anyways

Then fix the design.

>>>So is that a problem, or a solution? And how would hyphenation help?

> Off course this is the problem, i want it not to expand and hyphenate
> the word from a proper place

You haven't told us the real problem (the problem that you made you paint
yourself into a corner), so stay tuned to not getting real answers,

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

sapanparikh18@gmail.com

Question is simple
if i write
pneumonosilicoultramicroscopicvolcanoconiosis or
www.msdn.microft.office.com

the table's length should always remian 1.2428. This can happen by
entering hyphens whe when the word goes longer than 1.2428

I think this is clear enough this time.
Thanks

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> the table's length should always remian 1.2428. This can happen by
> entering hyphens whe when the word goes longer than 1.2428
>
> I think this is clear enough this time.

I doubt that browsers have the ability to make anything in the
size you specify. An inch on one of my screens is 100px, on
another is about 68px (as I have them set at present). A browser
would need to know a screen resolution and calculate what an inch
and a fraction of an inch across would be, just imagine that and
handling rounding errors and getting it exact!

Imagine the absurd results if it could actually do this and
someone with tired eyes wanted to enlarge the text in the
browser. Does the table still remian 1.2428 inches long and show
only the tiniest bit of the content you wanted?

You need to think through the differences between the print and
screen scenes.

--
dorayme

sapanparikh18@gmail.com

Well I can specify it "in inch" in HTML code as I am more interested in
precise printing, doesn't matter if it doesn't shows up exactly of an
inch on the screen. I am already doing this on different resolution
computers, but it always prints 1.2428 inches.