Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > CSS looks very differently in IE, FF, O

CSS looks very differently in IE, FF, O

Merlin

Hi there,

this different browsers are driving me nuts! I am trying to postion an element
on an exact point within the browser. So I used following code:

float : left; position:absolute;top:20px;left:91px;z-index:1;

Now the element is on 3!! different positions. Each browser has its own! Opera,
FF and IE! I tried it with "fixed" and that worked in opera and firefox, but not
in IE.

I am kind of lost here. Can anybody give me a hint on how to solve that?

Thank you a million for any hint,

Merlin

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Merlin wrote:

> this different browsers are driving me nuts! I am trying to postion an
> element on an exact point within the browser. So I used following
> code:
>
> float : left; position:absolute;top:20px;left:91px;z-index:1;

Without a URL to the page, any suggestions would just be a wild guess.

> Now the element is on 3!! different positions. Each browser has its
> own! Opera, FF and IE! I tried it with "fixed" and that worked in
> opera and firefox, but not in IE.

The browsers all have slightly different versions of padding and
margins. It is extremely difficult to get a pixel-perfect display across
multiple browsers.

> I am kind of lost here. Can anybody give me a hint on how to solve
> that?

Except for a few web authors who may be intrigued by your layout, nobody
else is going to see the difference. Unless ... you place a bright red
flashing notice on the page advising your regular visitors to "Try me in
three different browsers!" Nobody will use more than one.

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, Merlin <(E-Mail Removed)>
declaimed:

> Hi there,
>
> this different browsers are driving me nuts! I am trying to postion an
> element on an exact point within the browser. So I used following
> code:
>
> float : left; position:absolute;top:20px;left:91px;z-index:1;

Incorrect css. Use float _or_ positioning.

> Now the element is on 3!! different positions. Each browser has its
> own! Opera, FF and IE! I tried it with "fixed" and that worked in
> opera and firefox, but not in IE.
>
> I am kind of lost here. Can anybody give me a hint on how to solve
> that?

Probably not without a url except to suggest that you revisit sources
documenting proper css implimentation.

--
Neredbojias
Infinity can have limits.