Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > <> in textarea

<> in textarea

Asterbing

How to do "<" and/or ">" be authorized in a textarea ?

Dylan Parry

Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Asterbing
finally proclaimed:

> How to do "<" and/or ">" be authorized in a textarea ?

&lt; and &gt;

--
Dylan Parry

Jonathan N. Little

Asterbing wrote:
> How to do "<" and/or ">" be authorized in a textarea ?

You do realize your 'fake' email address is to a 'real' domain that is
owned by someone

http://thanks.org/

I am sure that they don't appreciate your spam prevention method...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Jukka K. Korpela

Asterbing wrote:

> How to do "<" and/or ">" be authorized in a textarea ?

Nothing needs to be done to authorize that.

You probably wanted to know how to enter "<" and ">" as data characters
_in HTML_, specifically in textarea element content. Consult a primer on
HTML for that, _after_ you have considered why you wish to use such
characters in the _default value_ for an _input_ field.

(Oh well, I might as well read the primers for you. The characters "<"
needs to be written as "<" or equivalently "&#x3c;" or equivalently
"&lt;". And ">" can be written as such, contrary to popular
superstition, but you can use e.g. "&gt;" for it for symmetry, as a
matter of source code style.)