Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > How can I get font-size to remain constant in Firefox?

How can I get font-size to remain constant in Firefox?

Norman Swartz

How can I get the following coding to work in Firefox as it does
in IE?

<head>
p {color : 0000FF; font-size : 16pt!Important;}
</head>

In IE, when one clicks on the font-size selector icon and chooses
a display size (e.g. "smallest" or "largest"), the on-screen text
remains exactly at 16 points.

But when one does the equivalent in Firefox (e.g. pressing
<ctrl>- or <ctrl>+ ) the on-screen text changes in size.

How can I force Firefox to observe the font-size specification
in the <style>...</style> definition?

W˙rm

"Norman Swartz" <(E-Mail Removed)> kirjoitti
viestissä:Xns97987A98B280Dswartzsfuca@64.59.144.76 ...

> How can I get the following coding to work in Firefox as it does
> in IE?

you CAN'T.

<snip>

> p {color : 0000FF; font-size : 16pt!Important;}

You can't __force__ font-size to anything specific, not even in IE, user can
override them easily. And don't use fontsize as pt on webpages, rather use %
instead.

<snip>

Jose

> But when one does the equivalent in Firefox (e.g. pressing
> <ctrl>- or <ctrl>+ ) the on-screen text changes in size.

That's what it's supposed to do. It is obeying the user.

> How can I force Firefox to observe the font-size specification
> in the <style>...</style> definition?

In other words, you want it to disobey the user? Thankfully, you can't.

Jose
--
Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Norman Swartz <(E-Mail Removed)> quothed:

> How can I get the following coding to work in Firefox as it does
> in IE?

Unfortunately, the IE behavior is all but obsolete. Future font-sizing
will be variable, fluid, and changeable. Opera even changes the size of
graphics on zoom, so imaging text isn't a dependable option, either.

--
Neredbojias

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias wrote:

> Opera even changes the size of graphics on zoom, so imaging text isn't a
> dependable option, either.

As does FF, if you use the Colorzilla extension to do your zooming.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Stan McCann

Norman Swartz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> In IE, when one clicks on the font-size selector icon and chooses
> a display size (e.g. "smallest" or "largest"), the on-screen text
> remains exactly at 16 points.

Due to a bug in IE. The user *should* be able to increase/decrease
font size as needed.

> But when one does the equivalent in Firefox (e.g. pressing
> <ctrl>- or <ctrl>+ ) the on-screen text changes in size.

As it should.

> How can I force Firefox to observe the font-size specification
> in the <style>...</style> definition?

Thankfully, you can't. And why would you want to anyway? 16pt might
be fine for your eyes but totally wrong for mine. Who's looking at
your site? Just you?

--
Stan McCann, "Uncle Pirate" http://stanmccann.us/
Webmaster, NMSU Alamogordo http://alamo.nmsu.edu/

Jukka K. Korpela

Stan McCann wrote:

> Norman Swartz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
>>In IE, when one clicks on the font-size selector icon and chooses
>>a display size (e.g. "smallest" or "largest"), the on-screen text
>>remains exactly at 16 points.

> Due to a bug in IE.

No, it's not a bug. It's not a bug to work according to specifications
even when this means helping the author to hurt users.

> The user *should* be able to increase/decrease
> font size as needed

Of course. But that's a different issue. By CSS rules, the user is able
to do that by instructing the browser not to apply style sheets, or not
to apply the author style sheet, or to apply a user style sheet that
overrides things in the author style sheet.

We've gone through this a couple of time.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>
declaimed:

> Neredbojias wrote:
>
>> Opera even changes the size of graphics on zoom, so imaging text isn't a
>> dependable option, either.

> As does FF, if you use the Colorzilla extension to do your zooming.

Does FF w/Colorzilla do _both_ full zoom and text-only zoom?
That's where Opera screwed up.

--
Neredbojias
Apprentice Learner

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, Neredbojias
<http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html> declaimed:

> To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark
> <(E-Mail Removed)> declaimed:
>
>> Neredbojias wrote:
>>
>>> Opera even changes the size of graphics on zoom, so imaging text
>>> isn't a dependable option, either.

>> As does FF, if you use the Colorzilla extension to do your zooming.
>>

> Does FF w/Colorzilla do _both_ full zoom and text-only zoom?
> That's where Opera screwed up.

PS: These last 2 messages were brought to you by Xnews, which just may be
the last great program to come out of the shareware market. I used to get
virtually all my progs from shareware.

--
Neredbojias
Apprentice Learner

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, Neredbojias
<http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html> declaimed:

> To further the education of mankind, Neredbojias
> <http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html> declaimed:
>
>> To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> declaimed:

>>> As does FF, if you use the Colorzilla extension to do your zooming.
>>>

>> Does FF w/Colorzilla do _both_ full zoom and text-only zoom?
>> That's where Opera screwed up.
>>

> PS: These last 2 messages were brought to you by Xnews, which just may
> be the last great program to come out of the shareware market. I used
> to get virtually all my progs from shareware.

PPS: What is that little picture I get on the left of Xnews (The shark)?
An attachment?

--
Neredbojias
Apprentice Learner