Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Mozzila and IE: different floating layers!

Mozzila and IE: different floating layers!

Richard

9 times out of 10 Mozzila is right. IE is letting me get away with something
naughty but what could it possibly be?

300px;">

300px; float: left;">

300px; float: left;">
a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k
l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w
x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i
j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u
v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g
h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s
t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z

300px; float: right;">
a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k
l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w
x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i
j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u
v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g
h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s
t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z

302px; float: right;">
Far Right

Jonathan N. Little

Richard wrote:
> 9 times out of 10 Mozzila is right. IE is letting me get away with something
> naughty but what could it possibly be?

> 300px;">

> 300px; float: left;">

> 300px; float: left;">
> a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k
> l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w
> x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i
> j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u
> v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g
> h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s
> t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z

> 300px; float: right;">
> a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k
> l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w
> x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i
> j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u
> v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g
> h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s
> t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z

> 302px; float: right;">
> Far Right

'left_out' contains the two floated 'left_in' and 'right_in' DIVs, but
'left_out' is only 539 px wide so the two when added 268 + 268 = 536 but
you *must* add the 1px border on each totaling 540 px which cannot fit
within 539 px of 'left_out'. Both IE and Mozilla are correct not to put
floated 'left_in' and 'right_in' side by side BUT 'left_out', 'left_in'
and 'right_in' are all 300px tall and IE expands 'left_out' like a table
cell and Mozilla does not. IE is wrong in this case as well. Both
'left_in' and 'right_in' should break out of the bottom of 'left_out'.

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#floats
Visual formatting model

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Richard

"Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:442dbebe$0$3689$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Richard wrote:
> > 9 times out of 10 Mozzila is right. IE is letting me get away with

something
> > naughty but what could it possibly be?

> > 300px;">

height:
> > 300px; float: left;">

height:
> > 300px; float: left;">
> > a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i

j k
> > l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u

v w
> > x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g

h i
> > j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s

t u
> > v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e

f g
> > h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q

r s
> > t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z

height:
> > 300px; float: right;">
> > a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i

j k
> > l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u

v w
> > x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g

h i
> > j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s

t u
> > v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e

f g
> > h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q

r s
> > t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z

height:
> > 302px; float: right;">
> > Far Right

> 'left_out' contains the two floated 'left_in' and 'right_in' DIVs, but
> 'left_out' is only 539 px wide so the two when added 268 + 268 = 536 but
> you *must* add the 1px border on each totaling 540 px which cannot fit
> within 539 px of 'left_out'. Both IE and Mozilla are correct not to put
> floated 'left_in' and 'right_in' side by side BUT 'left_out', 'left_in'
> and 'right_in' are all 300px tall and IE expands 'left_out' like a table
> cell and Mozilla does not. IE is wrong in this case as well. Both
> 'left_in' and 'right_in' should break out of the bottom of 'left_out'.
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#floats
> Visual formatting model
>
> --
> Take care,
>
> Jonathan
> -------------------
> LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
> http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Yep, that was it. Thanks.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Richard quothed:

Jonathan's good, but cranky.

--
Neredbojias

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Neredbojias <http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html>
wrote:

> With neither quill nor qualm, Richard quothed:
>
> > "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:442dbebe$0$3689$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > >
> > > --
> > > Take care,
> > >
> > > Jonathan

> > Yep, that was it. Thanks.

> Jonathan's good, but cranky.
>
> --
> Neredbojias

JL would be maybe the least cranky person on alt.html.

You have been going mad more quickly lately Boji, it worries me.
Maybe I better tell Officer Bud White to go easy on you.

--
dorayme

Neredbojias

dorayme wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Neredbojias <http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html>
> wrote:
>
>> With neither quill nor qualm, Richard quothed:
>>
>>> "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:442dbebe$0$3689$(E-Mail Removed).. .

>>> Yep, that was it. Thanks.

>> Jonathan's good, but cranky.
>>
>> --
>> Neredbojias

> JL would be maybe the least cranky person on alt.html.
>
> You have been going mad more quickly lately Boji, it worries me.
> Maybe I better tell Officer Bud White to go easy on you.

I am _trying_ to replace the redoubtable email address in the "from"
field with a web address for form mail. Spam-proofing, you see. No
more need for "(E-Mail Removed)", etc.

Seems like all news clients work differently. If I have to I may try
renaming myself my name + the http address.

Jonathan N. Little

Neredbojias wrote:
> dorayme wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Neredbojias <http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html> wrote:
>>
>>> With neither quill nor qualm, Richard quothed:

>>> Jonathan's good, but cranky.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Neredbojias

>> JL would be maybe the least cranky person on alt.html.
>> You have been going mad more quickly lately Boji, it worries me. Maybe
>> I better tell Officer Bud White to go easy on you.

> I am _trying_ to replace the redoubtable email address in the "from"
> field with a web address for form mail. Spam-proofing, you see. No
> more need for "(E-Mail Removed)", etc.
>
> Seems like all news clients work differently. If I have to I may try
> renaming myself my name + the http address.

I wasn't upset or anything with respect to

http://message-id.net/%3C442c7596$0$3689$(E-Mail Removed)%3E

was pure curiosity. This it is a great idea, but doesn't seem to work
with SeaMonkey. I am sure we have all gotten these emails for folks who
do not know the difference between 'reply to group' and 'reply to ..."
oh what's it called in OE (yes it seems to be an Outlook Express
thing... ) I guess it is just 'reply' got a little picture of a face as
opposed to the push-pinned note. Just had one recently and had to OE
newsreader which I have never used just to see how he could screw it up!

Oh, I can get cranky alright! The guy trying to peddle the 'humor' site
and the $30,000 scam guy are irksome but I try to refrain from comment!
Oh and dorayme, what's with this Officer Bud White?

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

dorayme

In article <d5d65$442de86e$43888edc$(E-Mail Removed)>,
wrote:

> dorayme wrote:

> > You have been going mad more quickly lately Boji, it worries me.
> > Maybe I better tell Officer Bud White to go easy on you.

> I am _trying_ to replace the redoubtable email address in the "from"
> field with a web address for form mail. Spam-proofing, you see. No
> more need for "(E-Mail Removed)", etc.
>
> Seems like all news clients work differently. If I have to I may try
> renaming myself my name + the http address.

So.... er... editing what you are quoting will interfere with
your attempts?

--
dorayme

dorayme

In article <442df597$0$3696$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> Oh and dorayme, what's with this Officer Bud White?

You need to go way back for this one... I've run out of puff
today. I never fool around on April 1. Maybe try Google search
groups. alt.html, Officer "Bud" White...

--
dorayme

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme wrote:
> In article <442df597$0$3696$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Oh and dorayme, what's with this Officer Bud White?

> You need to go way back for this one... I've run out of puff
> today. I never fool around on April 1. Maybe try Google search
> groups. alt.html, Officer "Bud" White...

Russell Crowe!?! Oooookay. Only thing I saw with him was 'Beautiful
Mind' which was okay...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Mozzila vs Microfoft, displaying problems ArbolOne HTML 3 01-21-2009 01:49 PM
I Problem with mozzila hiren Computer Support 3 08-09-2006 02:17 AM
mozzila 1.7.2 Nick NZ Computing 19 08-19-2004 08:31 PM
Mozzila Vrs Firefox Peter Arnold Firefox 1 08-05-2004 12:40 AM
Function behaves strange in Opera while working in mozzila, IE Koyan Javascript 4 12-19-2003 03:11 PM

Advertisments