Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > License Agreement, Required to Scroll

License Agreement, Required to Scroll

bluemanafox@gmail.com

Hey all,

A friend of mine is trying to get his programming team to setup a
License Agreement, where before the I Accept check box becomes active,
the user must scroll to the bottom of the agreement. We have all seen
this type of license agreement before in programs and on the web, but I
simply do not know how to create this type of code. To make matters
work, his programming team is telling him its NOT POSSIBLE, which we
all know it is. Whether its in JavaScript, HTML, ASP it doesnt matter,
but does anybody have a link to where I can find the code for this?

Travis Newbury

> A friend of mine is trying to get his programming team to setup a
> License Agreement, where before the I Accept check box becomes active,
> the user must scroll to the bottom of the agreement. We have all seen
> this type of license agreement before in programs and on the web, but I
> simply do not know how to create this type of code. To make matters
> work, his programming team is telling him its NOT POSSIBLE, which we
> all know it is.

Not much of a "programming team"....

> Whether its in JavaScript, HTML, ASP it doesnt matter,
> but does anybody have a link to where I can find the code for this?

To get the code, just find a place that does it, and copy their code.
I seem to recall the adobe site had this in it.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Travis Newbury wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Whether its in JavaScript, HTML, ASP it doesnt matter, but does
>> anybody have a link to where I can find the code for this?

It would be a server-side language, such as the ASP you mention, or PHP,
Perl, etc.

> To get the code, just find a place that does it, and copy their code.
> I seem to recall the adobe site had this in it.

Not likely that you could copy any server-side code, Travis. And
client-side JavaScript wouldn't work, as some percentage of folks have
that disabled. Nor would it be very secure, if the acceptance is
absolutely required.

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

David Dorward

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> A friend of mine is trying to get his programming team to setup a
> License Agreement, where before the I Accept check box becomes active,
> the user must scroll to the bottom of the agreement. We have all seen
> this type of license agreement before in programs and on the web, but I
> simply do not know how to create this type of code. To make matters
> work, his programming team is telling him its NOT POSSIBLE, which we
> all know it is. Whether its in JavaScript, HTML, ASP it doesnt matter,
> but does anybody have a link to where I can find the code for this?

Someone in my department was looking in to this and had great fun running
into browser inconsistances. Eventually I think we went for the sensible
option (i.e. not cramming the license into a tiny box, and then putting the
accept link after the text - so they have to scroll to bring the link into
view).

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Matt Clara

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hey all,
>
> A friend of mine is trying to get his programming team to setup a
> License Agreement, where before the I Accept check box becomes active,
> the user must scroll to the bottom of the agreement. We have all seen
> this type of license agreement before in programs and on the web, but I
> simply do not know how to create this type of code. To make matters
> work, his programming team is telling him its NOT POSSIBLE, which we
> all know it is. Whether its in JavaScript, HTML, ASP it doesnt matter,
> but does anybody have a link to where I can find the code for this?

Why not put the button on the bottom of the scrolling part? Then you can't
get to the button without scrolling to the bottom of the page.

--
Regards,
Matt Clara

bluemanafox@gmail.com

Well thank you much guys for your post, my friend will be reading this
later and I am sure all of your advice will help him out a ton!

Travis Newbury

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> >> Whether its in JavaScript, HTML, ASP it doesnt matter, but does
> >> anybody have a link to where I can find the code for this?

> It would be a server-side language, such as the ASP you mention, or PHP,
> Perl, etc.
> > To get the code, just find a place that does it, and copy their code.
> > I seem to recall the adobe site had this in it.

> Not likely that you could copy any server-side code, Travis. And
> client-side JavaScript wouldn't work, as some percentage of folks have
> that disabled...

The OP stated that a javascript solution was an option. So while you
are right that some people may have it turned off, the OP did not see
that as an isuue. And if Adobe uses javascript to do it, then he can
copy it.

> Nor would it be very secure, if the acceptance is
> absolutely required.

I must have missed the "absolutly required" line in the OP's post. I
did read the part that said "Whether its in JavaScript, HTML, ASP it
doesnt matter"

Jose

> (i.e. not cramming the license into a tiny box

I thought the purpose of that was to make it difficult to read, and
encourage people to skip all that mumbo jumbo and just sign.

Jose
--
Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.

David Dorward

Jose wrote:

>> (i.e. not cramming the license into a tiny box

> I thought the purpose of that was to make it difficult to read, and
> encourage people to skip all that mumbo jumbo and just sign.

Indeed ... which makes it counter productive to force them to scroll through
it before accepting it.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Jose

>>I thought the purpose of that was to make it difficult to read, and
>> encourage people to skip all that mumbo jumbo and just sign.

> Indeed ... which makes it counter productive to force them to scroll through
> it before accepting it.

No, it provides a plausible way of saying "even though we made it hard
to read, you did read and sign it"... even if all you did was scroll to
the bottom and fume.

Jose
--
Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.