Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Entity code in Meta tags

Entity code in Meta tags

Veign

This may be a stupid question but I can't find any conclusive information on
it. Should you use entity code in META tags (like keyword or descriptions)?

Pages will validate to XHTML with or without them but trying to find what is
considered best practices

--
Chris

David Dorward

Veign wrote:

> This may be a stupid question but I can't find any conclusive information
> on it. Should you use entity code in META tags (like keyword or
> descriptions)?

The rules are no different to anywhere else. Does the character have special
meaning there (e.g. end of attribute value?) or does it not exist in the
character encoding you are using? If yes to either, then it should be
represented by an entity.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Veign

That's what I figured but found nothing that specifically discussed entity
code in META tags.

Thanx for the heads up...

--
Chris
--

"David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e0hiub$eta$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Veign wrote:
>
>> This may be a stupid question but I can't find any conclusive information
>> on it. Should you use entity code in META tags (like keyword or
>> descriptions)?

> The rules are no different to anywhere else. Does the character have
> special
> meaning there (e.g. end of attribute value?) or does it not exist in the
> character encoding you are using? If yes to either, then it should be
> represented by an entity.

> Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

David Dorward

Veign wrote:

> That's what I figured but found nothing that specifically discussed entity
> code in META tags.

That's because there is nothing specific about entity representational in
meta data. Its exactly the same as everywhere else.

And were you responding to something?

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Jukka K. Korpela

David Dorward wrote:

> The rules are no different to anywhere else. Does the character have special
> meaning there (e.g. end of attribute value?) or does it not exist in the
> character encoding you are using? If yes to either, then it should be
> represented by an entity.

Or as character reference, such as ā. People often get upset when
they need (or think they need) a way to "escape" a character and then
find out that there is no predefined entity for it. Character references
do just as fine or better.