Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > nooB for question

nooB for question

JWBlue

I want to use a simple form with a checkbox either on or off and store the
results to a text file, with minimal overhead. Very ignorant about this
stuff so be gentle! I have IIS running (but no front page extensions) on a
windows machine.

Scope: "MyPage.Html" displays form with one checkbox reading default value
from text file (MyFormData.Txt) in same folder. If user changes value of
check box and hits submit it logs those results to MyFormData.Txt
over-writing the previous contents.

What is the simplest way to accomplish? Sample code would be much
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

- Ben

Jim Higson

JWBlue wrote:

> I want to use a simple form with a checkbox either on or off and store the
> results to a text file, with minimal overhead. Very ignorant about this
> stuff so be gentle! I have IIS running (but no front page extensions) on
> a windows machine.
>
> Scope: "MyPage.Html" displays form with one checkbox reading default value
> from text file (MyFormData.Txt) in same folder. If user changes value of
> check box and hits submit it logs those results to MyFormData.Txt
> over-writing the previous contents.
>
> What is the simplest way to accomplish? Sample code would be much
> appreciated.

You need to use a server-side scripting language (eg PHP, Perl, Ruby). Are
any installed on the server?

--
Jim

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "JWBlue" <(E-Mail Removed)>
writing in news:eZSWf.37181$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com:

> I want to use a simple form with a checkbox either on or off and store
> the results to a text file, with minimal overhead. Very ignorant about
> this stuff so be gentle! I have IIS running (but no front page
> extensions) on a windows machine.
>
> Scope: "MyPage.Html" displays form with one checkbox reading default
> value from text file (MyFormData.Txt) in same folder. If user changes
> value of check box and hits submit it logs those results to
> MyFormData.Txt over-writing the previous contents.
>
> What is the simplest way to accomplish? Sample code would be much
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> - Ben

As others have said, you need server side script to do that. You have IIS
running, so look into ASP. You can start learning at
<URL:http://www.w3schools.com/asp/>

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

Dan

JWBlue wrote:
> I want to use a simple form with a checkbox either on or off and store the
> results to a text file, with minimal overhead. Very ignorant about this
> stuff so be gentle! I have IIS running (but no front page extensions) on a
> windows machine.

First off, i would suggest dumping IIS and downloading Apache (free).

> Scope: "MyPage.Html" displays form with one checkbox reading default value
> from text file (MyFormData.Txt) in same folder. If user changes value of
> check box and hits submit it logs those results to MyFormData.Txt
> over-writing the previous contents.

I take it that you mean a text box rather than a text box.

> What is the simplest way to accomplish? Sample code would be much
> appreciated.

This can't be achieved on the client-side, you'll need to use a
server-side language such as Perl or PHP. Perl would be my choice as
working with text files is very simple. If you choose to go down the
perl route, email me a moc.cam@amsev (the address is 'tnorf ot kcab')
and i'll knock you up a few lines of code to do what you want.

Ta,

Dan

Here a noob, there a noob.... JimDoire MCSE 0 04-10-2008 07:23 PM
Noob question Thomas F. Miller Cisco 1 06-08-2005 07:41 PM
Noob question Ferny Wireless Networking 6 07-20-2004 12:41 AM
something of a noob question NewsHound Perl 1 06-30-2004 06:47 PM
[VHDL] a testbench question (bringing out states) - noob Yttrium VHDL 7 10-15-2003 06:03 PM

Advertisments