Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Browser trends

Browser trends

Carolyn Marenger

DJ Craig wrote:

> When I looked in my Google Analytics stats for my site, I was pleased
> by this trend in the browsers:
>
> Nov13-26 Mar12-25
> IE 82.62% 75.31%
> Firefox 12.66% 20.25%
> Safari 2.79% 1.98%
> Netscape 0.64% 1.23%
> Opera 0.86% 0.49%
>
> More FF less IE! but I only get a few hundred visitors on my site
> every two weeks and it might be a badly skewed population sample. I
> was wondering if other people are seeing the same trends in browser
> usage?

Take that with a grain of salt. How many of the IE browsers hitting your
site are actually other browsers reporting as IE? There are times when I
need to convince a server that I am running IE in order to access certain
areas - usually work related. I have been tempted to have my browser
report IE all the time, just to save me from those annoying "IE only"
messages. I stick to being honest, knowing if I want the situation to
change, people need to see non-IE browsers in their stats logs.

So again the question, how many browsers are inaccurately reporting
themselves to be IE, or Navigator, or some other one?

Carolyn
--
Carolyn Marenger

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Dylan Parry
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Toby Inkster
> finally proclaimed:
>
>> I too get the drop in Opera usage, which is very odd. It is possible
>> that once Opera went free, there was a spike in people using it, which
>> is what we're seeing in November, but that then levelled off after
>> Christmas when a bunch of people would have got new computers and
>> perhaps forgot to copy Opera from their old one.

> I'd say it was more likely that people thought they would give Opera a
> try when it went free, and half those who tried it decided they liked
> it better than their previous browser, but the other half decided the
> opposite, so went back to using IE/FF/et al. In other words, you can't
> please all of the people all of the time.

It seems to me one of the versions of Opera (maybe 7 dot something) did not
have a way to list which tabs were open, and that could/can be daunting
when you have 10 or so tabs open at once.

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

Jonathan N. Little

Adrienne Boswell wrote:
<snip>
> It seems to me one of the versions of Opera (maybe 7 dot something) did not
> have a way to list which tabs were open, and that could/can be daunting
> when you have 10 or so tabs open at once.

Opera is okay, but what frustrates me when using it that you cannot drag
and drop links. Didn't realize how often I drag to the desktop or to a
new tab and -- OH! that's right this is Opera!

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Jonathan N. Little"
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
news:442ecb43$0$3698$(E-Mail Removed):

> Adrienne Boswell wrote:
><snip>
>> It seems to me one of the versions of Opera (maybe 7 dot something)
>> did not have a way to list which tabs were open, and that could/can be
>> daunting when you have 10 or so tabs open at once.
>>

> Opera is okay, but what frustrates me when using it that you cannot
> drag and drop links. Didn't realize how often I drag to the desktop or
> to a new tab and -- OH! that's right this is Opera!

You can drag tabs as much as you want. I don't ever drag anything to the
desktop (there's already too much clutter I haven't cleaned up), so I
didn't know about the inability to drag to desktup.

--

Adrienne Boswell wrote:
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Jonathan N. Little"

<snip>
>> Opera is okay, but what frustrates me when using it that you cannot
>> drag and drop links. Didn't realize how often I drag to the desktop or
>> to a new tab and -- OH! that's right this is Opera!
>>

> You can drag tabs as much as you want. I don't ever drag anything to the
> desktop (there's already too much clutter I haven't cleaned up), so I
> didn't know about the inability to drag to desktup.

You can drag to rearrange to order of the tabs but your cannot drag a
link to a tab to open that url in that tab...a Google and eBay friendly
process. I only drag stuff to the desktop for currently working
project...very temporary then like one should do in reality as
virtually, clear of the desktop...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Blinky the Shark

Adrienne Boswell wrote:

> It seems to me one of the versions of Opera (maybe 7 dot something) did
> not have a way to list which tabs were open, and that could/can be
> daunting when you have 10 or so tabs open at once.

Opera natively lets you stack tabs vertically on either side of your
viewport. I love that. I can have 30 or so tabs visible, and they only
take up horizontal space (the width of which you can configure), which
isn't usually all needed for viewing the page anyway.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Jose

> You can drag to rearrange to order of the tabs but your cannot drag a link to a tab to open that url in that tab...a Google and eBay friendly process.

Can't you trick-click?

Jose
--
Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.

Blinky the Shark

Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> Opera is okay, but what frustrates me when using it that you cannot drag
> and drop links. Didn't realize how often I drag to the desktop or to a new
> tab and -- OH! that's right this is Opera!

Must be a version issue.

<clickety click>

I can do both (drag link to tab and desktop) with Opera here:

Opera 8.51/WinXP
Opera 8.51/Win2000
Opera 8.51/Win98SE
Opera 8.51/Mandriva Linux
Opera 8.51/SUSE Linux

--

Adrienne Boswell wrote:

> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Jonathan N. Little"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
> news:442ecb43$0$3698$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Adrienne Boswell wrote:
>><snip>
>>> It seems to me one of the versions of Opera (maybe 7 dot something) did
>>> not have a way to list which tabs were open, and that could/can be
>>> daunting when you have 10 or so tabs open at once.
>>>

>> Opera is okay, but what frustrates me when using it that you cannot drag
>> and drop links. Didn't realize how often I drag to the desktop or to a
>> new tab and -- OH! that's right this is Opera!
>>

> You can drag tabs as much as you want. I don't ever drag anything to the
> desktop (there's already too much clutter I haven't cleaned up), so I
> didn't know about the inability to drag to desktup.

Neither did I. And I just dragged links to the desktop (and the tab
bar) from Opera's address bar in five Opera/OS combinations.

Like you, I'd never drag a link to the desktop in Real Life, though.

--

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>
>> Opera is okay, but what frustrates me when using it that you cannot drag
>> and drop links. Didn't realize how often I drag to the desktop or to a new
>> tab and -- OH! that's right this is Opera!

> Must be a version issue.
>
> <clickety click>
>
> I can do both (drag link to tab and desktop) with Opera here:
>
> Opera 8.51/WinXP
> Opera 8.51/Win2000
> Opera 8.51/Win98SE
> Opera 8.51/Mandriva Linux
> Opera 8.51/SUSE Linux

Yes seems to be, I have two versions 7.54 and 8.51.

--
Take care,

Jonathan