Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > <!DOCTYPE> and CSS Scroll bar

<!DOCTYPE> and CSS Scroll bar

The Numerator

Here's the dilemma:

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<head>
<title>Text</title>
<link href="styles/default.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
</head>

And in "styles/default.css", I have this:

body {
scrollbar-face-color: #123456
// more scrollbar properties
// ...
}

But, the scrollbar doesn't work. Then I took the DOCTYPE off, and it
worked, but the body was all messed up... Could someone tell me whats
going on and a offer a possible alternative? Thanks.

kchayka

The Numerator wrote:

> body {
> scrollbar-face-color: #123456
>
> But, the scrollbar doesn't work.

I don't see it as a problem. Thankfully I use a browser that doesn't
support scrollbar styling in the first place.

Do your visitors a favor and leave their browser UI alone, eh?

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, The Numerator ((E-Mail Removed)) feverishly
typed...

> Here's the dilemma:

[...]

It is now the 21st Century... try "Strict"

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss http://www.nigenet.org.uk
Mail address will bounce. http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) | Take the DOG. out!

Stephen Poley

On 25 Mar 2006 14:19:33 -0800, "The Numerator" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Here's the dilemma:
>
><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
>"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
><head>
><title>Text</title>
><link href="styles/default.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
></head>
>
>And in "styles/default.css", I have this:
>
>body {
> scrollbar-face-color: #123456
> // more scrollbar properties
> // ...
>}
>
>But, the scrollbar doesn't work. Then I took the DOCTYPE off, and it
>worked, but the body was all messed up...

I don't think I've met any browser that could mess up <p>text</p>
And what size window are you using that this produces a scroll-bar?

> Could someone tell me whats
>going on

You're (a) using Internet Explorer and (b) doing something else you
haven't told us.

>and a offer a possible alternative?

Two: (1) Opera (2) Firefox.

Oh, and don't bother trying to style scrollbars.

--
Stephen Poley

http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/

Carolyn Marenger

The Numerator wrote:

> Here's the dilemma:

> <head>
> <title>Text</title>
> <link href="styles/default.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
> </head>
>
> And in "styles/default.css", I have this:
>
> body {
> scrollbar-face-color: #123456
> // more scrollbar properties
> // ...
> }
>
> But, the scrollbar doesn't work. Then I took the DOCTYPE off, and it
> worked, but the body was all messed up... Could someone tell me whats
> going on and a offer a possible alternative? Thanks.

Please leave my scroll bar alone. It is bad enough when people screw around
with my fonts and try to adjust my window sizes. On the other hand, I have
set my browser to ignore most attempts to control beyond the viewport, so I
am probably immune to your attempts here.

Since I don't want other people manipulating my scroll bar, I haven't tried
to manipulate anyone else's. I can't help you with this one. Good luck!

Carolyn
--
Carolyn Marenger

Mitja Trampus

The Numerator wrote:
> Here's the dilemma:

[snip code]

> But, the scrollbar [coloring] doesn't work. Then I took the DOCTYPE off, and it
> worked, but the body was all messed up... Could someone tell me whats
> going on and a offer a possible alternative? Thanks.

Although I hardly agree with the bickering style of some of the responses you got, they
are in their essence right:
1) don't mess with user's browser
2) use standard css - scrollbar-face-color is not

Number one could be subject to debate, but not being standards-compliant is indeed what's
causing you trouble. If you include the DOCTYPE, browsers try to follow the standards, and
this also means ignoring the scrollbar-face-color directive. If you omit the DOCTYPE,
browsers jump into "quirks mode", allowing non-standard extension, but also behaving
strange in other ways - that's why the rest of the page gets garbled.

See http://www.quirksmode.org/index.html...uirksmode.html for more.

David E. Ross

The Numerator wrote:
> Here's the dilemma:

> <head>
> <title>Text</title>
> <link href="styles/default.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
> </head>
>
> And in "styles/default.css", I have this:
>
> body {
> scrollbar-face-color: #123456
> // more scrollbar properties
> // ...
> }
>
> But, the scrollbar doesn't work. Then I took the DOCTYPE off, and it
> worked, but the body was all messed up... Could someone tell me whats
> going on and a offer a possible alternative? Thanks.

In plain English, scrollbar-face-color is not a legal style property in
either CSS1 or CSS2.1.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
into your E-mail? Use PGP.
See my <http://www.rossde.com/PGP/>

Michael Winter

On 26/03/2006 14:38, Mitja Trampus wrote:

[snip]

> If you include the DOCTYPE, browsers try to follow the standards,

True.

> and this also means ignoring the scrollbar-face-color directive.

That isn't the case for IE, though it would appear to be for Opera.

[snip]

Mike

--
Michael Winter

Mitja Trampus

Michael Winter wrote:
> On 26/03/2006 14:38, Mitja Trampus wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> If you include the DOCTYPE, browsers try to follow the standards,
>> and this also means ignoring the scrollbar-face-color directive.

> That isn't the case for IE, though it would appear to be for Opera.

I stand corrected
I wrote that without testing it, relying on OT saying that he doesn't get colored
srollbars if he removes the doctype. Apparently he does care about Opera...

I should perhaps also have mentioned that scrollbar-face-color is a no-go with
Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape.

The Numerator

Thanks...