Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > IE7 comments?

Reply
Thread Tools

IE7 comments?

 
 
Jim Higson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-26-2006
Jim Moe wrote:

> Noozer wrote:
>> Have many of you tried out MS Internet Exploder 7 yet? Any comments to
>> how it improves upon IE6? How does it compare to Firefox?
>>

> Who cares? It will be at least a year before it is released especially
> since the forever-delayed Vista (4 *years* late and counting) is a black
> hole sucking up all of the coding talent at Microsoft and its
> subsidiaries.


> IE6 is our bane for years to come.


The worst bit for me is how difficult it can be to get different versions of
IE working on the same system. How am I going to test against IE6 and IE7?

Does anyone know of unofficial 'standalone' versions of IE7 that you can
install without removing IE6? Or, even better, have IE7 working with Wine?

> IE7 will likely be a me-too browser, half a decade late, etc. It is
> interesting only in that it probably will reduce a development step:
> 1. Create a page as I envision it using standards compliant browsers
> 2. Hack the code until IE looks the same.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Spartanicus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-26-2006
Jim Higson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The worst bit for me is how difficult it can be to get different versions of
>IE working on the same system. How am I going to test against IE6 and IE7?


Multi boot using different partitions.

--
Spartanicus
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dylan Parry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-26-2006
Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Nick
Theodorakis finally proclaimed:

> Effect is visible in Mozilla/Firefox but not in MSIE v6 or less.


Doesn't appear to work IE7 either. I thought it might be the combination
of "+" selector and the :first-letter pseudo-class, but I tried a
simpler version (Toby's example) and that didn't work either

--
Dylan Parry
http://electricfreedom.org -- Where the Music Progressively Rocks!
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim Higson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-26-2006
Spartanicus wrote:

> Jim Higson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>The worst bit for me is how difficult it can be to get different versions
>>of IE working on the same system. How am I going to test against IE6 and
>>IE7?

>
> Multi boot using different partitions.


Not exactly handy when I want to quickly compare. I can run IE6 and 5.5 on
the same machine with a few hacks, so maybe when IE7 comes out proper the
same hacks will be avaliable.

(Also, my only Windows computer is a network-attached Pentium II in a
cupboard for testing IE over RDP, so rebooting means a walk to the other
side of my flat)

With Gecko, multiple versions are easy. I suppose that's one of the
advantages of not building the renderer too far into the OS.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Els
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-26-2006
Jim Higson wrote:

> Spartanicus wrote:
>
>> Jim Higson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>The worst bit for me is how difficult it can be to get different versions
>>>of IE working on the same system. How am I going to test against IE6 and
>>>IE7?

>>
>> Multi boot using different partitions.

>
> Not exactly handy when I want to quickly compare. I can run IE6 and 5.5 on
> the same machine with a few hacks, so maybe when IE7 comes out proper the
> same hacks will be avaliable.


I already have that. IE7beta2 runs normally, and IE6 I downloaded from
evolt.org, just like I already had 5.5 and 5. No need to hack anything
afaik - that's already included in those versions.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-26-2006
Jim Higson wrote:
> Spartanicus wrote:
>
>> Jim Higson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

<snip>
> (Also, my only Windows computer is a network-attached Pentium II in a
> cupboard for testing IE over RDP, so rebooting means a walk to the other
> side of my flat)


Pentium II eh, I don't think you'll be see IE7 on that. Must run
WinXPSR2 minimum and I cannot imagine what XP would be like on a PII! (A
little like Win95 on a 286!)


--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Toby Inkster
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-26-2006
Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> Pentium II eh, I don't think you'll be see IE7 on that. Must run
> WinXPSR2 minimum and I cannot imagine what XP would be like on a PII! (A
> little like Win95 on a 286!)


IIRC, Windows XP will run on a Pentium I. Windows 95 won't run on a 286
though -- you need at least a 386.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-26-2006
Toby Inkster wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>
>> Pentium II eh, I don't think you'll be see IE7 on that. Must run
>> WinXPSR2 minimum and I cannot imagine what XP would be like on a PII! (A
>> little like Win95 on a 286!)

>
> IIRC, Windows XP will run on a Pentium I. Windows 95 won't run on a 286
> though -- you need at least a 386.
>


Your right, partly, MS said Win95 would run on a 386 and worked on
computers where people tried..I would not have called the experience
'working'.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim Moe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-26-2006
Spartanicus wrote:
>
>>The worst bit for me is how difficult it can be to get different versions of
>>IE working on the same system. How am I going to test against IE6 and IE7?

>
> Multi boot using different partitions.
>

Or run the OSes in virtual environments.

--
jmm (hyphen) list (at) sohnen-moe (dot) com
(Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)
 
Reply With Quote
 
kchayka
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-26-2006
jb wrote:
>> Have many of you tried out MS Internet Exploder 7 yet? Any comments to how
>> it improves upon IE6? How does it compare to Firefox?

>
> Conventionally, it's competitive and better than anyone expected.


I will agree that the CSS support is better than I expected, but I'm not
sure about anything else. The UI is dreadful, for sure.

--
Reply email address is a bottomless spam bucket.
Please reply to the group so everyone can share.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IE7 and IE7 64-bit in Vista 64-bit 007 Windows 64bit 1 10-28-2008 08:46 PM
How do I setup a 32 bit IE7 since I'm using a 64 Bit IE7 =?Utf-8?B?RXVnZW5l?= Windows 64bit 3 05-06-2007 01:18 PM
IE7 on XP vs IE7 on Vista Jeff Louella HTML 9 03-02-2007 02:25 AM
Strange effects from IE7 browser freezing on ASP site =?Utf-8?B?RGFu?= ASP .Net 7 04-30-2006 04:13 AM
IE7 Benchmark jim_bowery@hotmail.com ASP .Net 1 10-08-2005 02:44 PM



Advertisments