Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > IE7 comments?

IE7 comments?

Jim Moe

Noozer wrote:
> Have many of you tried out MS Internet Exploder 7 yet? Any comments to how
> it improves upon IE6? How does it compare to Firefox?

Who cares? It will be at least a year before it is released especially
since the forever-delayed Vista (4 *years* late and counting) is a black
hole sucking up all of the coding talent at Microsoft and its subsidiaries.
IE6 is our bane for years to come.
IE7 will likely be a me-too browser, half a decade late, etc. It is
interesting only in that it probably will reduce a development step:
1. Create a page as I envision it using standards compliant browsers
2. Hack the code until IE looks the same.

(Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

Toby Inkster

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Arne

Once upon a time *TheBagbournes* wrote:
> You can't drag the tabs around to order them as you want like you can in
> Firefox.
>
> The UI layout is pugly.
>
> The security warning at the top of your page if you've allowed script is
> annoying.

What and who are you talking about/to? This is not a web based "forum",
it's usenet. So please, follow the standards for usenet when posting and
replying.

How to post: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html
How to quote: http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html#toc2

--
/Arne

Why bottom-posting is better than top-posting
http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Arne

Once upon a time *Bill* wrote:
> Very slow, liked tabed support, very buggy atm. Lots of firms do not
> support it like online banking. Wait for windows vista.

What and who are you talking about/to? This is not a web based "forum",
it's usenet. So please, follow the standards for usenet when posting and
replying.

How to post: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html
How to quote: http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html#toc2

--
/Arne

Ignoring posters who don't quote
* How to quote: http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html#toc2
* From Google: http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

Nick Theodorakis

Dylan Parry wrote:
> Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Nick
> Theodorakis finally proclaimed:
>
>> Any support for selectors like adjacent sibling (e.g., h2 + p) and
>> attribute selectors?

> Do you have a link to a page that demonstrates these? Then I can let you
> know

I use adjacent sibling combined with a first-letter pseudoclass here:

<http://theodorakis.net/blockcenter.html>

and on some other pages.

The relevant CSS is:

h1 + p:first-letter, h2 + p:first-letter, h3 + p:first-letter, h4 +
p:first-letter
{
font-size: 1.8em;
font-weight: bold;
font-family: Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif;
vertical-align: bottom;
}

(which is in the file:

<http://theodorakis.net/article.css>

Effect is visible in Mozilla/Firefox but not in MSIE v6 or less.

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis
contact form:

cwdjrxyz

Noozer wrote:
> Have many of you tried out MS Internet Exploder 7 yet? Any comments to how
> it improves upon IE6? How does it compare to Firefox?

There is yet another issue concerning IE7 that I have not seen
mentioned yet. There are several browsers around that are slight to
extensive modifications of IE6. Some that come to mind are MSN9, some
AOL, SBC/Yahoo DSL, MyIE2, etc. Some of these modify an installed IE6.
Now what is going to happen if one uses one of these browsers and adds
IE7 is not clear to me. Unless Microsoft has done extensive research on
just how all of these related browsers modify IE6, then there could
well be problems if one adds IE7 and deletes IE6 or not. For instance I
use my ISP SBC/Yahoo DSL browser only for things needed for the ISP
service and Windows updates - otherwise I use Firefox and Opera mostly.
I am not about to add IE7 until SBC/Yahoo state that their browser will
continue to work if I do so.

Toby Inkster

cwdjrxyz wrote:

> There is yet another issue concerning IE7 that I have not seen
> mentioned yet. There are several browsers around that are slight to
> extensive modifications of IE6. Some that come to mind are MSN9, some
> AOL, SBC/Yahoo DSL, MyIE2, etc. Some of these modify an installed IE6.
> Now what is going to happen if one uses one of these browsers and adds
> IE7 is not clear to me.

These browsers don't "modify IE 6" -- they use the MSHTML API to render
documents. MSHTML is a library that comes with Internet Explorer.

The MSHTML 7 API is the same as the MSHTML 6 API, so these browsers will
simply continue to operate as normal, albeit with a newer rendering engine.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

jb

> Have many of you tried out MS Internet Exploder 7 yet? Any comments to how
> it improves upon IE6? How does it compare to Firefox?

Conventionally, it's competitive and better than anyone expected.

Jukka K. Korpela

Els wrote:

> I like the min- and max-width and -height though.

Do you mean you've seen IE 7 support min-width and max-width? Which build?

Els

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> Els wrote:
>
>> I like the min- and max-width and -height though.

> Do you mean you've seen IE 7 support min-width and max-width? Which build?

The latest. Came out on March 20.

Test it here:
http://here.locusmeus.com/temp/min-max.html

--