Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > IE7 comments?

IE7 comments?

Noozer

Have many of you tried out MS Internet Exploder 7 yet? Any comments to how
it improves upon IE6? How does it compare to Firefox?

Dylan Parry

Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Noozer finally
proclaimed:

> Have many of you tried out MS Internet Exploder 7 yet?

Yes.

> Any comments to how it improves upon IE6?

The CSS support was better, but overall I found it slow and sluggish to
use. The main problem that I had with it was that the interface had
changed so much that it really wasn't nice - there were buttons all over
the place, and several in locations that I wasn't expecting to find
them. Also, the graphics for the buttons looked cheap and nasty, but I
expect that to change before the final release.

> How does it compare to Firefox?

It really doesn't. IMHO, Firefox/Opera/et al are still miles ahead in
terms of usability.

--
Dylan Parry

Toby Inkster

Noozer wrote:

> Have many of you tried out MS Internet Exploder 7 yet? Any comments to how
> it improves upon IE6? How does it compare to Firefox?

It's still pretty rubbish.

CSS parsing has improved leaps and bounds, so most of the old hacks for
MSIE won't work anymore. But CSS rendering hasn't improved much, so the
old hacks would still be quite useful if they worked!

That said, there have been a few CSS improvements that are worth
mentioning -- for instance, fixed positioning of elements and background
images now works properly. It's still a long way off full CSS 2.1 though.

PNG alpha blending works and there's a native XMLHTTPRequest object (no
ActiveX required for either of these now!)

The interface is horrible, both graphically and usability-wise, but I
expect they'll improve that -- after all, it's only a beta for now.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Els

Toby Inkster wrote:

> Noozer wrote:
>
>> Have many of you tried out MS Internet Exploder 7 yet? Any comments to how
>> it improves upon IE6? How does it compare to Firefox?

> It's still pretty rubbish.
>
> CSS parsing has improved leaps and bounds, so most of the old hacks for
> MSIE won't work anymore. But CSS rendering hasn't improved much, so the
> old hacks would still be quite useful if they worked!
>
> That said, there have been a few CSS improvements that are worth
> mentioning -- for instance, fixed positioning of elements and background
> images now works properly. It's still a long way off full CSS 2.1 though.

I like the min- and max-width and -height though.
But there's new bugs too, and IIUC they're not gonna change anything
anymore till the release.

> The interface is horrible, both graphically and usability-wise, but I
> expect they'll improve that -- after all, it's only a beta for now.

You're very optimistic...

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Now playing: Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Changing States

Nick Theodorakis

Dylan Parry wrote:
> Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Noozer finally
> proclaimed:
>
>> Have many of you tried out MS Internet Exploder 7 yet?

> Yes.

Any support for selectors like adjacent sibling (e.g., h2 + p) and
attribute selectors?

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis
contact form:

Dylan Parry

Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Nick
Theodorakis finally proclaimed:

> Any support for selectors like adjacent sibling (e.g., h2 + p) and
> attribute selectors?

Do you have a link to a page that demonstrates these? Then I can let you
know

--
Dylan Parry

TheBagbournes

You can't drag the tabs around to order them as you want like you can in
Firefox.

The UI layout is pugly.

The security warning at the top of your page if you've allowed script is
annoying.

Jim Higson

Nick Theodorakis wrote:

> Dylan Parry wrote:
>> Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Noozer finally
>> proclaimed:
>>
>>> Have many of you tried out MS Internet Exploder 7 yet?

>> Yes.
>>

> Any support for selectors like adjacent sibling (e.g., h2 + p) and
> attribute selectors?

This page suggest attribute selectors are in, since the (rather ugly) CSS
zen style he talks about uses them to show a different style in better
browsers.

http://www.stuffandnonsense.co.uk/ar...6_release.html

--
Jim
http://surfcore.co.uk

Bill

Very slow, liked tabed support, very buggy atm. Lots of firms do no
support it like online banking. Wait for windows vista

--
Bil

*Kind Regards
*Bill

*If you found the information useful then support us by clickin
a google advert.
This Message Was Posted Free At: UK Webmaster Forums: http://www.ukwebmasterforums.com/ - Prodly Hosted By Session 9 Ltd http://www.session9.co.uk

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Noozer" <(E-Mail Removed)>
writing in news:5V7Vf.177136$sa3.174239@pd7tw1no:

> Have many of you tried out MS Internet Exploder 7 yet? Any comments to
> how it improves upon IE6? How does it compare to Firefox?

Yup, I tried it, and as others have said, Opera and Firefox are miles
ahead. Heck, it can't even do mouse gestures yet.

But, this is what I find most intesting, Microsoft Internet Explorer
"createTextRange()" Code Execution <http://secunia.com/advisories/18680/>
specifically:
<quote>
The vulnerability has been confirmed on a fully patched system with
Internet Explorer 6.0 and Microsoft Windows XP SP2. The vulnerability has
also been confirmed in Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview (January
edition). Other versions may also be affected.
</quote>

--
Adrienne Boswell