Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > weird white (orange) spaces

weird white (orange) spaces

julian_m

I made a small example which shows a problem that I'm having with IE

Where does those orange spaces come from????

http://www.msys.com.ar/index0324.php

Note (only visible with msIE )

regards - jm

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"julian_m" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I made a small example which shows a problem that I'm having with IE
>
> Where does those orange spaces come from????
>
> http://www.msys.com.ar/index0324.php
>
> Note (only visible with msIE )
>
> regards - jm

Well, you must know you have orange in the background for things
from your css, take a look. When your "background: orange;" is
removed, the orange goes. As to why only in IE, you may need to
set margins and paddings to 0 or something like this, I am not
sure and work on a Mac....

--
dorayme

julian_m

dorayme wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> "julian_m" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I made a small example which shows a problem that I'm having with IE
> >
> > Where does those orange spaces come from????
> >
> > http://www.msys.com.ar/index0324.php
> >
> > Note (only visible with msIE )
> >
> > regards - jm

> Well, you must know you have orange in the background for things
> from your css, take a look.

Yes, It is intetionally to see the problem clear, note that in the
subject itself, I put "orange".
The problem is about weird spaces which aren't visible on ff, opera and
safari (as you told me before, I think you did)

> As to why only in IE, you may need to
> set margins and paddings to 0 or something like this,

That's the key, but I'm unable to fix it. I tried a lot of
combinations. That's why I'm here, you know...

regards - jm

Jukka K. Korpela

julian_m wrote:

> Yes, It is intetionally to see the problem clear, note that in the
> subject itself, I put "orange".

The name orange is an unfortunate choice, since it is not a defined name
by CSS 1.0 and CSS 2.0 specifications, so a standards-conforming browser
would ignore. In practice, there is no such browser, but still.

> The problem is about weird spaces which aren't visible on ff, opera and
> safari (as you told me before, I think you did)

On IE 7 beta 2 preview, I see the orange squares, then they are replaced
by the rounded corners. The CSS code looks complicated, so I'm not sure
what's going on, but quite understandably it may take a little time
before the images are loaded.

kchayka

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> The name orange is an unfortunate choice, since it is not a defined name
> by CSS 1.0 and CSS 2.0 specifications,

It is, however, one of the well-established X11 color names, which are
supported by many browsers, even Netscape 4.x.

IIRC, X11 color names are included in the CSS 3 spec.

Alan J. Flavell

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, kchayka wrote:

> Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> >
> > The name orange is an unfortunate choice, since it is not a
> > defined name by CSS 1.0 and CSS 2.0 specifications,

> It is, however, one of the well-established X11 color names, which
> are supported by many browsers, even Netscape 4.x.

That's as may be, but Jukka's advice is good: a browser has every
right to ignore it, supported by the CSS recommendations on error
handling.

> IIRC, X11 color names are included in the CSS 3 spec.

It's about compatibility. Be conservative in what you offer, and
liberal in what you accept. In CSS terms, that means CSS authors
should not offer newly-defined stuff unless willing to cope with the
consequences of it being ignored, whereas developers of software
should implement newly-defined stuff as soon as possible, while still
following the CSS mandates and guidelines about ignoring stuff that
they don't understand (i.e DON'T try to guess what the author might
have meant, as the consequences can be disastrous).

kchayka

julian_m wrote:

> Where does those orange spaces come from????
>
> http://www.msys.com.ar/index0324.php
>
> Note (only visible with msIE )

Your CSS does seem overly complicated. Why not try some templates that
are already well-tested? You can at least use them as an educational
tool to see how you might improve (and simplify) your own version.
<URL:http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=RoundedCorners>

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Alan J. Flavell quothed:

> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, kchayka wrote:
>
> > Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> > >
> > > The name orange is an unfortunate choice, since it is not a
> > > defined name by CSS 1.0 and CSS 2.0 specifications,

> > It is, however, one of the well-established X11 color names, which
> > are supported by many browsers, even Netscape 4.x.

> That's as may be, but Jukka's advice is good: a browser has every
> right to ignore it, supported by the CSS recommendations on error
> handling.
>
> > IIRC, X11 color names are included in the CSS 3 spec.

> It's about compatibility. Be conservative in what you offer, and
> liberal in what you accept. In CSS terms, that means CSS authors
> should not offer newly-defined stuff unless willing to cope with the
> consequences of it being ignored, whereas developers of software
> should implement newly-defined stuff as soon as possible, while still
> following the CSS mandates and guidelines about ignoring stuff that
> they don't understand (i.e DON'T try to guess what the author might
> have meant, as the consequences can be disastrous).

I was playing around with something like this the other day:

....in an attempt to avoid using .m3u redirection files. IE6 seemed to
try to open it as an image file in a new window! (FWIW, it worked in
Gecko and Opera offered a disappointing Open/Save dialog.)

--
Neredbojias

julian_m

kchayka wrote:
> julian_m wrote:
> >
> > Where does those orange spaces come from????
> >
> > http://www.msys.com.ar/index0324.php
> >
> > Note (only visible with msIE )

> Your CSS does seem overly complicated. Why not try some templates that
> are already well-tested? You can at least use them as an educational
> tool to see how you might improve (and simplify) your own version.
> <URL:http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=RoundedCorners>

Great link.
I'm making an even smaller example than I posted yesterday. I can't
believe that nobody here can fix it. It is very disappointing all the
issues regard compabilities among browsers. isn't it?

regards - jm

kchayka

Alan J. Flavell wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, kchayka wrote:
>
>> IIRC, X11 color names are included in the CSS 3 spec.

> CSS authors
> should not offer newly-defined stuff unless willing to cope with the
> consequences of it being ignored,

I totally agree. I just mentioned the X11 colors because they've been
around and fairly well supported for eons, even if they haven't been
official.

Frankly, I don't know why people want to use names in the first place,
especially if they're doing any graphics as part of the design or
looking for appropriate complementary colors. Numeric values are the
only way to go, AFAIC.