Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Setting up ability to purchase a single music track

Setting up ability to purchase a single music track

I have a friend whose daughter has written and recorded some songs.
She is thinking of having them available to download either as single
tracks or the whole CD.
I have *no* idea how to start with this. Anyone care to point me to a
tutorial as to how to make this available for purchase (e.g. PayPal) so
that once one person purchases a track, they simply do not send the URL
to someone else to get the same track free.
I know we are not talking super-stardom here, but for those in her
circle of influence who are interested, she may be able to make some
"pocket money" on the side through this.
Hoping there is a freeware option to this as extra cash will not be
abounding to put up front.
Her site will be a simple html effort for now.
Thanks

Toby Inkster

©® wrote:

> I have *no* idea how to start with this. Anyone care to point me to a
> tutorial as to how to make this available for purchase (e.g. PayPal) so
> that once one person purchases a track, they simply do not send the URL
> to someone else to get the same track free.

It's not an easy matter, so if this is just a one-off thing you may be
better off using a third-party service.

The first couple of hits here look OK:

http://www.google.com/search?q=sell+digital+files

The basic technique if you wanted to do it yourself would be:

1. gather any information you want from the user;
2. direct the user to your payment service and let them do their stuff;
3. receieve the user back from your payment service, who will hopefully
provide some verification that the user has payed properly, in the
form of a GET query string or POST data;
4. process that data, to make sure the user has paid, and set a cookie on
their system;
5. provide a link to the music file(s);
6. each music file should check for the presence of the cookie before
allowing itself to be downloaded. (Yoy may be able to achieve this
with Apache configuration directives, or a server-side script.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Ed Mullen

Toby Inkster wrote:
> ©® wrote:
>
>> I have *no* idea how to start with this. Anyone care to point me to a
>> tutorial as to how to make this available for purchase (e.g. PayPal) so
>> that once one person purchases a track, they simply do not send the URL
>> to someone else to get the same track free.

> It's not an easy matter, so if this is just a one-off thing you may be
> better off using a third-party service.
>
> The first couple of hits here look OK:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=sell+digital+files
>
> The basic technique if you wanted to do it yourself would be:
>
> 1. gather any information you want from the user;
> 2. direct the user to your payment service and let them do their stuff;
> 3. receieve the user back from your payment service, who will hopefully
> provide some verification that the user has payed properly, in the
> form of a GET query string or POST data;
> 4. process that data, to make sure the user has paid, and set a cookie on
> their system;
> 5. provide a link to the music file(s);
> 6. each music file should check for the presence of the cookie before
> allowing itself to be downloaded. (Yoy may be able to achieve this
> with Apache configuration directives, or a server-side script.

All well and good but once the file is downloaded there is no way to
prevent it from being shared/copied.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

"Ed Mullen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> All well and good but once the file is downloaded there is
> no way to prevent it from being shared/copied.

Yeah - good point! I was just hoping to not have a:
a href="mysong.mp3" download link which anyone can get to.
Thanks

Electronic purchase with the latest technology know this fantasticstore you make your purchase and receive in five days at home buy to resellor use propio jhom Python 0 07-31-2010 10:33 AM
insert track reference in mp3 track D@Z Computer Support 1 05-02-2008 03:32 PM
Old certification track vs new certification track. Barkley Hughes MCAD 5 11-12-2006 02:41 PM
Saving website music / identify music berksposter Computer Support 6 10-19-2004 03:29 AM
Music Synthesiser Track? Slarty Bartfast MCSE 2 06-30-2003 10:21 PM

Advertisments