Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > What are all these nonesence sites quoting mine but with no content?

What are all these nonesence sites quoting mine but with no content?

xyZed

I keep finding hundreds of so-called sites that appear (to me) to have
been created by robots. They make no sense at all, but they just
contain hundreds of snippets from other unrelated sites and have
affiliate links and adverts all over them.
Has anyone else noticed them?

--

Free washing machine help and advice.

www.washerhelp.co.uk

www.xyzed.co.uk/newsgroups/top-posting.html

xyZed

There is circumstantial evidence that on Thu, 23 Mar 2006 08:42:16
GMT, xyZed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> I keep finding hundreds of so-called sites that appear (to me) to have
> been created by robots. They make no sense at all, but they just
> contain hundreds of snippets from other unrelated sites and have
> affiliate links and adverts all over them.
> Has anyone else noticed them?

I forgot to mention that many of them (bizarrely) actually contain
links back to my site which I don't mind - but then again, if they are
spam sites, could that adversely affect mine?

--

Free washing machine help and advice.

www.washerhelp.co.uk

www.xyzed.co.uk/newsgroups/top-posting.html

Jonathan N. Little

xyZed wrote:
> There is circumstantial evidence that on Thu, 23 Mar 2006 08:42:16
> GMT, xyZed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> __________________________________________________ _____
>
>> I keep finding hundreds of so-called sites that appear (to me) to have
>> been created by robots. They make no sense at all, but they just
>> contain hundreds of snippets from other unrelated sites and have
>> affiliate links and adverts all over them.
>> Has anyone else noticed them?

> I forgot to mention that many of them (bizarrely) actually contain
> links back to my site which I don't mind - but then again, if they are
> spam sites, could that adversely affect mine?

I think they are akin to link farms, just pages of search engine
results. I see a lot with eBay auctions...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Jose

> I think they are akin to link farms, just pages of search engine results.

I've never heard of that. Do tell.

Jose
--
Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.

affiliateian@gmail.com

Some fo these sites definitely fall under the spamming category for
Search Engines. Most people are familiar with email spam, this is
literally Search Engine Spam. A common name used to describe these
sites are "Scraper Sites". They scrape the internet for info (like your
website) and automatically generate an unlimited number of pages based
on their scrape results. This practice is in hopes that search engines
will index their pages and bring traffic. Most of these websites will
run ads (like Adsense) or are simply hoping Search Engines will see
this an "normal" outbond linking for search engine optimization
purposes. This practice is definiteyl black hat in my opinion. Even the
origianl post suggest this: "They make no sense at all, but they just
contain hundreds of snippets from other unrelated sites and have
affiliate links and adverts all over them"

Hope this helps.

xyZed

There is circumstantial evidence that on 23 Mar 2006 13:04:19 -0800,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote

> ... This practice is definiteyl black hat in my opinion. Even the
> origianl post suggest this: "They make no sense at all, but they just
> contain hundreds of snippets from other unrelated sites and have
> affiliate links and adverts all over them"

It's also plagiarism. Are Google doing anything about them I wonder?
After all, they can potentially generate revenue from them. I wonder
if Adsense is genuinely interested in stopping this?

--

Free washing machine help and advice.

www.washerhelp.co.uk

www.xyzed.co.uk/newsgroups/top-posting.html

Jose

> Some fo these sites definitely fall under the spamming category for
> Search Engines. Most people are familiar with email spam, this is
> literally Search Engine Spam. A common name used to describe these
> sites are "Scraper Sites". They scrape the internet for info (like your
> website) and automatically generate an unlimited number of pages based
> on their scrape results. This practice is in hopes that search engines
> will index their pages and bring traffic. Most of these websites will
> run ads (like Adsense) or are simply hoping Search Engines will see
> this an "normal" outbond linking for search engine optimization
> purposes. This practice is definiteyl black hat in my opinion. Even the
> origianl post suggest this: "They make no sense at all, but they just
> contain hundreds of snippets from other unrelated sites and have
> affiliate links and adverts all over them"

So somebody creates a blank page, dumps everyone else's content into it,
and hopes to get hits on it (due to search engine referrals) and thus
fool advertisers into forking over money?

Jose
--

Jose wrote:
>> Some fo these sites definitely fall under the spamming category for
>> Search Engines. Most people are familiar with email spam, this is
>> literally Search Engine Spam. A common name used to describe these
>> sites are "Scraper Sites". They scrape the internet for info (like your
>> website) and automatically generate an unlimited number of pages based
>> on their scrape results. This practice is in hopes that search engines
>> will index their pages and bring traffic. Most of these websites will
>> run ads (like Adsense) or are simply hoping Search Engines will see
>> this an "normal" outbond linking for search engine optimization
>> purposes. This practice is definiteyl black hat in my opinion. Even the
>> origianl post suggest this: "They make no sense at all, but they just
>> contain hundreds of snippets from other unrelated sites and have
>> affiliate links and adverts all over them"

> So somebody creates a blank page, dumps everyone else's content into it,
> and hopes to get hits on it (due to search engine referrals) and thus
> fool advertisers into forking over money?

They are out there, seen them, but not sure what the 'authors' hope for...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

xyZed

There is circumstantial evidence that on Thu, 23 Mar 2006 08:44:27
GMT, xyZed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> There is circumstantial evidence that on Thu, 23 Mar 2006 08:42:16
> GMT, xyZed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> __________________________________________________ _____
>
> > I keep finding hundreds of so-called sites that appear (to me) to have
> > been created by robots. They make no sense at all, but they just
> > contain hundreds of snippets from other unrelated sites and have
> > affiliate links and adverts all over them.
> > Has anyone else noticed them?
>
> I forgot to mention that many of them (bizarrely) actually contain
> links back to my site which I don't mind - but then again, if they are
> spam sites, could that adversely affect mine?

Here's an example of the many sites I'm finding quoting mine.

http://omisil.halard.com/

This page is just a great big list of seemingly random quotes of
passages from disparate web sites (mine included) but bizarrely they
link back to the original source of the quote.

What I would like opinion on, is whether these unsolicited back links
are good - or harmful to the sites they are lifted from?