Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: drop down

Re: drop down

Gufus

Hi dorayme,

Thursday March 23 2006, dorayme writes to Gufus:

> From: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

> I've lost the original url you wanted if it is different to
> http://www.gypsy-designs.com This latter looks much better
> than the other the one you wanted, neater. Punters probably

Nope, thats just my main page, it still needs a make over.

The URL is: http://www.gypsy-designs.com/example2.html

This is the page I've been working on, all the ccs is now done and the drop
down menus too. The layout is wrong, I've been told.

A opinion on the coding, at one time, with all the tables I'm using another
programer said everything is overlapping on the layout. I'm not sure what he
meant by overlapping.. it looks fine in IE,FF,Netscape and Opera. I know I
have my links on top of a background image, but thats the way I wanted it.

Gufus

(E-Mail Removed)
http://www.gypsy-designs.com

.... Running Windows is no better than washing them.

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)134.z1.fidonet.org>,
(E-Mail Removed) (Gufus) wrote:

> Hi dorayme,
>
> Thursday March 23 2006, dorayme writes to Gufus:
>
> > From: (E-Mail Removed)

> > I've lost the original url you wanted if it is different to
> > http://www.gypsy-designs.com This latter looks much better
> > than the other the one you wanted, neater. Punters probably

> Nope, thats just my main page, it still needs a make over.
>
> The URL is: http://www.gypsy-designs.com/example2.html
>
> This is the page I've been working on, all the ccs is now done and the drop
> down menus too. The layout is wrong, I've been told.
>
> A opinion on the coding, at one time, with all the tables I'm using another
> programer said everything is overlapping on the layout. I'm not sure what he
> meant by overlapping.. it looks fine in IE,FF,Netscape and Opera. I know I
> have my links on top of a background image, but thats the way I wanted it.

Well, I think he might have meant the way the diagonal rects
overlap the pic to the left (especially on enlarging text). It
looks terrible (messy, confusing, hard to read...) this
overlapping when one narrows the width of the window. Honestly,
the main page is better looking, neater.

Same comments I used before apply to this page.

The only thing I can add is lose the html validation logo, it
would mean little to the punters and it is... I don't want to
hurt your feelings here Gufus... laughable to many of those who
do know, for this reason: those who know and use such a
validation service know that it means little when used with your
DTD, tables layout, javascript, deprecated code. It says nothing
about the aethetics or good webpage design. At best, it is a
necessary but a very far from sufficient condition of excellence.

Or put it this way, imagine selling a Russian car of 1960 vintage
(in brand new condition even) with a mechanical/environmental
validation sticker from 1971. The sticker, today, would look sad
as the car belched and hiccupped its way from the car
dealership...

--
dorayme