Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Question about sidebars in Designing a site.

Question about sidebars in Designing a site.

Jemdam.com

>> The http://www.pubtricks.com takes ages (minute or more) to load

> Hey, good on you for pointing that out. I didn't notice it on my fast
> cable.

It is on a dedicated server with a 10 meg line and on my 2 meg line at home
it runs fine.

Jemdam.com

All:

The orignal post was about side bars and not my HTML and my site. Amazing
how off topic it can go in a few minutes!

Gernot Frisch

> Firefox is pretty close to being a standards-conforming browser, so
> there's little excuse for having problems with it.

Is there any full-conforming browser? I mean: good looks, bad
userinterface or something? Or is Firefox the best?
Sorry for going off topic here.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Jemdam.com quothed:

> "Alan J. Flavell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed) la.ac.uk...
> > On Wed, 22 Mar 2006, Jemdam.com wrote

> Alan, you are a jerk. The post was about side bars and not MY HTML CODE.
> Some people on here are just a real pain. I want to provide feedback to a
> user. My site my have errors but this is not the topic.

Yeah, but what I wanna know is does your sidebars have drinks?

--
Neredbojias

Andy Dingley

red_dragon2983 wrote:

> I do not know if I should have a sidebar.

Yes.

Screens are big these days, so wide windows (in pixel terms) are a
reasonable expectation. At the same time, the old usability standard
of not making the text lines too long (in character terms) still
stands.

So the upshot is, we've got width to burn.

Go for your sidebar. It's either useful itself, or it adds a whitespace
margin around the text block. Both of these are generally good things
from a usability aspect.

If your users' screens are narrow (new devices) then they'll get forced
into sideways scrolling. As a sidebar isn't generally needed
simultaneously with reading the main content, then this isn't an
unreasonable constraint for the big content / small screen context.
Good design techniques help too (i.e. don't lay it out with a <table>
and expect it to be flexible design for funny window sizes).

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jemdam.com wrote:

>> Not just Firefox ... I can't read it. Dim grey text on a black
>> background with this:

>> Minus 1? Smaller than flyspecks. After increasing the size about
>> 150% or so, I can sort of begin to make out the words.
>>

> I have to get a lot of detail on each page, -1 and -2 are the only
> options or you get a site that looks crap. I have a sub note book and
> can read it perfectly well.

So then .. you have the best eyes on the planet? Better than 20/20 and
no colorblindness, eh?

Do you not care about visitors who may have vision problems? My vision,
with the spectacles, is actually quite good, and I am sitting closer and
squinting to read your content.

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jemdam.com wrote:

> "Alan J. Flavell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> On Wed, 22 Mar 2006, Jemdam.com wrote

> Alan, you are a jerk. The post was about side bars and not MY HTML
> CODE. Some people on here are just a real pain. I want to provide
> feedback to a user. My site my have errors but this is not the topic.

You offered your site as an example to the OP. The rest of us have been
attempting to show why your site is not a good example. Since sidebars
are created in CODE, your CODE (and design) is fair game for criticism.

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

JDS

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 08:39:37 +0000, Jemdam.com wrote:

> I have a sub note book and can read it
> perfectly well.

Key word there: "I" (meaning "you")

YOU can read it does not mean anyone else can. I have excellent vision,
but I don't have a sub-notebook, I have a 20" monitor at 1600x1200 pixel
resolution. The text is smaller than a tits on a flea. Plus it is light
grey. There are plenty of ways to increase the text size and keep the
site looking nice.

It's your site, do what you want, but don't expect a lot of visitors. Or
at least don't expect them to stick around.

later...

--
JDS | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid
| http://www.newtnotes.com

Andy Dingley

Jemdam.com wrote:

> I have to get a lot of detail on each page, -1 and -2 are the only options
> or you get a site that looks crap.

No they're not. You've found this newsgroup - you can search it (or
ciwah or ciwas) and find out just why not, and how to fix it instead.

You have an interesting page with good content. It really would be an
interesting and useful exercise to make it work properly with fluid
layout based on good markup.

Toby Inkster

http://tobyinkster.co.uk/web-fonts

--