Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > IE _top linking buggy? workaround available?

IE _top linking buggy? workaround available?

Thomas Maier-Komor

Hi everybody,

I have a problem with a certain link pattern that gets resolved wrong in
the IE, but works find on Firefox. Maybe somebody has an idea, how to
work around it.

I have an .html file that has a CSS and two div sections, the body
itself is empty. One div section has an embedded object of type
"text/html" that is a table of contents. This embedded object includes
links with target _top that are opened in Firefox in _top, but are
opened in IE in the div section that contains the object holding the
table of contents .html file. Understand what I mean?

Simplified code sample:
index.html:
<head>
<title>my title</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="default.css"/>
</head>
<object data="toc.html" type="text/html" height="100%"
width="220px"></object>

some text

toc.html:
<head>
<title>table of contents</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="toc.css"/>
</head>
<h3> header </h3>
<ul>
</ul>

This works perfectly in Firefox and has the advantage that I only need
to maintain a single file for the TOC, without server-side includes,
javascript, php, or anything else. But it does not work in Internet
Explorer...

I would be grateful for any hint or idea how to get it working.

TIA,
Tom

Jonathan N. Little

Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have a problem with a certain link pattern that gets resolved wrong in
> the IE, but works find on Firefox. Maybe somebody has an idea, how to
> work around it.
>
> I have an .html file that has a CSS and two div sections, the body
> itself is empty. One div section has an embedded object of type
> "text/html" that is a table of contents. This embedded object includes
> links with target _top that are opened in Firefox in _top, but are
> opened in IE in the div section that contains the object holding the
> table of contents .html file. Understand what I mean?

<snip code>

http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creating/include.html
WWW FAQs: How do I include one HTML file in another?

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Thomas Maier-Komor

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I have a problem with a certain link pattern that gets resolved wrong in
>> the IE, but works find on Firefox. Maybe somebody has an idea, how to
>> work around it.
>>
>> I have an .html file that has a CSS and two div sections, the body
>> itself is empty. One div section has an embedded object of type
>> "text/html" that is a table of contents. This embedded object includes
>> links with target _top that are opened in Firefox in _top, but are
>> opened in IE in the div section that contains the object holding the
>> table of contents .html file. Understand what I mean?
>>

> <snip code>
>

> http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creating/include.html
> WWW FAQs: How do I include one HTML file in another?

that's a nice link, but it only offers the solutions I cannot use and
explicitly excluded as an option in my original posting.

Any other idea concerning my problem? If not I am probably going to
cancel IE support, as it looks like a bug to me, how IE handles this
situation...

Jonathan N. Little

Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>> Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
>>> Hi everybody,
>>>
>>> I have a problem with a certain link pattern that gets resolved wrong in
>>> the IE, but works find on Firefox. Maybe somebody has an idea, how to
>>> work around it.
>>>
>>> I have an .html file that has a CSS and two div sections, the body
>>> itself is empty. One div section has an embedded object of type
>>> "text/html" that is a table of contents. This embedded object includes
>>> links with target _top that are opened in Firefox in _top, but are
>>> opened in IE in the div section that contains the object holding the
>>> table of contents .html file. Understand what I mean?
>>>

>> <snip code>
>>

>> http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creating/include.html
>> WWW FAQs: How do I include one HTML file in another?
>>

> that's a nice link, but it only offers the solutions I cannot use and
> explicitly excluded as an option in my original posting.
>
> Any other idea concerning my problem? If not I am probably going to
> cancel IE support, as it looks like a bug to me, how IE handles this
> situation...

My point was that is not how you should do file includes, Do you have a URL?

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
>> Jonathan N. Little wrote:

>>> <snip code>
>>>

>>> http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creating/include.html
>>> WWW FAQs: How do I include one HTML file in another?
>>>

>> that's a nice link, but it only offers the solutions I cannot use and
>> explicitly excluded as an option in my original posting.
>>
>> Any other idea concerning my problem? If not I am probably going to
>> cancel IE support, as it looks like a bug to me, how IE handles this
>> situation...

> My point was that is not how you should do file includes, Do you have a
> URL?

yes, www.maier-komor.de.

As I said, it works great on Firefox, but unfortunately IE fails to
handle the links in the navigation area.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Thomas Maier-Komor quothed:

> > My point was that is not how you should do file includes, Do you have a
> > URL?
> >

> yes, www.maier-komor.de.
>
> As I said, it works great on Firefox, but unfortunately IE fails to
> handle the links in the navigation area.

You have no closing object tag - </object>.

--
Neredbojias

Chris Sharman

Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
> Any other idea concerning my problem? If not I am probably going to
> cancel IE support, as it looks like a bug to me, how IE handles this
> situation...

Dumping 80-90% of potential visitors seems a fairly drastic own goal,
even for a personal site.

How about using ie include comments to make your site framed (for ie only).

I don't much like frames, or ie, but ie comments are a neat & compliant
solution.

Chris

Thomas Maier-Komor

Chris Sharman wrote:
> Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
>> Any other idea concerning my problem? If not I am probably going to
>> cancel IE support, as it looks like a bug to me, how IE handles this
>> situation...

> Dumping 80-90% of potential visitors seems a fairly drastic own goal,
> even for a personal site.

my visitors are >90% UNIX users that are interested in mbuffer. So IE
support is more or less just for completeness. But I am already having a
hard time getting the CSS right for IE. Selfhtml misses the details how
one calculates the margins and paddings for IE, it only has very short
examples without any further description.

> How about using ie include comments to make your site framed (for ie only).

I thought about this, but IFrames look awfully (I couldn't get rid of
the black frame). And normal frames can only be placed in rows and
columns. But doing it for IE like this might be an alternative, although
it sounds like doing all work double to me.

> I don't much like frames, or ie, but ie comments are a neat & compliant
> solution.

Could you point me to an example (not selfhtml) that goes a little bit
into the details of IE comments?

Thanks,
Tom

Jonathan N. Little

Neredbojias wrote:
> With neither quill nor qualm, Thomas Maier-Komor quothed:
>
>>> My point was that is not how you should do file includes, Do you have a
>>> URL?
>>>

>> yes, www.maier-komor.de.
>>
>> As I said, it works great on Firefox, but unfortunately IE fails to
>> handle the links in the navigation area.

> You have no closing object tag - </object>.

Yep, validation can help here:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...line&verbose=1
Result for http://www.maier-komor.de/ - W3C Markup Validator

You're on an Apache webserver, you must have PHP. This object include is
just so the 'wrong way' to do this....

index.php:

<head>
<title>Welcome to maier-komor.de</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="default.css">
</head>
<?php include_once('toc.html');?>

<h1>Welcome to maier-komor.de</h1>
This is the web site of Thomas Maier-Komor.
Maier-Komor</a></address>

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Neredbojias wrote:
>> With neither quill nor qualm, Thomas Maier-Komor quothed:

>>> yes, www.maier-komor.de.
>>>
>>> As I said, it works great on Firefox, but unfortunately IE fails to
>>> handle the links in the navigation area.

>> You have no closing object tag - </object>.
>>

> Yep, validation can help here:
>
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...line&verbose=1
>
> Result for http://www.maier-komor.de/ - W3C Markup Validator
>

> You're on an Apache webserver, you must have PHP. This object include is
> just so the 'wrong way' to do this....
>
> index.php:

> <head>
> <title>Welcome to maier-komor.de</title>
> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="default.css">
> </head>
> <?php include_once('toc.html');?>

> <h1>Welcome to maier-komor.de</h1>
> This is the web site of Thomas Maier-Komor.
> Maier-Komor</a></address>

I tested PHP before, but I am not allowed to use it. Your sample
(test.html and test.php) on my server just does not include the
requested file.

My provider disables PHP and SIS explicitly for me, because I don't pay
enough So I will probably have to invest the additional ~60EUR/year
to get PHP or SIS or switch to another provider.

Does anybody know a decent German provider that overs either SIS or PHP
at < 30EUR/year?

Thanks anyway for all comments.

Cheers,
Tom

Any hints why Firefox won't honor target=_top? .._.. HTML 4 12-10-2009 01:14 AM
a target=_top in iframes ojorus HTML 4 08-27-2007 09:26 AM
servlets - redirecting to a new url and _top browser ppcguy Java 0 07-28-2005 08:35 PM
asp:button and response.redirect _top Jim in Arizona ASP .Net 5 02-02-2005 09:38 PM
Overriding _top target Jon Glazer HTML 3 10-09-2004 05:43 PM

Advertisments