Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > ISO CD Image file is being sent as HTML

ISO CD Image file is being sent as HTML

jstorta

I have the following link in a document

<A href="mycdimage.iso">Test Image</A>

When I click on it in a browser it opens it as though it were and HTML
file and starts putting random characters in the window.

If I right click and select Save Target As, it allows me to save it but
says the file type is HTML and tacks on an htm extension to it.

I have gone to other sites and can download iso images without any
problems so I've determined that the problem is on my web server not
the browser.

The web server uses Apache Tomcat and the document is a java server
page. This link is just straight HTML code though.

Is there something I am supposed to include in the document or anchor
tag to indicate that this is a binary file that should be saved when
clicked or does this sound like a tomcat/JSP problem?

Thanks,

Switchy

Do you use Mozzila as your web browser?

"jstorta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I have the following link in a document
>
> <A href="mycdimage.iso">Test Image</A>
>
> When I click on it in a browser it opens it as though it were and HTML
> file and starts putting random characters in the window.
>
> If I right click and select Save Target As, it allows me to save it but
> says the file type is HTML and tacks on an htm extension to it.
>
> I have gone to other sites and can download iso images without any
> problems so I've determined that the problem is on my web server not
> the browser.
>
> The web server uses Apache Tomcat and the document is a java server
> page. This link is just straight HTML code though.
>

> Is there something I am supposed to include in the document or anchor
> tag to indicate that this is a binary file that should be saved when
> clicked or does this sound like a tomcat/JSP problem?
>
> Thanks,

Jim Higson

jstorta wrote:

> I have the following link in a document
>
> <A href="mycdimage.iso">Test Image</A>
>
> When I click on it in a browser it opens it as though it were and HTML
> file and starts putting random characters in the window.
>
> If I right click and select Save Target As, it allows me to save it but
> says the file type is HTML and tacks on an htm extension to it.
>
> I have gone to other sites and can download iso images without any
> problems so I've determined that the problem is on my web server not
> the browser.
>
> The web server uses Apache Tomcat and the document is a java server
> page. This link is just straight HTML code though.
>

> Is there something I am supposed to include in the document or anchor
> tag to indicate that this is a binary file that should be saved when
> clicked or does this sound like a tomcat/JSP problem?

You need to configure the server to send out the right Content-Type header
with the ISO. This is how the browser knows what type the file is.

--
Jim

Jonathan N. Little

Switchy wrote:
> Do you use Mozzila as your web browser?

Don't top post please.

A: Not according to his header

..NET CLR 1.1.4322),gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, jstorta quothed:

> I have the following link in a document
>
> <A href="mycdimage.iso">Test Image</A>
>
> When I click on it in a browser it opens it as though it were and HTML
> file and starts putting random characters in the window.
>
> If I right click and select Save Target As, it allows me to save it but
> says the file type is HTML and tacks on an htm extension to it.
>
> I have gone to other sites and can download iso images without any
> problems so I've determined that the problem is on my web server not
> the browser.
>
> The web server uses Apache Tomcat and the document is a java server
> page. This link is just straight HTML code though.
>

> Is there something I am supposed to include in the document or anchor
> tag to indicate that this is a binary file that should be saved when
> clicked or does this sound like a tomcat/JSP problem?

It sounds like the server is not exercising the right isometrics.

--
Neredbojias

Switchy

The reason that I asked you if you use Mozzila is:

IE can recognize a lot of extensions,
otherwise, with mozzila you have to contact your provider
who can define the extension on server.

That happens to me with MSI (Microsoft Installer) extension.

DO not use Mozzila is just a game for kids.

"jstorta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I have the following link in a document
>
> <A href="mycdimage.iso">Test Image</A>
>
> When I click on it in a browser it opens it as though it were and HTML
> file and starts putting random characters in the window.
>
> If I right click and select Save Target As, it allows me to save it but
> says the file type is HTML and tacks on an htm extension to it.
>
> I have gone to other sites and can download iso images without any
> problems so I've determined that the problem is on my web server not
> the browser.
>
> The web server uses Apache Tomcat and the document is a java server
> page. This link is just straight HTML code though.
>

> Is there something I am supposed to include in the document or anchor
> tag to indicate that this is a binary file that should be saved when
> clicked or does this sound like a tomcat/JSP problem?
>
> Thanks,

Alan J. Flavell

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006, Switchy blurted out atop a fullquote (and on
usenet we already know what that's likely to indicate), in response to
"jstorta":

> The reason that I asked you if you use Mozzila is:
>
> IE can recognize a lot of extensions,

In clear text: MSIE violates a mandatory requirement of the HTTP
protocol.

> otherwise, with mozzila you have to contact your provider
> who can define the extension on server.

What you're thinking of is true for all WWW-compatible browsers, by
definition. Not only Mozilla.

> That happens to me with MSI (Microsoft Installer) extension.

Browsers usually provide a way for the recipient to download content
from a link, even if the sender gets the type wrong. But the *user*
has to ask for it deliberately (e.g shift/click). The HTTP protocol
prohibits browsers from unilaterally overriding the server-provided
content type.

> DO not use Mozzila is just a game for kids.

You'd have to draw your own conclusions about whether to take advice
from someone who can't even spell Mozilla, let alone caring to follow
netiquette, and can't seem to recognise the difference between a
WWW-compatible browser and an operating system component which, all
too frequently, is too clever for the security of its users.

"Switchy" doesn't even know what principles MSIE uses in violating
this mandatory requirement. Looking at the filename extension is
pretty much its *last* resort when guessing at content type - as MS's
own documentation would have told him.

cheers

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Switchy quothed:

> DO not use Mozzila is just a game for kids.

Oh, the Humanities!

Are you serious? Firefox is the best browser out there. Come out from
under that rock and smell the new millennium air!

--
Neredbojias

Switchy

Yes,

where is the basic alt="text" option?

"Neredbojias" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> With neither quill nor qualm, Switchy quothed:
>
> > DO not use Mozzila is just a game for kids.

> Oh, the Humanities!
>
> Are you serious? Firefox is the best browser out there. Come out from
> under that rock and smell the new millennium air!
>
> --
> Neredbojias
> Contrary to popular belief, it is believable.

Jonathan N. Little

Switchy wrote:

Stop top posting please.

> Yes,
>
> where is the basic alt="text" option?

What, do your mean showing the 'tool tip' with an image's alt text? If
so the reason is because it is not supposed to. The alt text if for when
the image is unavailable. If you want the tool tip use the title
attribute. Does have to be on an image either.

<h1 title="Heading tooltip!">Test Tooltip</h1>

--
Take care,

Jonathan