Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Possible? <a href="asdf.html" target="_blank"> without menus, toolbar, status, etc..

Possible? <a href="asdf.html" target="_blank"> without menus, toolbar, status, etc..

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, John quothed:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to open a new window via <a href="asdf.html" target="_blank">
> without menus, toolbar, status, etc..?

No.

> I realize I can do this with window.open(), but would prefer not to use js
> if possible.

Modern browsers really don't allow this, either. You can strip some
things off, yes, but not all. The best "solution" is to just use the
f11 key.

--
Neredbojias

John

"Neredbojias" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[snip]
>> I realize I can do this with window.open(), but would prefer not to use
>> js
>> if possible.

> Modern browsers really don't allow this, either. You can strip some
> things off, yes, but not all. The best "solution" is to just use the
> f11 key.

Oh ... btw ... I'm not trying to create a window that can't be closed. It's
not a porn site!

Thanks Neredbojias

Safalra

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 07:56:13 -0500, John wrote:
> Basically this is an internal app to calculate outcomes for different
> models. While the user is selecting source data to use, they may not know
> which source data to use, so I am providing a summarized data dump to
> display that data.
>
> I could just open it in the current window, but :
> [snip]
> -They can't compare data side by side

Then why not by default display the form and the summarised data dump
side-by-side in one page? You could then add on some Javascript to hide the
dump for users with Javascript until they click a button to reveal it.

--
Safalra (Stephen Morley)
http://www.safalra.com/hypertext/

Jose

> Thanks for the feedback, but it's a user spec.

Your job includes educating the user. You (the web designer) are the
only buffer between idiot specs and hapless users. Bad design (which
you are being asked to do) annoys the end user and drives traffic away.

Jose

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, John quothed:

> Oh ... btw ... I'm not trying to create a window that can't be closed. It's
> not a porn site!

Shucks...

--
Neredbojias

dorayme

In article <P9URf.3127$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Why open a new window?
>
> Basically this is an internal app to calculate outcomes for different
> models. While the user is selecting source data to use, they may not know
> which source data to use, so I am providing a summarized data dump to
> display that data.
>
> I could just open it in the current window, but :
> -Any changes would be lost
> -They can't compare data side by side
> -They can't leave the data open to refer to
> -I'd have the extra task of persisting changes .. it's a complex pg, I'm in
> a hurry, & I'm lazy.
>
> So, that being said, the "client request", it may actually be the best
> implimentation.
>
> Sincerely,
> John

A frameset with 2 frames would be close to perfect for this, you
could have as much scrollable data as you like. Just use frames
if you are really lazy and in a hurry, You won't be in as much
trouble as Saddam Hussein.

The other thing you can do is put the data in a straight out
link. Remember that many people now have tabbed browsing and can
compare two pages at the click of a tab. And they can also open
links in separate windows if they want. You could give a few
hints about this on your pages to assist those that might not be
as adept...

Or just use -blank and don't worry about the menus, the extra
window will open auto (and for those with tabbed browsers, they
might even open in a tab instead if the user has set prefs
appropriately (I think).

Then there are solutions to do with simply putting the data on
the same page and letting the user scroll (if need be). Probably
the simplest and best! Remember, the user himself or herself can
open a duplicate window and have one set as scrolled a certain
way (say to show the data) and another set a different way (to
show the app or whatever) in either separate windows or in tabs.

As you can see, all these things have overlapping similiarities.
But be a devil and use frames. I want this technology kept alive
and I am counting on you.

--
dorayme

Stan McCann

"John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news9URf.3127$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi,
>
> Why open a new window?
>
> Basically this is an internal app to calculate outcomes for
> different models. While the user is selecting source data to use,
> they may not know which source data to use, so I am providing a
> summarized data dump to display that data.
>
> I could just open it in the current window, but :
> -Any changes would be lost
> -They can't compare data side by side
> -They can't leave the data open to refer to
> -I'd have the extra task of persisting changes .. it's a complex pg,
> I'm in a hurry, & I'm lazy.
>
> So, that being said, the "client request", it may actually be the
> best implimentation.

It is NOT the best solution. I MUST deal with that crap every day due
to my job. The top level folks don't seem to care about those of us
down here that could tell them the best way if we were allowed. I was
even on the "committee" that made all these decisions. I was told
about ONE meeting. It was pretty clear from the beginning that the big
shots were going to do what they wanted to do.

Come oooon retirement. I hate all these new windows inflicted on me.
There is NO reason in my case and I'd venture to guess that there is no
good reason in yours either. The users (you know, those people you're
building web sites to use) will hate it. If they really do want
another window so they can compare side by side, they'll open one. If
they don't know how, they'll learn.

--
Stan McCann, "Uncle Pirate" http://stanmccann.us/
Webmaster, NMSU at Alamogordo http://alamo.nmsu.edu/

dorayme

In article <Xns978798F1793CAstanmccann@216.234.192.142>,
Stan McCann <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I hate all these new windows inflicted on me.

In FF (at least) there is a pref to make these open in tabs. At
least, this is less irritating, no?

--
dorayme

Stan McCann

dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:doraymeRidThis-

> In article <Xns978798F1793CAstanmccann@216.234.192.142>,
> Stan McCann <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I hate all these new windows inflicted on me.

> In FF (at least) there is a pref to make these open in tabs. At
> least, this is less irritating, no?

Oh yeah, I use that. Unfortunately, this stuff at work "requires" a
new window. I'm not sure what they are doing with it but it won't work
in a new tab; it must be a window opening immediately. The only thing
that's going to get me away from this mess is retirement. Four more
years!

I have to use this stuff as it is how I turn in my leave reports and
approve my employees time. It's what I must use (logging into two
different areas) to verify that students are students and to change
their passwords into this awful system that they use for email,
checking grades, etc.

It's really a sad mess; the systems that I must log into and use to
verify students and fix password problems often has pages with only one
or two links. In one area (approving time), I log in and select an
Employee "tab" (link to another generated page) that has two links on
it, "self service links" and "administration." I don't know what's on
the "administration" page as I have different administrative rights;
I've never used that one. So I click on "self service links" which
refreshes the page opnening the self service links up to links such as
enter time, enter leave, and several others all of which take you to
the same page! And that page has the very same choices to go over
again. On and on.

It takes me a good minute or more just to get to the screen where I can
finally see my employees listed. It really is a rediculous waste of
time. I just can't get over the fact that there are so many steps to
get to what I need; and so many pages where there are only a very small
number of links(choices) and only one of which ever applies to me.
Nice millions$ CMS, huh? Luminus. Bah, I can do better with my
*novice* PHP programming.

--
Stan McCann, "Uncle Pirate" http://stanmccann.us/
Webmaster, NMSU at Alamogordo http://alamo.nmsu.edu/
Now blocking Google Grouper posts and replies.
http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Stan McCann quothed:

> dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:doraymeRidThis-
> (E-Mail Removed):
>
> > In article <Xns978798F1793CAstanmccann@216.234.192.142>,
> > Stan McCann <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> I hate all these new windows inflicted on me.

> > In FF (at least) there is a pref to make these open in tabs. At
> > least, this is less irritating, no?
> >

> Oh yeah, I use that. Unfortunately, this stuff at work "requires" a
> new window. I'm not sure what they are doing with it but it won't work
> in a new tab; it must be a window opening immediately. The only thing
> that's going to get me away from this mess is retirement. Four more
> years!

I heard that in 3 years they're going to up the retirement age 5 years
so... Well, never mind.

--
Neredbojias