Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > stupid problem but client is going bonkers

stupid problem but client is going bonkers

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jim Moe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
> >
> > I hope that not too many of you folk are tearing their hair out
> > at the fact that this impossible dog's breakfast markup results
> > in a look that is nicer than the majority of better coded sites...
> >

> No one has ever said (well, maybe someone has) that beautiful, useful
> websites cannot be done with tables. Obviously there are many that succeed
> wonderfully.

No disagreement here.

> When web designer's are finally re-trained to better use HTML and CSS as
> intended, we'll start seeing sites that are at least as good as those
> created with legacy coding.

Maybe. I hope so. The best eyes have come from the print/paper
industry. Tables, because of their power to mimic via their
splicing abilities, are naturally more congenial to such folk.
Yes, (so the attitude might go) bugger bandwidth, bugger
fluidity, bugger maintenance, bugger those silly little PDAs and
sorry to folks with visual impairments, but my, what counts is
how it looks on a 17" colour screen at 1024 x 768 in millions of
colours...

But things are changing and good eyes belong also to folk coming
thru the ranks as webdesigners from the bottom up...

Perhaps the image of a giant smoking steamroller running over
alt.html is a little overwrought... but, just look out there!

--
dorayme

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Jim Moe
<(E-Mail Removed)> declared in alt.html:

> When web designer's are finally re-trained to better use HTML and CSS as
> intended, we'll start seeing sites that are at least as good as those
> created with legacy coding.

No doubt you (plural, not just Jim) are aware of
http://csszengarden.com/ - the code is overly convoluted due to the
nature of the site, but still an interesting example of what CSS is
capable of.

--
Mark Parnell

Now implementing http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mark Parnell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> No doubt you (plural, not just Jim) are aware of
> http://csszengarden.com/ - the code is overly convoluted due to the
> nature of the site, but still an interesting example of what CSS is
> capable of.

No doubt at all....

Listen, Mark, nothing can illustrate better the cheeky and
dangerous raw talent of those upstarts, the no-good, low-down,
tricky Safricans, than the other day... I hardly need to remind
you anymore...

--
dorayme

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme
<(E-Mail Removed)> declared in alt.html:

> Listen, Mark, nothing can illustrate better the cheeky and
> dangerous raw talent of those upstarts, the no-good, low-down,
> tricky Safricans, than the other day... I hardly need to remind
> you anymore...

SHHHHHHHH!

--
Mark Parnell

Now implementing http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 07:44:27 +1100, dorayme
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>what counts is
>how it looks on a 17" colour screen at 1024 x 768 in millions of
>colours...

Not much looks worse than one of those sites.

5 years on, now that I'm running at 1600x1200 and the original site
cowers in a corner and refuses to get any bigger.

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Andy Dingley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 07:44:27 +1100, dorayme
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >what counts is
> >how it looks on a 17" colour screen at 1024 x 768 in millions of
> >colours...

> Not much looks worse than one of those sites.
>
> 5 years on, now that I'm running at 1600x1200 and the original site
> cowers in a corner and refuses to get any bigger.

it looks bad the way you quote me (without context)... I know I
have no reputation to uphold but still...

[me too, a 1600 x 1200... plus really much more as I run more
than one screen (all "as one" rather than mirrored). ... as it
happens I have one 17" at 1024 x 1200 in the line up and it is
quite a reasonable thing to use for web pages. It is a more
"accurate" experience than looking at a site in a corner of a big
monitor. Or should I say, an easier one, not requiring a suitable
change in text size to reflect liklihoods...]

--
dorayme

JDS

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 05:27:10 -0500, Carolyn Marenger wrote:

> With the exception that the majority of your
> hopeful customers won't be using konqueror, it would in my mind be a
> critical issue.

Except that Konqueror provides a very good representation of how a web
page looks in Safari on Mac OSX. So saying "Konqueror", one is basically
also saying "Mac users" (well, a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the
idea).

--
JDS | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid
| http://www.newtnotes.com

DVD/CD-RW Drive Goes Bonkers With Blank Disc SJ Carter Computer Support 2 11-16-2007 04:35 AM
stupid stupid stupid kpg MCSE 17 11-26-2004 02:59 PM
Stupid is as Stupid Does! Michael P Gabriel Digital Photography 3 06-26-2004 12:49 PM
VPN going up but traffic going one way PLP Cisco 1 07-11-2003 08:28 AM

Advertisments