Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > How define the fonts for the whole table?

How define the fonts for the whole table?

Stan McCann

"Greg N." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:duufpt$eim$(E-Mail Removed):

> Greg N. wrote:

> Oops, sorry. Make that

Oops, I missed that too. <slapping forehead>Duh!</slapping forehead>

--
Stan McCann, "Uncle Pirate" http://stanmccann.us/
Webmaster, NMSU at Alamogordo http://alamo.nmsu.edu/

dorayme

In article <Xns978311CA5A948arbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121>,
Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Manfred Ullrich"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:4412984a$0$12927$9b4e6d93
> @newsread4.arcor-online.net:
>
> > the font-definition outside the table is not valid within the table.
> > I have to define it in every <td> within the table..
> > Isn't it possible to define it once for the whole table?
> >
> > Thanks, Manfred
> >

> Sure.
>
> table {font-family: arial, verdana, sans-serif; font-size:100%;}

Just a small side matter here, if I may...

Should this suggestion not be:

table {font-family: Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size:100%;} ?

On the ground that the font name does not "belong" to css (things
that do so "belong" are case insensitive)

--
dorayme

dorayme

In article
<4412b11f$0$12228$(E-Mail Removed)-online.net>,
"Manfred Ullrich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > table {font-family: arial, verdana, sans-serif; font-size:100%;}
> >

> I suppose your hint only works with stylesheets.
> Isn't it possible to manage the problem without stylesheets?

Ah! So that's your game...

--
dorayme

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Manfred Ullrich ((E-Mail Removed)) feverishly
typed...
> I suppose your hint only works with stylesheets.
> Isn't it possible to manage the problem without stylesheets?

Now... why on Earth would you want to do that???

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss http://www.nigenet.org.uk
Mail address will bounce. http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) | Take the DOG. out!

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:doraymeRidThis-
(E-Mail Removed):

>> table {font-family: arial, verdana, sans-serif; font-size:100%;}

> Just a small side matter here, if I may...
>
> Should this suggestion not be:
>
> table {font-family: Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size:100%;} ?
>
> On the ground that the font name does not "belong" to css (things
> that do so "belong" are case insensitive)

Maybe. For me, it's a writing style. I write just about everything
(markup/scripting) in lower case, with the exception of SQL keywords.

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

dorayme

In article <Xns9783DA4546A9Barbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121>,
Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:doraymeRidThis-
> (E-Mail Removed):
>
> >> table {font-family: arial, verdana, sans-serif; font-size:100%;}

> > Just a small side matter here, if I may...
> >
> > Should this suggestion not be:
> >
> > table {font-family: Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size:100%;} ?
> >
> > On the ground that the font name does not "belong" to css (things
> > that do so "belong" are case insensitive)
> >

> Maybe. For me, it's a writing style. I write just about everything
> (markup/scripting) in lower case, with the exception of SQL keywords.

Well, I was wondering if, when we do this, it works fine only by
the grace of browsers (which might not be actually obliged to
recognise a font name in lower case? URLs are case sensitive and
occur in css, they will not always work well (online) if the
capital letters that are "supposed" to be in them are rendered as
lower case. In this latter, it would be unwise to adopt your
"writing style". But perhaps there is a different issue involved
in font names... perhaps the css somehow passes a request to the
system of the particular user's computer and the request is
"case-insensitive" (sensibly, what would be the chance of 2
fonts, verdana and Verdana)

--
dorayme

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:doraymeRidThis-
(E-Mail Removed):

> In article <Xns9783DA4546A9Barbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121>,
> Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:doraymeRidThis-
>> (E-Mail Removed):

>> > Just a small side matter here, if I may...
>> >
>> > Should this suggestion not be:
>> >
>> > table {font-family: Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size:100%;} ?
>> >
>> > On the ground that the font name does not "belong" to css (things
>> > that do so "belong" are case insensitive)
>> >

>> Maybe. For me, it's a writing style. I write just about everything
>> (markup/scripting) in lower case, with the exception of SQL keywords.

> Well, I was wondering if, when we do this, it works fine only by
> the grace of browsers (which might not be actually obliged to
> recognise a font name in lower case? URLs are case sensitive and
> occur in css, they will not always work well (online) if the
> capital letters that are "supposed" to be in them are rendered as
> lower case. In this latter, it would be unwise to adopt your
> "writing style". But perhaps there is a different issue involved
> in font names... perhaps the css somehow passes a request to the
> system of the particular user's computer and the request is
> "case-insensitive" (sensibly, what would be the chance of 2
> fonts, verdana and Verdana)

CSS itself is case sensitive, so #MyHeader and <h1 id="myheader"> are not
the same. I found the out the hard way. Another one of the reasons I don't
like mixed case.

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

Alan J. Flavell

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, dorayme wrote:

> In article <Xns9783DA4546A9Barbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121>,
> Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Maybe. For me, it's a writing style. I write just about everything
> > (markup/scripting) in lower case, with the exception of SQL keywords.

> Well, I was wondering if, when we do this, it works fine only by
> the grace of browsers (which might not be actually obliged to
> recognise a font name in lower case?

The way in which a user agent matches a CSS font-family description
with one of the available fonts is deliberately not specified in
detail: it's left to implementers to decide how to make the best
match. For example, what should happen if the CSS specifies "Times",
and the user has "Times New Roman" (and not "Times")?

It stands to reason, though, that if a font is named "FooBar", then
the *best* way to match it, across different browsers and font
management systems, is by specifying "FooBar", rather than maybe
"foobar" or "Foobar" or "FOOBAR".

> URLs are case sensitive and occur in css, they will not always work
> well (online) if the capital letters that are "supposed" to be in
> them are rendered as lower case.

This kind of analogy is not, in general, helpful. One has to consult
the actual specifications to know what is intended[1]

Sure: URLs are case-sensitive, by definition. But font name matching
is not so clearly defined.

> (sensibly, what would be the chance of 2 fonts, verdana and Verdana)

Well, I've got a font family called "Monospace". CSS understands
monospace as a font keyword. They aren't (necessarily) the same font.
And the browsers know it.

h t h

[1] and then, I'm afraid, one usually has to examine MS's Operating
System Component, to see which of the mandatory requirements they
decided to break *this* time - fortunately, the other browser
developers can't afford to spit in the face of the specifications in
that way, so there's normally only that one troublemaker to worry
about.

dorayme

In article <Xns978488B34C85Earbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121>,
Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> CSS itself is case sensitive, so #MyHeader and <h1 id="myheader"> are not
> the same. I found the out the hard way. Another one of the reasons I don't
> like mixed case.

Well, I think it is more true to say "CSS itself" is case
insensitive. There are special issues surrounding ids and classes
re their interpretation by browsers and the html (which has case
sensitivities). I still wonder about your use of "verdana"? It
looks wrong to me.

Generally I find it helpful to use case for readability, as in
#featuresColumn { etc in the CSS and id="featuresColumn" in the
html. But just be very consistent in this across in the html.
Yes, I realise you like to avoid the need by using all lower...

In the above name, #featuresColumn and #featurescolumn would be
quite the same as far as the CSS is concerned:

eg. one could have #featuresColumn p {color:red} and later in the
CSS sheet (or in a supplementary sheet), #featurescolumn p
{color:blue}

As far as the css is saying, all p paras in the id that is spelt
f e a t u r e s c o l u m n should be blue.

Browsers will react differently according to how they read the
standards, since ids and classes are mentioned in both css and
html, the former being case insensitive the latter sometimes at
least being case sensitive, there is somewhat a conflict of
interest.

--
dorayme