Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > How define the fonts for the whole table?

Reply
Thread Tools

How define the fonts for the whole table?

 
 
Manfred Ullrich
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-11-2006
the font-definition outside the table is not valid within the table.
I have to define it in every <td> within the table..
Isn't it possible to define it once for the whole table?

Thanks, Manfred


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Adrienne Boswell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-11-2006
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Manfred Ullrich"
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:4412984a$0$12927$9b4e6d93
@newsread4.arcor-online.net:

> the font-definition outside the table is not valid within the table.
> I have to define it in every <td> within the table..
> Isn't it possible to define it once for the whole table?
>
> Thanks, Manfred
>
>
>


Sure.

table {font-family: arial, verdana, sans-serif; font-size:100%;}

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
Please respond to the group so others can share
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Manfred Ullrich
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-11-2006

"Adrienne Boswell" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Xns978311CA5A948arbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121. ..
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Manfred Ullrich"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:4412984a$0$12927$9b4e6d93
> @newsread4.arcor-online.net:
>
> > the font-definition outside the table is not valid within the table.
> > I have to define it in every <td> within the table..
> > Isn't it possible to define it once for the whole table?
> >
> > Thanks, Manfred
> >
> >
> >

>
> Sure.
>
> table {font-family: arial, verdana, sans-serif; font-size:100%;}
>

I suppose your hint only works with stylesheets.
Isn't it possible to manage the problem without stylesheets?

Thanks, Manfred


 
Reply With Quote
 
Greg N.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-11-2006
Manfred Ullrich wrote:

>>table {font-family: arial, verdana, sans-serif; font-size:100%;}

>
> I suppose your hint only works with stylesheets.
> Isn't it possible to manage the problem without stylesheets?


If it is external style sheets that you're uncomfortable with, you can
put a style section within the <head> part of your document:

<head>
<style type="text/css">
table {font-family: arial, verdana, sans-serif; font-size:100%;}
</style>
</head>

And if you feel that's still too exotic, you can put the style attribute
in the <table> tag itself, like so:

<table style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size:100%;}">

--
Gregor mit dem Motorrad auf Reisen:
http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Greg N.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-11-2006
Greg N. wrote:

> <table style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size:100%;}">


Oops, sorry. Make that
<table style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size:100%;">


--
Gregor mit dem Motorrad auf Reisen:
http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Toby Inkster
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-11-2006
Manfred Ullrich wrote:

> I suppose your hint only works with stylesheets.
> Isn't it possible to manage the problem without stylesheets?


Why? Using stylesheets is so much easier.

This is 2006, not 1996. CSS has wide support.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact

 
Reply With Quote
 
Manfred Ullrich
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-11-2006

"Greg N." <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:duufpt$eim$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greg N. wrote:
>
> > <table style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size:100%;}">

>
> Oops, sorry. Make that
> <table style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size:100%;">
>

Thank you,
I think when more than one table is on a page than this is the only way to treat the tables differently.
Isn't it?

Regards, Manfred


 
Reply With Quote
 
Toby Inkster
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-11-2006
Manfred Ullrich wrote:

> I think when more than one table is on a page than this is the only way
> to treat the tables differently. Isn't it?


Nope.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-11-2006
Manfred Ullrich wrote:

> "Greg N." <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:duufpt$eim$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Greg N. wrote:
>>
>>
>>><table style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size:100%;}">

>>
>>Oops, sorry. Make that
>><table style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size:100%;">
>>

> Thank you,
> I think when more than one table is on a page than this is the only way to treat the tables differently.
> Isn't it?


No, if you have more than one table that your wish to style differently
they you can style by 'id' or 'class'.

CSS:
..naked {
border: 0;
border-collapse: collapse;
}

..naked TD { padding .5em; }

..funky {
border: 5px dotted red;
border-collapse: separate;
border-spacing: 1em;
}

..funky TD {
color: lime;
background-color: black;
border: 10px solid yellow;
}


HTML:
<table class="naked">
<tr><td>Table</td><td>Has</td></tr>
<tr><td>No</td><td>borders</td></tr>
</table>

<table class="funky">
<tr><td>Table</td><td>Has</td></tr>
<tr><td>borders</td><td>but</td></tr>
<tr><td>is</td><td>UGLY</td></tr>
</table>


By having the CSS in a separate file you can change the look of your
site by only having to change ONE file.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Stan McCann
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-11-2006
"Manfred Ullrich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:4412b11f$0$12228$(E-Mail Removed)-online.net:

>
> "Adrienne Boswell" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:Xns978311CA5A948arbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121. ..
>> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Manfred Ullrich"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:4412984a$0$12927$9b4e6d93
>> @newsread4.arcor-online.net:
>>
>> > the font-definition outside the table is not valid within the
>> > table. I have to define it in every <td> within the table..
>> > Isn't it possible to define it once for the whole table?
>> >

>> Sure.
>>
>> table {font-family: arial, verdana, sans-serif; font-size:100%;}


Correct modern standard way (although I would lose the verdana).

>>

> I suppose your hint only works with stylesheets.
> Isn't it possible to manage the problem without stylesheets?


It certainly is possible. But, if you go to your home builder and tell
him, "I don't want to use wood and shingle, I want to use straw on the
roof, isn't it possible?" Do you want to do it the standard way (the
way most that read/post here frequently),(the way most modern
construction companies work), or the 10 year (1000 years?) old way?

--
Stan McCann, "Uncle Pirate" http://stanmccann.us/
Webmaster, NMSU at Alamogordo http://alamo.nmsu.edu/
Now blocking Google Grouper posts and replies.
http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
*WITHOUT* using: ValidateRequest="False" for the whole page (or my whole site).... \A_Michigan_User\ ASP .Net 2 08-21-2006 02:13 PM
Fonts suddenly unreadable in IE 6.0 - All other system fonts appear normal Emily Computer Support 3 06-09-2005 04:52 AM
HOWTO: Define constants for the whole site? Don Wash ASP .Net 7 08-30-2004 12:31 PM
A way to define env-entry for the whole application Itamar Lev Java 0 07-14-2004 01:47 PM
asp fonts problems (chinese fonts become ??????) sam ASP General 0 06-06-2004 06:15 AM



Advertisments