Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > http://http://

http://http://

windandwaves

Why do we go to Microsoft when we enter http://http://whateveryouwanthere

> Nicolaas

Jim Higson

windandwaves wrote:

> Why do we go to Microsoft when we enter http://http://whateveryouwanthere

Probably because you're using a Microsoft browser or operating system. The
URL is invalid.

I can't test because I don't have any MS software. This doesn't sound too
bad though, I doubt very many people will type that URL.

--
Jim

windandwaves

Jim Higson wrote:
> windandwaves wrote:
>
>> Why do we go to Microsoft when we enter
>> http://http://whateveryouwanthere

> Probably because you're using a Microsoft browser or operating
> system. The URL is invalid.
>
> I can't test because I don't have any MS software. This doesn't sound
> too bad though, I doubt very many people will type that URL.

But it occured in firefox. If I type

ada;lskjf asld;kfjakls;djf ajf (as in a bad url) in the address bar, i dont
go to MS.

also check this out:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...2F&btnG=Search

I think Firefox is redirecting bad urls

Alan Cole

In article <7czPf.4807$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"windandwaves" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Jim Higson wrote:
> > windandwaves wrote:
> >
> >> Why do we go to Microsoft when we enter
> >> http://http://whateveryouwanthere

> > Probably because you're using a Microsoft browser or operating
> > system. The URL is invalid.
> >
> > I can't test because I don't have any MS software. This doesn't sound
> > too bad though, I doubt very many people will type that URL.

> But it occured in firefox. If I type
>
> ada;lskjf asld;kfjakls;djf ajf (as in a bad url) in the address bar, i dont
> go to MS.
>
> also check this out:
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...2F&btnG=Search
>
> I think Firefox is redirecting bad urls

That is weird... I get taken to microsoft too if I type in
http://http:// and it has nothing to do with microsoft software as that
is in Firefix running on a Mac... Most bizarre.

Al.

--
Alan Cole. E-mail: justal at lineone dot net
http://www.forces-of-nature.co.uk [Coastal Sports]

Benjamin Niemann

windandwaves wrote:

> Why do we go to Microsoft when we enter http://http://whateveryouwanthere

That's Firefox trying to be smart. I (correctly) recognizes your input as
'not an URL'. It will then fire-up a google search for it and sends you to
the first hit.

And for some reason MS is the top-site for 'http'.

--
Benjamin Niemann
Email: pink at odahoda dot de

windandwaves

Benjamin Niemann wrote:
> windandwaves wrote:
>
>> Why do we go to Microsoft when we enter
>> http://http://whateveryouwanthere

> That's Firefox trying to be smart. I (correctly) recognizes your
> input as 'not an URL'. It will then fire-up a google search for it
> and sends you to the first hit.
>
> And for some reason MS is the top-site for 'http'.

Yep, I worked that out. Fascinating!

Alan J. Flavell

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, Benjamin Niemann wrote:

> windandwaves wrote:
>
> > Why do we go to Microsoft when we enter http://http://whateveryouwanthere

> That's Firefox trying to be smart. I (correctly) recognizes your input as
> 'not an URL'. It will then fire-up a google search for it and sends you to
> the first hit.
>
> And for some reason MS is the top-site for 'http'.

Well, Mozilla takes me to http://www.http.com , which has nothing to
do with MS. The browser is still being too clever for its own good!

$ host www.http.com
www.http.com has address 207.44.141.40
$ host 207.44.141.40
40.141.44.207.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer
ev1s-207-44-141-40.ev1servers.net.

See also http://whois.webhosting.info/207.44.141.40

Jim Higson

Benjamin Niemann wrote:

> windandwaves wrote:
>
>> Why do we go to Microsoft when we enter http://http://whateveryouwanthere

> That's Firefox trying to be smart. I (correctly) recognizes your input as
> 'not an URL'. It will then fire-up a google search for it and sends you to
> the first hit.
>
> And for some reason MS is the top-site for 'http'.

I don't know what's stranger, that the browser silently redirects to a
Google search, or that Google's usually excellent indexing comes up with
such a lousy result.

At least they have this near the top:
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/

This is probably a bit like searching for 'PHP' - you sometimes get a load
of pages that just have ".php" in the URL and are nothing to do with the
language.

Jim Higson

Jim Higson wrote:

> Benjamin Niemann wrote:
>
>> windandwaves wrote:
>>
>>> Why do we go to Microsoft when we enter
>>> http://http://whateveryouwanthere

>> That's Firefox trying to be smart. I (correctly) recognizes your input as
>> 'not an URL'. It will then fire-up a google search for it and sends you
>> to the first hit.
>>
>> And for some reason MS is the top-site for 'http'.

> I don't know what's stranger, that the browser silently redirects to a
> Google search, or that Google's usually excellent indexing comes up with
> such a lousy result.
>
> At least they have this near the top:
> http://www.w3.org/Protocols/
>
> This is probably a bit like searching for 'PHP' - you sometimes get a load
> of pages that just have ".php" in the URL and are nothing to do with the
> language.

Heh. Also, Googling for "https" just brings up a load of high-ranked secure
pages!

--
Jim

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "windandwaves"
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:jQyPf.4806$JZ1.113641
@news.xtra.co.nz:

> Why do we go to Microsoft when we enter

http://http://whateveryouwanthere

>> Nicolaas

With Opera I got:
<quote>
Not Found
The requested URL //whateveryouwanthere was not found on this server.

Apache/1.3.22 Server at www.any.com Port 80
</quote>

With IE (6) I got DNS error cannot find server

With Firefox, indeed I got Microsoft.

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info