Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Domain name registration

Domain name registration

Sally Thompson

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 12:39:41 +0000, Usenet wrote
(in article <(E-Mail Removed)>):

> And
>
> reading through PIPEX's t&c's it says that (in the case of name
> registration) what they do (& just about all they do) is pass the
> application on to the relevant naming authority!
>
> Is this really such a difficult thing that we can't do it ourselves
> directly?

Nothing to stop you AFAIK, but I think you will find it far more expensive -
look at Nominet's home page - 80GBP plus VAT per domain. 123-Reg charges
less than a tenth of that.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

William Tasso

Fleeing from the madness of the jungle
Sally Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> stumbled into
and said:

> On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 12:39:41 +0000, Usenet wrote
> (in article <(E-Mail Removed)>):
>
>> And
>>
>> reading through PIPEX's t&c's it says that (in the case of name
>> registration) what they do (& just about all they do) is pass the
>> application on to the relevant naming authority!
>>
>> Is this really such a difficult thing that we can't do it ourselves
>> directly?

> Nothing to stop you AFAIK, but I think you will find it far more
> expensive -
> look at Nominet's home page - 80GBP plus VAT per domain. 123-Reg charges
> less than a tenth of that.

ahh yes - .uk is one of the easy ones. the hoops one must jump through to
register a .com (for example) are not so trivial:
http://www.icann.org/registrars/accr...on-process.htm

--
William Tasso

whither a trophy?

Usenet

In article <(E-Mail Removed) et>, Sally
Thompson wrote:
> I have registered three domains with them with absolutely no trouble.
> Excellent service and not expensive.

I bit the bullet this afternoon and transferred a domain there for
registration. They've got a "sale" on at the moment it says. It claims
they normally charge a fiver for transferring in and it's free now...

Seemed ok, everything automatic, whole job (transfer out of ISP, transfer
in to 123, renew my registration) within an hour (credit card transaction
wouldn't go through immediately (?), and for just over six quid, rather
than the risible 52+ that P***N*t quoted...

Mark Stanton
One small step for mankind...

Uplink

You don't HAVE to get a domain, you can get a free sub domain at dyndns.com
or no-ip.org. I recommend the free account on dyndns.com because it has no
ads, I use the .ath.cx (zentec.ath.cx is my site and it works fine)

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...