Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Critique food site please

Critique food site please

Nik Coughlin

Hi,

I would really like a critique of the site that I am working on at the
moment. It is nearly done, though you may find a couple of pages with no
real content.

http://nrkn.com/fm/
http://nrkn.com/fm/fm.css

Thanks!

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Nik Coughlin wrote:

> I would really like a critique of the site that I am working on at the
> moment. It is nearly done, though you may find a couple of pages
> with no real content.
>
> http://nrkn.com/fm/
> http://nrkn.com/fm/fm.css

Nice work, Nik. The only comments I have after a cursory glance would
be:

1. drop Verdana (for all the oft-stated reasons). Try "Trebuchet MS".
I use this:
font-family: "Trebuchet MS", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;

2. the blue buttons are just a bit large.

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

David Segall

"Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I would really like a critique of the site that I am working on at the
>moment. It is nearly done, though you may find a couple of pages with no
>real content.
>
>http://nrkn.com/fm/
>http://nrkn.com/fm/fm.css
>
>Thanks!

I find that the (bottom right) pale green background colour
disturbing. It seems to clash with the other colours. I have no
rational basis for this feeling and I would be curious (and relieved)
if someone could provide one. In any case, I think fewer colours would
enhance the page.

Nik

Nik Coughlin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would really like a critique of the site that I am working on at the
> moment. It is nearly done, though you may find a couple of pages with no
> real content.

Looks nice with FF1.5

Is the banner graphic (top-right) supposed to be different on some
pages? There appeared to be little rationale behind which page had
which graphic, which caused some distraction

Nik

Stan McCann

Nik <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:du6vvm$359$(E-Mail Removed):

> Nik Coughlin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would really like a critique of the site that I am working on at
>> the moment. It is nearly done, though you may find a couple of
>> pages with no real content.
>>

> Looks nice with FF1.5
>
> Is the banner graphic (top-right) supposed to be different on some
> pages? There appeared to be little rationale behind which page had
> which graphic, which caused some distraction
>
> Nik

I also looked at it with just FF1.5. I'm not sure what banner graphic
you are referring to. I only see one and it is the same centered
across the top on each page.

Nice and clean. I only tried one page but that one page validated.
One suggestion: make logo.png a link to the initial "home" page; I
could find no way back to that initial page without changing the URL.

Other than that, in the few minutes I looked at it, I'd have to give it
an A. Nice work.

--
Stan McCann, "Uncle Pirate" http://stanmccann.us/
Webmaster, NMSU at Alamogordo http://alamo.nmsu.edu/

Jonathan N. Little

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
<snip>

> 2. the blue buttons are just a bit large.

I agree with BTS, but I see your intent to align with dark blue logo in
upper left. But 266px of leftColumn can take up a lot of real estate on
smaller view ports. If you float leftColumn to the left and add a white
border on right and bottom sides mainColumn can flow underneath and
leftColumn can be a knockout. It will still have the vertical visual
line with the logo above but prevent mainColumn from being a narrow
ribbon with a long scroll when there is substantial content in mainColumn.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Nik Thomas

Stan McCann wrote:

>>Is the banner graphic (top-right) supposed to be different on some
>>pages? There appeared to be little rationale behind which page had
>>which graphic, which caused some distraction

> I also looked at it with just FF1.5. I'm not sure what banner graphic
> you are referring to. I only see one and it is the same centered
> across the top on each page.

text "generosity warmth" etc, there are other graphics on other pages.

Revisiting, I see more different images than I had noticed before - so
less confused than I was.

Nik

Matt Silberstein

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 17:57:12 +1300, in alt.html.critique , "Nik
Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> in <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I would really like a critique of the site that I am working on at the
>moment. It is nearly done, though you may find a couple of pages with no
>real content.
>
>http://nrkn.com/fm/
>http://nrkn.com/fm/fm.css
>
>Thanks!

As others I generally like it, nice clean, good food related colors.
Small issues. First, the leftmost menu item should be the home page.
Second, if you have the room there is no reason for the "generosity
.... " to overlap the image. Third, the directory should have a menu of
some sort. Finally and weakest, I might experiment by putting a touch
of deeper, more primary colors. Food has a range of colors and if you
can get a bit of apple red and pepper green it would be great. I
suspect you can't do that and keep the clean look and the clean look
is more important, but the attempt might produce value.

--
Matt Silberstein

Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

http://www.beawitness.org
http://www.darfurgenocide.org
http://www.savedarfur.org

"Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"

mbstevens

Nik Coughlin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would really like a critique of the site that I am working on at the
> moment. It is nearly done, though you may find a couple of pages with no
> real content.
>
> http://nrkn.com/fm/
> http://nrkn.com/fm/fm.css
>
> Thanks!

Nice, clean and valid.
Push the text over the green
further toward black. Not enough contrast.

dorayme

In article
<N7DNf.488572$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Nik Coughlin wrote:
>
> > I would really like a critique of the site that I am working on at the
> > moment. It is nearly done, though you may find a couple of pages
> > with no real content.
> >
> > http://nrkn.com/fm/
> > http://nrkn.com/fm/fm.css

> Nice work, Nik. The only comments I have after a cursory glance would
> be:
>
> 1. drop Verdana (for all the oft-stated reasons). Try "Trebuchet MS".
> I use this:
> font-family: "Trebuchet MS", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;
>
> 2. the blue buttons are just a bit large.

I think the reason they are that big in width at least is for
symmetry in the design, they cannot without loss of design, be
reduced. Perhaps the height of the buttons could be, maybe bigger
graphic under to compensate?

The OP's http://nrkn.com/fm/fm.css should be
http://nrkn.com/fm/css/fm.css

--