Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > DIV hiding input area

DIV hiding input area

Bill_W_Stephens@yahoo.com

I was trying to simplify a web page by substituting some tables for
DIVs. Unfortunately one of my DIVs is preventing me to access text
fields (IE and FF) and drop-down box (only in FireFox)

This is actually the first time I have used DIV in a input screen. Can
anyone advise how to craft this without the overlap problem?

see link for a small extract that illustrates my problem:

http://www.mybis.net/itp/divTest.html

thanks in advance

Jonathan N. Little

> I was trying to simplify a web page by substituting some tables for
> DIVs. Unfortunately one of my DIVs is preventing me to access text
> fields (IE and FF) and drop-down box (only in FireFox)
>
> This is actually the first time I have used DIV in a input screen. Can
> anyone advise how to craft this without the overlap problem?
>
> see link for a small extract that illustrates my problem:
>
> http://www.mybis.net/itp/divTest.html
>
> thanks in advance

Firefox behavior is correct, your TABLE id "Left" is absolutely
positioned *over* top of the DIV containing the drop-down boxes...

Change style

#Left
{
/* REMOVE THIS -> position: absolute; */
float: left; /* <- ADD THIS */

Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Bill_W_Stephens@yahoo.com

Brilliant!! That did the trick

I got the RTFM manual more often!

BTW: Great artwork on Jonathan's site - especially for dog lovers!
Check it out.

Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> I was trying to simplify a web page by substituting some tables for
>> DIVs. Unfortunately one of my DIVs is preventing me to access text
>> fields (IE and FF) and drop-down box (only in FireFox)
>>
>> This is actually the first time I have used DIV in a input screen. Can
>> anyone advise how to craft this without the overlap problem?
>>
>> see link for a small extract that illustrates my problem:
>>
>> http://www.mybis.net/itp/divTest.html
>> thanks in advance
>>

> Firefox behavior is correct, your TABLE id "Left" is absolutely
> positioned *over* top of the DIV containing the drop-down boxes...
>
> Change style
>

> #Left
> {
> /* REMOVE THIS -> position: absolute; */
> float: left; /* <- ADD THIS */

Nope I was wrong, "Left" was not the culprit (directly), but in my
defense your markup is a real mess. The problem is TABLE id
"v14-body-table" with a width of 1361! Even though is a child of DIV
"Left" which is defined as 100px, the overflow of the table is 'masking'
the top of your form. You have a mish mosh of CSS and HTML attribute
that conflict. And empty tables up the wazoo!

--
Take care,

Jonathan