Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > syntax for linking to a newsgroup article

Reply
Thread Tools

syntax for linking to a newsgroup article

 
 
Brian Cryer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2006
What I would like to be able to do is to link to a specific newsgroup
article (ok, I know that articles may not be held a newsgroup server for
more than a couple of weeks depending on the newsgroup).

I know how to link to a newsgroup:

a href="news:some-newsgroup

I also know how to specify the server:

a href="news://some-server/some-newsgroup

is it also possible to specify the article id/reference that I'm interested
in? I came across one reference that indicated it might be possible, but
with no details. If its not possible then that would be useful to know,
because I won't search any further.

Thanks in advance.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dylan Parry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2006
Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Brian Cryer
finally proclaimed:

> What I would like to be able to do is to link to a specific newsgroup
> article (ok, I know that articles may not be held a newsgroup server for
> more than a couple of weeks depending on the newsgroup).


Totally ignoring the rest of your post, have you thought of linking to
the articles as they are presented at Google Groups? Toby Inkster set up
a nice site for doing just that (http://message-id.net/) where you can
link directly to articles by their ID.

--
Dylan Parry
http://webpageworkshop.co.uk -- FREE Web tutorials and references
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Brian Cryer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2006
"Dylan Parry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Brian Cryer
> finally proclaimed:
>
>> What I would like to be able to do is to link to a specific newsgroup
>> article (ok, I know that articles may not be held a newsgroup server for
>> more than a couple of weeks depending on the newsgroup).

>
> Totally ignoring the rest of your post, have you thought of linking to
> the articles as they are presented at Google Groups? Toby Inkster set up
> a nice site for doing just that (http://message-id.net/) where you can
> link directly to articles by their ID.
>
> --
> Dylan Parry
> http://webpageworkshop.co.uk -- FREE Web tutorials and references


Hi Dylan,

Thanks for the idea. That's certainly quite clever of Toby.

What I'd really like though is to be able to direct someone to a (recent)
article and have it open in their newsreader.
--
Brian Cryer
www.cryer.co.uk/brian


 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian Cryer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2006
"Brian Cryer" <brianc@127.0.0.1.activesol.co.uk> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> What I would like to be able to do is to link to a specific newsgroup
> article (ok, I know that articles may not be held a newsgroup server for
> more than a couple of weeks depending on the newsgroup).
>
> I know how to link to a newsgroup:
>
> a href="news:some-newsgroup
>
> I also know how to specify the server:
>
> a href="news://some-server/some-newsgroup
>
> is it also possible to specify the article id/reference that I'm
> interested in? I came across one reference that indicated it might be
> possible, but with no details. If its not possible then that would be
> useful to know, because I won't search any further.
>
> Thanks in advance.


I've found it - RFC 1036. Not quite what I was hoping for.

news:<message-id>

but this won't open the newsreader, it just opens the message (presumably
using the default news account) and allows you to reply to the sender not
the group - or at least that's the behaviour I've just observed on Windows.

So much for my hope of clicking on a link to open a newsgroup reader at a
specific article ... Dylan, your suggestion of using Toby's site and Google
groups may be the only way of doing it.
--
Brian Cryer
www.cryer.co.uk/brian



 
Reply With Quote
 
Dylan Parry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2006
Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Brian Cryer
finally proclaimed:

> What I'd really like though is to be able to direct someone to a (recent)
> article and have it open in their newsreader.


The problem with that scenario is that it relies upon the user actually
/having/ a newsreader that is configured correctly, and a browser that
handles the URL correctly. It's a bit like trying to use mailto:

--
Dylan Parry
http://electricfreedom.org -- Where the Music Progressively Rocks!
 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian Cryer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2006
"Dylan Parry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:v5j0n2hhjhgy$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Brian Cryer
> finally proclaimed:
>
>> What I'd really like though is to be able to direct someone to a (recent)
>> article and have it open in their newsreader.

>
> The problem with that scenario is that it relies upon the user actually
> /having/ a newsreader that is configured correctly, and a browser that
> handles the URL correctly. It's a bit like trying to use mailto:


Very true. I concede, your suggestion is probably the only way to go.

Thanks.
--
Brian Cryer
www.cryer.co.uk/brian


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Decoding NewsGroup Article Subject kyus94 Computer Support 3 04-03-2007 08:07 PM
[ANN] SqlStatement 1.0.0 - hide the syntax of SQL behind familiarruby syntax Ken Bloom Ruby 3 10-09-2006 06:46 PM
Newbies Please Read: This is NOT a Windows Vista Newsgroup, it is however a Windows XP X64 Edition Newsgroup. Windows 64bit 16 06-27-2006 03:17 PM
Syntax highligth with textile: Syntax+RedCloth ? gabriele renzi Ruby 2 12-31-2005 02:44 AM
Syntax for linking to javascript/vbscript on the server side/client side Eitan ASP .Net 2 06-04-2005 11:06 AM



Advertisments