Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > New site: need some advise (first attempt)

New site: need some advise (first attempt)

ThLog

Hi all,

Recently build a new site. This is my first attempt (so please be gentle
with me . http://linuz.coconia.net/ or (1 extra pop-up)
http://www.linuz.tk

I'm using some css and html, but it's not a very clean (and validated)
code yet. Still working on improvements and learning a lot.

I have added this site a couple of weeks ago in Google + Yahoo. Also
added this site to http://dmoz.org/about.html
It is not visible in Google or Yahoo yet, any ideas how can I speed up the
process?
I've read that the process will be faster if your site is linked by other
sites. Will linking the site in a blog speed up the process, or is another
particular site needed?
Do you think the keywords are the right ones?

Anyway I like this new hobby. All advise is very welcome.

Thanks,
ThLog

saz

says...
> Hi all,
>
> Recently build a new site. This is my first attempt (so please be gentle
> with me . http://linuz.coconia.net/ or (1 extra pop-up)
> http://www.linuz.tk
>
> I'm using some css and html, but it's not a very clean (and validated)
> code yet. Still working on improvements and learning a lot.
>
> I have added this site a couple of weeks ago in Google + Yahoo. Also
> added this site to http://dmoz.org/about.html
> It is not visible in Google or Yahoo yet, any ideas how can I speed up the
> process?
> I've read that the process will be faster if your site is linked by other
> sites. Will linking the site in a blog speed up the process, or is another
> particular site needed?
> Do you think the keywords are the right ones?
>
> Anyway I like this new hobby. All advise is very welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> ThLog

IE 6 - the index page is aligned right - Is this what you intended?

Poor navigation.

Too much white space.

Add some images, spruce it up, make it less boring, get rid of the top
banner - it draws my attention to the top instead of the text portion

ThLog

Great, thank you for your fast reply!

> IE 6 - the index page is aligned right - Is this what you intended?

I guess not, I will look at the page tomorrow at work to verify.

> Poor navigation.

Yeah, could be better... (it was worse

> Too much white space.
> Add some images, spruce it up, make it less boring, get rid of the top
> banner - it draws my attention to the top instead of the text portion

The banner makes it free, I'm learning this so until I'm satisfied with
the site I will use this free one.

mbstevens

ThLog wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Recently build a new site. This is my first attempt (so please be gentle
> with me . http://linuz.coconia.net/ or (1 extra pop-up)
> http://www.linuz.tk
>
> I'm using some css and html, but it's not a very clean (and validated)
> code yet. Still working on improvements and learning a lot.
>
> I have added this site a couple of weeks ago in Google + Yahoo. Also
> added this site to http://dmoz.org/about.html
> It is not visible in Google or Yahoo yet, any ideas how can I speed up the
> process?
> I've read that the process will be faster if your site is linked by other
> sites. Will linking the site in a blog speed up the process, or is another
> particular site needed?
> Do you think the keywords are the right ones?
>
> Anyway I like this new hobby. All advise is very welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> ThLog

The validator throws 121 errors and warnings, mostly errors.
Correct those first. You will probably be surprised to find that you
can do it in less than an hour. After it is corrected to at least be
valid a larger number of people will be willing to look at it.
The address of the validator is:
http://validator.w3.org
Just enter the address of the website and reap the benefits.
--
mbstevens
http://www.mbstevens.com

Troy Piggins

* ThLog wrote:

> Recently build a new site. This is my first attempt (so please be gentle
> with me . http://linuz.coconia.net/ or (1 extra pop-up)
> http://www.linuz.tk

[snip]
> Anyway I like this new hobby. All advise is very welcome.

On your open-source page where you recommend some software people can
start using on Windows before Linux, I would also add 'vim' as a text
editor. Very useful to know for linux and is available as Windows
binary.

--
Troy Piggins
Ubuntu 5.10 pkgs : kernel 2.6.12-9-386, postfix 2.2.4, procmail 3.22

mbstevens

mbstevens wrote:
> ThLog wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> Recently build a new site. This is my first attempt (so please be gentle
>> with me . http://linuz.coconia.net/ or (1 extra pop-up)
>> http://www.linuz.tk
>>
>> I'm using some css and html, but it's not a very clean (and validated)
>> code yet. Still working on improvements and learning a lot.
>> I have added this site a couple of weeks ago in Google + Yahoo. Also
>> added this site to http://dmoz.org/about.html
>> It is not visible in Google or Yahoo yet, any ideas how can I speed up
>> the
>> process?
>> I've read that the process will be faster if your site is linked by other
>> sites. Will linking the site in a blog speed up the process, or is
>> another
>> particular site needed? Do you think the keywords are the right ones?
>>
>> Anyway I like this new hobby. All advise is very welcome.
>>
>> Thanks, ThLog
>>

> The validator throws 121 errors and warnings, mostly errors.
> Correct those first. You will probably be surprised to find that you
> can do it in less than an hour. After it is corrected to at least be
> valid a larger number of people will be willing to look at it.
> The address of the validator is:
> http://validator.w3.org
> Just enter the address of the website and reap the benefits.

Oops, make that 201 warnings and errors for the opening page.
The warnings do not absolutely have to be corrected, but
you really should get all the errors.

Travis Newbury

ThLog wrote:
> Recently build a new site. This is my first attempt (so please be gentle
> with me . http://linuz.coconia.net/ or (1 extra pop-up)
> http://www.linuz.tk

Hey your site forgot step 5, start searching for drivers for your
hardware what use to work with Windows....