Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > dynamic drop down menu...

dynamic drop down menu...

Richard Sexton

>Then it might not be possible for you to do the task you've been set, except
>for as a non-maintainable mess. Why not just tell them that, and then not
>do it if the red tape doesn't clear?
>
>This is akin to the boss asking a joiner to knock in nails, but not letting
>him use a hammer. Sure, you could knock them in with a rock, but if it
>really is that bad, you'd probably be better to just look for a new job.

More like using a golf club to drive in a masonry bolt. It might be possible
in the theoretical sense but nobody has ever really got that to work. If
said eejit boss thinks theres's a 1% chance it will work he'll simply think
you're lazy if you don't try.

"It can't be done" are probably the words you're grasping for. Tell him
to call IBM Global Solutions and ask for a quote.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net

Richard Sexton

>Even static pages need a server.

file://localhost/C:/

not if they're local

but at this point you take the rock you're given and bash somebody's head in,
possibly your own if you spend much time reinventing this wheel

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net

firstcustomer@gmail.com

IBM, in our case would be CSC - ARGH!

Jim Higson

Richard Sexton wrote:

>>Even static pages need a server.

> file://localhost/C:/
>
> not if they're local

Fair enough. (although it could be argued that with the file 'protocol' the
browser acts as the server).

I suppose it *could* be done. I wouldn't want to be the one to update the
HTML stored locally on every computer though. Kinda does away with the
whole point of doing it as a web.

firstcustomer@gmail.com

It would be stored on a network drive, so this shouldn't be an issue.
--
Neil

Jose

> The user is faced with a question:
>
> What OS is the customer using?
> * XP
> * Linux
>
> Now, when the user selects one, another question and drop down appears
> BELOW this, something like:
>
> Is it:
> * XP Pro
> * XP Home

As a user I find this anane behaviour very annoying (both on web sites
and in tax software). Give me the whole list at once - don't play
twenty questions!

What OS is the customer using?
* XP Pro
* XP Home
* XP unknown edition
* Windows 98 SE
* WIndows 98 (original edition)
* Windows 98 unknown edition
* Linux (Red Hat)
* Linux (SUSE)
* Linux (KDE)
* Mac OS X
* Mac classic
* DOS 3.1
* DOS 4.0 (sorry, no support)
* Northstar DOS
* Commodore 64

Granted, sometimes you really =do= need a tree of questions, but based
on your example (and my experience with other software) most of the time
it is a ten branced tree of two choices, rather than a two branced tree
of ten choices.

Jose

Richard Sexton

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jim Higson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Richard Sexton wrote:
>
>>>Even static pages need a server.

>> file://localhost/C:/
>>
>> not if they're local

>Fair enough. (although it could be argued that with the file 'protocol' the
>browser acts as the server).
>
>I suppose it *could* be done. I wouldn't want to be the one to update the
>HTML stored locally on every computer though. Kinda does away with the
>whole point of doing it as a web.

Ironically, usenet news does this, the media you're using to say how
hard it would be You can read news localy off of a distant NNTP
host, it takes care of keeping all the local files up to date. So
while it's a bit arcane you could install news software and let it
do its thing and point DOCUMENT_ROOT to the news spool.

Stop grimacing, I DID say it was arcane.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net

Richard Sexton

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>It would be stored on a network drive, so this shouldn't be an issue.

Well there you go. The serverless web server. Let the OS handle transport.

Not exactly portable, but not unportable either.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed) om>,

> I'm creating a knowledgebase site at my workplace, and I'm kinda
> limited as to resources (in terms of technology) because we are running
> Win2K. I don't have access to a web server for this, so its more or
> less just HTML and JavaScript.
>
> I'm wanting to do the following:
>
> There is a drop down menu, which loads up another drop down menu
> (preferably in the same page) depending on the answer.
>
> Let me demonstrate:
>
> The user is faced with a question:
>
> What OS is the customer using?
> * XP
> * Linux

etc

There would be many different ways to skin this cat in plain html
(without javascript).

Why not the simplest possible approach? "What OS is the customer
using? is on one page. If XP is chosen, this is a link that takes
you to a page with further questions.

You have as many pages as is practical. You do not have to assume
from this that you must put one alternative per page. This would
be extremely irritating in fact! It is quite likely you can,
without confusion at all, show a few routes on the same page. For
example:

Not necessarilly just:

XP, Mac? (both links)

but maybe

XP Pro, XP Home, Mac pre X, Mac X .... (all links)

How you organise and layout will be defined by the particular
circumstances. You will put in as much on each page as will not
cause confusion to the not-too-far-below-average-in-intelligence
user

--
dorayme

Andy Dingley

On 20 Feb 2006 03:10:26 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>The amount of red tape within my company is a joke.

Then move. Life's too short to spend it working for fools.