Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > dynamic drop down menu...

dynamic drop down menu...

firstcustomer@gmail.com

Hi fellas,

I need some help with something if you'd be so kind!

I'm creating a knowledgebase site at my workplace, and I'm kinda
limited as to resources (in terms of technology) because we are running
Win2K. I don't have access to a web server for this, so its more or
less just HTML and JavaScript.

I'm wanting to do the following:

There is a drop down menu, which loads up another drop down menu
(preferably in the same page) depending on the answer.

Let me demonstrate:

The user is faced with a question:

What OS is the customer using?
* XP
* Linux

Now, when the user selects one, another question and drop down appears
BELOW this, something like:

Is it:
* XP Pro
* XP Home

etc etc, until the users has answered sufficient questions to be able
to give them a page detailing how to fix the problem.

Also, it would be best if the drop downs are stored in different files,
as there will be some cross references.

Btw, the drop dowen menu that I mean is just the normal, bog-standard
HTML drop down menu (like in a form!).

TIA, Neil

Andy Dingley

> I'm creating a knowledgebase site at my workplace, and I'm kinda
> limited as to resources (in terms of technology) because we are running
> Win2K. I don't have access to a web server for this,

Get a web server, the easiest way might be to install Linux on an old
PC and then run Apache and some Wiki or other. Every office has old
retired PCs that can be re-used and the rest is free.

Although I'm sure it's possible to do this under Win2K, it's just a
waste of effort to attempt it.

firstcustomer@gmail.com

That really can't be done.

The amount of red tape within my company is a joke.

So, if you could explain to me how to do it in w2k standalone, that'd
be great...

--
TIA, Neil.

Jim Higson

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hi fellas,
>
> I need some help with something if you'd be so kind!
>
> I'm creating a knowledgebase site at my workplace, and I'm kinda
> limited as to resources (in terms of technology) because we are running
> Win2K. I don't have access to a web server for this, so its more or
> less just HTML and JavaScript.

The Apache web server can run on Win2k. Also, IIS.
Having said that, how expensive can a server for a small intranet really be?

Probably much less than the cost of your time to produce a hackish solution
in javascript, plus the cost to maintain this weird site that no-one will
quite understand after you leave the company.

Tell whoever's paying that if they want it done properly, a web site
requires a web server.

If you *must* do it as static pages, I'd recomend creating a dynamic site on
your own box, then using a grab tool (such as wget) to grab a static
version of the site.

--
Jim

firstcustomer@gmail.com

There is a webserver for our massive Intranet, using Lotus Domino I
beleive.

Like I said previously, becasue of the amount of red tape in my
company, it is not possible for me to use it.

Jim Higson

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> There is a webserver for our massive Intranet, using Lotus Domino I
> beleive.
>
> Like I said previously, becasue of the amount of red tape in my
> company, it is not possible for me to use it.

Then it might not be possible for you to do the task you've been set, except
for as a non-maintainable mess. Why not just tell them that, and then not
do it if the red tape doesn't clear?

This is akin to the boss asking a joiner to knock in nails, but not letting
him use a hammer. Sure, you could knock them in with a rock, but if it
really is that bad, you'd probably be better to just look for a new job.

Jim Higson

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> So, if you could explain to me how to do it in w2k standalone, that'd
> be great...

What does "w2k standalone" mean exactly?
You mean without *any* web server software? In that case it cannot be done
short of creating your own web server.

firstcustomer@gmail.com

Quit right! Welcome to my world!

The thing is, is that it is in my interests to do this!

So, is there any help forthcoming?
--
Neil

firstcustomer@gmail.com

Quite* right

Jim Higson

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Quit right! Welcome to my world!
>
> The thing is, is that it is in my interests to do this!
>
> So, is there any help forthcoming?

Well, if you're determined to bang nails in with a rock, what software do
you have appart from Win2K? Does the Win2K box have any kind of webserver
software?

Are you allowed to install new software, such as Apache on the w2k box? How
about on your workstation machine?

Even static pages need a server.

Jim