Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Sending output to two frames from the same program

Sending output to two frames from the same program

cmarvel@nethere.com

All:
I have a bit of a problem with a Perl/CGI program and was
wondering if anyone knew an answer to this. I tried asking this in a
Perl group but some people got angry thinking this was more of an HTML
question; so, here I am.
I have three frames printed out via one perl program. Once a
user submits info from frame one, a second perl program is called and
it outputs a first set of info to the second frame. That same second
perl program has to send a second set of info to a third frame. how do
I do this? I can't seem to find a 'target' choice for the CGI print
command.

Keith

David Dorward

> I have three frames

Oh dear.

http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?Problems_with_using_frames

> printed out via one perl program. Once a
> user submits info from frame one, a second perl program is called and
> it outputs a first set of info to the second frame. That same second
> perl program has to send a second set of info to a third frame. how do
> I do this? I can't seem to find a 'target' choice for the CGI print
> command.

There isn't one. A CGI script outputs data which is sent over HTTP. You have
to get the browser to open the resource in a specific frame, generally with
with a link that has a target or with the src attribute of the frame (and
this means running the program multiple times with different parameters to
get the different data you want in each frame)

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Travis Newbury

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have three frames printed out via one perl program....

Sounds like a dumb design.

But if you want the actions of one frame change a different frame, then
you have to have that different frame call it's own "new" page What
you are looking for is basically a frame menu. I do something in frame
#1, and the contents of frame#2 changes. I do something in frame#2 and
the contents of frame #3 changes. While not EXACTLY like a frame menu,
the concept is about the same.

That should give you a direction to start from

Benjamin Niemann

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> All:
> I have a bit of a problem with a Perl/CGI program and was
> wondering if anyone knew an answer to this. I tried asking this in a
> Perl group but some people got angry thinking this was more of an HTML
> question; so, here I am.
> I have three frames printed out via one perl program. Once a
> user submits info from frame one, a second perl program is called and
> it outputs a first set of info to the second frame. That same second
> perl program has to send a second set of info to a third frame. how do
> I do this? I can't seem to find a 'target' choice for the CGI print
> command.

If it is possible, you may put frame 2 and 3 into a separate frameset,
something like this

| frame 1 |
| frameset |
| +-------------------+ +--------------------+ |
| | frame 2 | | frame 3 | |
| | | | | |
| +-------------------+ +--------------------+ |

Your form in frame 1 has a target attribute with the name of the new
frameset. Your script has then to output this frameset and embed links to
itself for frame 2 and 3, each one with a parameter to tell it which frame
it has to output and probably which dataset it has to process (or what ever
you need).
Well this mostly defeats the (small) advantage of having separate frames 2
and 3, so you could also use a single frame for it.
Or use no frames at all, so you don't have to worry about such anoying
problems and concentrate more on your application.

--
Benjamin Niemann
Email: pink at odahoda dot de