Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Cheapest online donating tool? for charity.

Cheapest online donating tool? for charity.

Paul Turner

Hi there,

I am trying to setup a way that people can make donations to my
girlfriend who is an aid worker in Africa. She is working for a large
charity, but I would like a way to have the money go directly to her,
so she can choose how it is spent in the village she works in.

Paypal is very pricey and they take a big cut. some other companies
say you have to a proper registered chairty, which she isn't herself.

Does anyone have any ideas please? We just need a good cheap way that
people can donate using cards.

Thanks

Paul

Dave (from the UK)

Paul Turner wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am trying to setup a way that people can make donations to my
> girlfriend who is an aid worker in Africa. She is working for a large
> charity, but I would like a way to have the money go directly to her,
> so she can choose how it is spent in the village she works in.

An interesting idea.

> Paypal is very pricey and they take a big cut.

Agreed

> some other companies
> say you have to a proper registered chairty, which she isn't herself.

I suspect that is to prevent fraud. It would be all too easy for someone
to make out the money goes to a good cause, but just pockets it
themselves. So I expect that is the reason.

> Does anyone have any ideas please?

Do it through the charity, or would you rather they did not know about
this?

--
Dave K

Minefield Consultant and Solitaire Expert (MCSE).

Paul Turner

Thanks Dave,

I think it will come to asking the charity. But they are a small
Scottish organisation (World Exchange) with not even an online way of
donating themselves. I'll have a chat to them I think.

David E. Ross

Paul Turner wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am trying to setup a way that people can make donations to my
> girlfriend who is an aid worker in Africa. She is working for a large
> charity, but I would like a way to have the money go directly to her,
> so she can choose how it is spent in the village she works in.
>
> Paypal is very pricey and they take a big cut. some other companies
> say you have to a proper registered chairty, which she isn't herself.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas please? We just need a good cheap way that
> people can donate using cards.

You indicate your girlfriend is working through a Scottish charity. I
don't know the laws there.

In the U.S., donors cannot claim a tax benefit for donations to
individuals, only to organized charities. Even a donation to a charity
has not tax benefit if the donation is restricted to helping a specific
individual. The donation may be restricted to a specific program. If
the Internal Revenue Service determines that the program is targeted to
a specific individual, however, the tax benefit might still be disallowed.

In any case, online donation services charge a fee. The most
cost-effective means of collecting donations is by check. The use of
online services is only good for promoting donations where the donors
might be too lazy to write a check and mail it.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
into your E-mail? Use PGP.
See my <http://www.rossde.com/PGP/>

Alex Butcher

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 07:16:32 -0800, Paul Turner wrote:

> I am trying to setup a way that people can make donations to my girlfriend
> who is an aid worker in Africa. She is working for a large charity, but I
> would like a way to have the money go directly to her, so she can choose
> how it is spent in the village she works in.
>
> Paypal is very pricey and they take a big cut. some other companies say
> you have to a proper registered chairty, which she isn't herself.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas please? We just need a good cheap way that
> people can donate using cards.

" Your charity can create a FREE profile on two key giving portals
GiveNow.org (online credit/debit card giving site for any recognised UK
charity) and AllAboutGiving.org (the online giving site for CAF Charity
Account or Give As You Earn donors) exposing your cause to millions of
potential new supporters."
- <http://www.efundraising.org/> ?

No recommendation implied, but I use CAF to make tax-free donations to
charities. I'd guess she might need the charity she's working for to set
up a special appeal for her project, or something. Worth looking into,
anyway.

HTH,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK Need reliable and secure network systems?

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Paul Turner quothed:

> Hi there,
>
> I am trying to setup a way that people can make donations to my
> girlfriend who is an aid worker in Africa. She is working for a large
> charity, but I would like a way to have the money go directly to her,
> so she can choose how it is spent in the village she works in.

That is a bad idea.

--
Neredbojias

Tumbleweed

"Paul Turner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi there,
>
> I am trying to setup a way that people can make donations to my
> girlfriend who is an aid worker in Africa. She is working for a large
> charity, but I would like a way to have the money go directly to her,
> so she can choose how it is spent in the village she works in.
>
> Paypal is very pricey and they take a big cut. some other companies
> say you have to a proper registered chairty, which she isn't herself.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas please? We just need a good cheap way that
> people can donate using cards.
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul

too much scope for fraud, who in their right mind would contribute to
something like that?

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Paul Turner

You're right. I think I'll speak to the charity and see if we can sort
something out.

thanks for all your help.

Toby Inkster

Paul Turner wrote:

> Does anyone have any ideas please? We just need a good cheap way that
> people can donate using cards.

I work for a registered charity and have looked into quite a few online
donations services. Probably the closest thing to what you're looking for,
though not an exact match, would be bmycharity.com.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Nebulous

"Paul Turner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi there,
>
> I am trying to setup a way that people can make donations to my
> girlfriend who is an aid worker in Africa. She is working for a large
> charity, but I would like a way to have the money go directly to her,
> so she can choose how it is spent in the village she works in.
>
> Paypal is very pricey and they take a big cut. some other companies
> say you have to a proper registered chairty, which she isn't herself.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas please? We just need a good cheap way that
> people can donate using cards.

One of the important benefits of doing it through the charity would be that
they could utilise giftaid and reclaim tax- whilst donations direct to your
girlfriend would not be able to do that.

Neb