Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > section page up/down keys down seem to work within <div>

section page up/down keys down seem to work within <div>

teds@intex.com

It seems that with my browser (IE 6.0.29) that when I left mouse click
in a section created by <div> then my page up and down keys don't
scroll me up and down anymore. Should it? If so, how can I fix the
HTML page?

Thanks,

Ted

kchayka

> It seems that with my browser (IE 6.0.29) that when I left mouse click
> in a section created by <div> then my page up and down keys don't
> scroll me up and down anymore.

Are you talking about a div with its own scrollbars?

If so, then you've hit one of the known accessibility problems with
scrolling divs. They make keyboard navigation difficult at best,
impossible at worst.

> how can I fix the HTML page?

Disabling stylesheets or applying a user-stylesheet should do it. Or you
could complain to the page author. If that happens to be you get rid
of the scrolling div and make everyone's life easier.

If you are talking about something else altogether, then post a URL so
we can see what you mean.

Jonathan N. Little

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> It seems that with my browser (IE 6.0.29) that when I left mouse click
> in a section created by <div> then my page up and down keys don't
> scroll me up and down anymore. Should it? If so, how can I fix the
> HTML page?

Ted:

If you mean with IE if you left-click and HOLD the button down that the
Page Up and Page Down keys don't work?

You can fix it by using Firefox!

Firstly it has nothing to do with DIV's but with IE's event processing.
And secondly it is not just the Page Up and Page Down keys. If you
left-click and HOLD anywhere on a webpage in IE none of the direction
keys will be recognized, Page Up, Page Down, Home, End, Up Arrow, Down
Arrow, Left Arrow, Right Arrow!

Does work in Gecko browsers and Opera and even old Netscape 4.x!

--
Take care,

Jonathan
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO