Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > onload=window.open problem

onload=window.open problem

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "hol" <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
news:dt2hhf$v5n$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi Jonathan, thanks for the comments,
>
> The problem is that my customer wants the site visitors to be able to
> download his CV as a word file. This doesn't happen automatically but
> only when a user clicks the appropriate button on the main Flash site.
> This button opens an html page that loads the word document. As you can
> see I have to go through this procedure.

Tell your customer politely to stop wanting that. Mention all the reasons
others have mentioned. Always give the user (site visitor) a choice.

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

Jonathan N. Little

hol wrote:
> Hi Jonathan, thanks for the comments,
>
> The problem is that my customer wants the site visitors to be able to
> download his CV as a word file. This doesn't happen automatically but only
> when a user clicks the appropriate button on the main Flash site. This
> button opens an html page that loads the word document. As you can see I
> have to go through this procedure.

Why? In flash when you link a 'button' symbol to a URL is analogous
adding a href to a A element, right? What's the action script getURL(),
( been a while! ) and link it to the Word doc direcly so the browser
will treat as it would with a direct HTML link

No need for external pages with auto popup windows,

OR

In the Flash have the button link to a download HTML page with your links

button.getURL('mydownloadpage.html')

and the mydownloadpage.html has plain links to docs as above.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Alan J. Flavell

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, hol wrote:

> The problem is that my customer wants the site visitors to be able to
> download his CV as a word file.

Then offer a straightforward link to the wretched thing from the web
page (with a helpful note saying what format it's in), and leave the
visitors to do whatever they do with such content.

> This doesn't happen automatically

We certainly hope not!

> but only when a user clicks the appropriate button on the main Flash
> site.

Eh? Have you totally lost the concept of "web site"?

> This button opens an html page

Why aren't we on an HTML page to start with? This is getting
increasingly silly.

> that loads the word document.

HTML is structured markup, it doesn't "load" anything: include a link
to the wretched document: make sure that your server knows the correct
content-type to send it out with, so that any www-compatible browser
can handle it, leaving the "operating system component that thinks
it's a web browser" to do its own thing as usual.

It's all very straightforward for the user, just so long as you don't
keep re-inventing perverse ways of doing things that the web has been
doing without fuss since its early days.

> As you can see I have to go through this procedure.

As we can see, you don't know how to use Usenet either.

[upside-down quotage snipped.]

Jose

> The problem is that my customer wants the site visitors to be able to
> download his CV as a word file. This doesn't happen automatically but only
> when a user clicks the appropriate button on the main Flash site.

First problem is "main Flash site". If this means that the home page is
flash, you have a serious problem with your client.

Jose

Richard Sexton

In article <Xns976C7428ED602arbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121>,
Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "hol" <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
>news:dt2hhf$v5n$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Hi Jonathan, thanks for the comments,
>>
>> The problem is that my customer wants the site visitors to be able to
>> download his CV as a word file. This doesn't happen automatically but
>> only when a user clicks the appropriate button on the main Flash site.
>> This button opens an html page that loads the word document. As you can
>> see I have to go through this procedure.
>>

>Tell your customer politely to stop wanting that.

Hahahahahaha.

I've been doing this since 1993 and lemme count the times THAT'S worked.

Um, zero.

>Always give the user (site visitor) a choice.

That works. Do it and don't bother to mention it. Tell them
"some poeple have macs and can't read it so I did this for free
for you".

What you usually find in the person knows 8 people and they
all have word and they think the entire interweb runs on word
and there is no talking them out of it because you're a dumb
techie and he knows his target market. The latter half of
this statement is actually often times true.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net

Travis Newbury

Adrienne Boswell wrote:
> Tell your customer politely to stop wanting that. Mention all the reasons
> others have mentioned. Always give the user (site visitor) a choice.

BUT be prepared to have the customer to go hire someone else that will
give him/her exactly what they want.

hol

? "Travis Newbury" <(E-Mail Removed)> ?????? ??? ??????
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Adrienne Boswell wrote:
>> Tell your customer politely to stop wanting that. Mention all the
>> reasons
>> others have mentioned. Always give the user (site visitor) a choice.

> BUT be prepared to have the customer to go hire someone else that will
> give him/her exactly what they want.

Couldn't agree more Travis. Looks like you've been in this business.

Mark