Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > IE<=>FF compatibility

IE<=>FF compatibility

Super Mango

Hi folks,

Can anyone guess why this page looks so good on IE and a total mess on
FF?
http://mangoplex.com/forums/display_forum.php?fid=2

It all started after adding "float:left" to some spans.

Thank you so much, I run out of ideas!

Dan

Super Mango wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Can anyone guess why this page looks so good on IE and a total mess on
> FF?
> http://mangoplex.com/forums/display_forum.php?fid=2
>
> It all started after adding "float:left" to some spans.
>
> Thank you so much, I run out of ideas!

Start by checking the site in a validator and fixing the errors:
http://validator.w3.org/

It claims to be XHTML 1.0 Strict, but has many violations of the specs
for this.

--
Dan

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Super Mango quothed:

> Hi folks,
>
> Can anyone guess why this page looks so good on IE and a total mess on
> FF?
> http://mangoplex.com/forums/display_forum.php?fid=2
>
> It all started after adding "float:left" to some spans.
>
> Thank you so much, I run out of ideas!

Yeah, it's almost certainly the floats. Floated stuff (flotillas I call
'em) is basically removed from the normal flow and will not "fill out" a
div, etc. IE gets this wrong. You should read the spec on floats
_carefully_ and even then it's hard to get right. I use floats only
when I absolutely have to.

--
Neredbojias

Super Mango

Thanks. That waht I was affraid of.

had it designed as a table, but than I wanted to do the "right thing"
and change it to semantic, and got this @#@%!$@$

Thanks again...

Andy Dingley

On 10 Feb 2006 18:26:03 -0800, "Super Mango" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>It all started after adding "float:left" to some spans.

Read the excellent float article on brainjar.com It's just about the
only readable explanation that goes into real detail.