Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > adding other search engines to google's free sitesearch

adding other search engines to google's free sitesearch

Troy Piggins

First off, I am not sure how acceptable/common it is to do this.
Secondly, I know little html - just enough to be dangerous :-/

I got a copy of google's free site search code so I can have google
search form on my personal home page (still under construction).

Then I thought of other reference type websites/search sites I use like
dictionary.reference.com, wikipedia, white pages and so on. I thought
it would be handy to have a text input box and search button like on the
basic google one, but have additional radio buttons below that
determined which facility to use.

eg - click on a "google" radio button (which would be the default) to
use the string in the input box as web search, have a "dictionary" radio
button to check spelling of the text in box and so on...

Not sure how to go about that next step. I added a radio button like
below, but I do not know enough about html/forms to get any further. I
think I need to somehow change the "action" in the form depending on the
radio button, but how to do that?

<form method=get action=http://www.google.com.au/search name="search_form">
<input type=text name=q size=20 maxlength=255 value="">
<input type=submit value="Search"><br>
<label for="g"><input type="radio" name="db" value="*" id="g" checked>
<label for="d"><input type="radio" name="db" value="*" id="d">
</form>

Thanks for any help on the above.

--
Troy Piggins
Ubuntu 5.10 pkgs : kernel 2.6.12-9-386, postfix 2.2.4, procmail 3.22

Adding Search engines Paulo Firefox 5 11-05-2007 11:31 AM
Adding search engines Lukan Firefox 2 05-27-2007 11:54 AM
"Add engines"... how can I "remove engines" ? Jude Barnes Firefox 4 08-19-2004 11:02 PM
Searching Mainly Brings Up "Other Search Engines" Josef Griffiths Computer Support 9 08-03-2004 02:05 AM
Cant access google or any other search engines?????? matthew thauberger Computer Information 1 11-01-2003 12:36 AM

Advertisments