Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Help with space mysterous small spacing gltich

Help with space mysterous small spacing gltich

Jennyvision

Hi still feeling my way along with HTML and Javascript

I've encountered a small spacing problem in a layout I've just started
working on, and for the life of me I can't see anything that is causing it.
It occured just after I added the mouseover script.

As there are quite a few jpgs, I've set it up and here is the link:

http://www.good4mail.com/TempTest/_Template.htm

If someone could explain what is causing the line break and how to correct
it, I would be very grateful.

(none of the links go anywhere yet, and I know I haven't protected the
javascript for old browsers, and no javascript enabled yet)

Thanks
Jenny

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Jennyvision
<(E-Mail Removed)> declared in alt.html:

> http://www.good4mail.com/TempTest/_Template.htm
>
> If someone could explain what is causing the line break and how to correct
> it, I would be very grateful.

It's the whitespace between the anchor tags, and within the anchor tags
around the images. But with that many tables (ab)used for layout
purposes, a tiny gap like that is likely to be the least of your
problems.

> I know I haven't protected the
> javascript for old browsers,

Protected it for old browsers? If you're talking about the cargo-cult
habit of putting HTML comments around Javascript, don't bother.

--
Mark Parnell
Att. Google Groups users - this is your last warning:

Jennyvision

"Mark Parnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43d6d360$0$18584$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Jennyvision
> <(E-Mail Removed)> declared in alt.html:
>
>> http://www.good4mail.com/TempTest/_Template.htm
>>
>> If someone could explain what is causing the line break and how to
>> correct
>> it, I would be very grateful.

> It's the whitespace between the anchor tags, and within the anchor tags
> around the images. But with that many tables (ab)used for layout
> purposes, a tiny gap like that is likely to be the least of your
> problems.
>
>> I know I haven't protected the
>> javascript for old browsers,

> Protected it for old browsers? If you're talking about the cargo-cult
> habit of putting HTML comments around Javascript, don't bother.
>
> --
> Mark Parnell

That worked like a charm, although it is much harder to read now <g>.

Originally, I was using a single table, but the as the second line is out of
synch columnwise with teh rest of that table, things kept sliding all over
the table for reasons I still don't understand. Can you help point me toward
being able to return it to a single table.
Since the final product will require two such constructs, I'll end up having
twice as many tables when finished.

What sorts of problems do you think I will run into?

Thank you for your time and patience.
Jenny

dorayme

In article <A3ABf.23273$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Jennyvision" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi still feeling my way along with HTML and Javascript
>
> I've encountered a small spacing problem in a layout I've just started
> working on, and for the life of me I can't see anything that is causing it.
> It occured just after I added the mouseover script.
>
> As there are quite a few jpgs, I've set it up and here is the link:
>
> http://www.good4mail.com/TempTest/_Template.htm
>
> If someone could explain what is causing the line break and how to correct
> it, I would be very grateful.
>
> (none of the links go anywhere yet, and I know I haven't protected the
> javascript for old browsers, and no javascript enabled yet)
>
> Thanks
> Jenny

For a start, you need to do the basics, a document type
declaration, a head, a title in the head and so on.... You can't
just leave all this stuff out and expect things to work right.

There are mistakes in your css all over... you have to put the
unit in for margins and stuff, like "1px" and not " 1 " and so on
and so forth.

You better look at any basic html and css tutes and read from the
very beginning.

I would say to forget about javascript for now till you come up
to speed on the basics.

--
dorayme

Jennyvision

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <A3ABf.23273$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Jennyvision" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hi still feeling my way along with HTML and Javascript
>>
>> I've encountered a small spacing problem in a layout I've just started
>> working on, and for the life of me I can't see anything that is causing
>> it.
>> It occured just after I added the mouseover script.
>>
>> As there are quite a few jpgs, I've set it up and here is the link:
>>
>> http://www.good4mail.com/TempTest/_Template.htm
>>
>> If someone could explain what is causing the line break and how to
>> correct
>> it, I would be very grateful.
>>
>> (none of the links go anywhere yet, and I know I haven't protected the
>> javascript for old browsers, and no javascript enabled yet)
>>
>> Thanks
>> Jenny

> For a start, you need to do the basics, a document type
> declaration, a head, a title in the head and so on.... You can't
> just leave all this stuff out and expect things to work right.
>
> There are mistakes in your css all over... you have to put the
> unit in for margins and stuff, like "1px" and not " 1 " and so on
> and so forth.
>
> You better look at any basic html and css tutes and read from the
> very beginning.
>
> I would say to forget about javascript for now till you come up
> to speed on the basics.
>
> --
> dorayme

It's actually not for a website, it's for an eBay auction template, so the
whole top section get stripped, so I didn't include it.
I thought 'px' was the default unit. It seems to work that way for
Netscape, IE, Opera and Firefox. Is there a browser for which this isnt
true? Or is it simply good form to include it?

Jenny

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Jennyvision
<(E-Mail Removed)> declared in alt.html:

> That worked like a charm, although it is much harder to read now <g>.

You get that. :-\

> Can you help point me toward
> being able to return it to a single table.

I'd rather not. It's not tabular data, so you shouldn't have any tables
there at all.

Try this instead:
http://clarkecomputers.com.au/usenet/jenny/

The only thing I haven't done is the rollovers. Tested in IE6, Opera
8.5, Firefox 1.5.

Not quite perfect in IE4, 5 and 5.5, but it's readable, so I didn't
spend any time trying to fix that.

You will probably want to remove the blue background from the STORE
image - it doesn't quite line up.

--
Mark Parnell
Att. Google Groups users - this is your last warning:

Jonathan N. Little

Jennyvision wrote:
> "dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>In article <A3ABf.23273$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>"Jennyvision" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>Hi still feeling my way along with HTML and Javascript
>>>
>>>I've encountered a small spacing problem in a layout I've just started
>>>working on, and for the life of me I can't see anything that is causing
>>>it.
>>>It occured just after I added the mouseover script.
>>>
>>>As there are quite a few jpgs, I've set it up and here is the link:
>>>
>>>http://www.good4mail.com/TempTest/_Template.htm
>>>
>>>If someone could explain what is causing the line break and how to
>>>correct
>>>it, I would be very grateful.
>>>
>>>(none of the links go anywhere yet, and I know I haven't protected the
>>>javascript for old browsers, and no javascript enabled yet)
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>Jenny

>>For a start, you need to do the basics, a document type
>>declaration, a head, a title in the head and so on.... You can't
>>just leave all this stuff out and expect things to work right.
>>
>>There are mistakes in your css all over... you have to put the
>>unit in for margins and stuff, like "1px" and not " 1 " and so on
>>and so forth.
>>
>>You better look at any basic html and css tutes and read from the
>>very beginning.
>>
>>I would say to forget about javascript for now till you come up
>>to speed on the basics.
>>
>>--
>>dorayme

> It's actually not for a website, it's for an eBay auction template, so the
> whole top section get stripped, so I didn't include it.

But it will be included in a real webpage so if you want to develop the
template and have it behave as it would in the auction included all the
required parts, you can comment the boundaries of your template for cut
'n pasting.

<head>
<title>eBay Template</title>
</head>
<!-- Start of my template -->

<!-- End of my template -->

> I thought 'px' was the default unit. It seems to work that way for
> Netscape, IE, Opera and Firefox. Is there a browser for which this isnt
> true? Or is it simply good form to include it?

No it is not, CSS rules require a unit specified. The manual is your friend,

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/cover.html#minitoc

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

dorayme

In article <_qCBf.15590$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Jennyvision" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > "Jennyvision" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi still feeling my way along with HTML and Javascript
> >>
> >> I've encountered a small spacing problem ...
> >>
> >> http://www.good4mail.com/TempTest/_Template.htm
> >>

> > For a start, you need to do the basics, a document type
> > declaration, a head, a title in the head and so on.... You can't
> > just leave all this stuff out and expect things to work right.
> >

> > There are mistakes in your css all over... you have to put the
> > unit in for margins and stuff, like "1px" and not " 1 " and so on
> > and so forth.
> >
> > You better look at any basic html and css tutes and read from the
> > very beginning.
> >
> > I would say to forget about javascript for now till you come up
> > to speed on the basics.
> >
> > --
> > dorayme

> It's actually not for a website, it's for an eBay auction template, so the
> whole top section get stripped, so I didn't include it.
> I thought 'px' was the default unit. It seems to work that way for
> Netscape, IE, Opera and Firefox. Is there a browser for which this isnt
> true? Or is it simply good form to include it?

I did not pick up the bit about eBay, template, not a website? So
forgive me.

It is more than just good form I think, to use units in css in
things like margins. It is part of the standard used in css, it
is not optional. Better not to leave them out and then worry what
old or present or new browsers for what platform or other might
be forgiving of this omission.

--
dorayme

Jennyvision

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <_qCBf.15590$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Jennyvision" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message

>> > For a start, you need to do the basics, a document type
>> > declaration, a head, a title in the head and so on.... You can't
>> > just leave all this stuff out and expect things to work right.
>> >

>> > There are mistakes in your css all over... you have to put the
>> > unit in for margins and stuff, like "1px" and not " 1 " and so on
>> > and so forth.
>> >
>> > You better look at any basic html and css tutes and read from the
>> > very beginning.
>> >
>> > I would say to forget about javascript for now till you come up
>> > to speed on the basics.
>> >
>> > --
>> > dorayme

>> It's actually not for a website, it's for an eBay auction template, so
>> the
>> whole top section get stripped, so I didn't include it.
>> I thought 'px' was the default unit. It seems to work that way for
>> Netscape, IE, Opera and Firefox. Is there a browser for which this isnt
>> true? Or is it simply good form to include it?

> I did not pick up the bit about eBay, template, not a website? So
> forgive me.

I don't think I ever mentioned it initially, so my bad

> It is more than just good form I think, to use units in css in
> things like margins. It is part of the standard used in css, it
> is not optional. Better not to leave them out and then worry what
> old or present or new browsers for what platform or other might
> be forgiving of this omission.

Extremely good point. Another good example of why I should really learn HTML
and not rely so heavily on FrontPage.
Thank you.

Jenny