Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Making html button behave like hyperlink

Making html button behave like hyperlink

WJ

http://www.silverlion.com/staff/wjoh...est/page1.html

I am trying to make a button behave exactly like an href.
Here is a sample of code from the link above.

If I run this in firefox, it takes me to the next page find.
IE fails. I'd like to do this without any script at all.

Users just want buttons instead of hyperlinks.

<head>
<title>Page 1</title>
</head>

<h1>Page 1</h1>
<input type="button" name="test" value="Test">
</a>

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, WJ <(E-Mail Removed)>
spouted in alt.html:

> I am trying to make a button behave exactly like an href.

You've got it backwards. It *is* a link, so use the correct element
(<a>). Once you have done that, you can worry about what it looks like.
If you want it to look like a button, you can style the anchor
appropriately.

OTTOMH and not tested:

a:link {display: block; width: 8em; height: 1.5em; background-color:
#999999; border-top: 1px solid #CCCCCC; border-right: 1px solid #333333;
border-bottom: 1px solid #333333; border-left: 1px solid #CCCCCC;
text-decoration: none; color: #000000; cursor: default;}

> Users just want buttons instead of hyperlinks.

What makes you think that?

--
Mark Parnell
Att. Google Groups users - this is your last warning:

saz

In article <5NDzf.14155$V.1586@fed1read04>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

> http://www.silverlion.com/staff/wjoh...est/page1.html
>
> I am trying to make a button behave exactly like an href.
> Here is a sample of code from the link above.
>
> If I run this in firefox, it takes me to the next page find.
> IE fails. I'd like to do this without any script at all.
>
> Users just want buttons instead of hyperlinks.

They do? Who told you that?

Toby Inkster

WJ wrote:

> I am trying to make a button behave exactly like an href.

<form action="http://www.example.com/page.html" method="GET">
<input type="submit" value="Go to Example Page">
</form>

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Nick Theodorakis

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:02:28 -0600, saz <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <5NDzf.14155$V.1586@fed1read04>, (E-Mail Removed) says...

[...]

>> Users just want buttons instead of hyperlinks.
>>

>They do? Who told you that?

For some reason, deezyners think that links should look like buttons,
and that real buttons (as in form sumbit buttons) should look like
links (or images).

Nick
--
Nick Theodorakis
(E-Mail Removed)

saz

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:02:28 -0600, saz <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <5NDzf.14155$V.1586@fed1read04>, (E-Mail Removed) says...

> [...]
>
> >> Users just want buttons instead of hyperlinks.
> >>

> >They do? Who told you that?

> For some reason, deezyners think that links should look like buttons,
> and that real buttons (as in form sumbit buttons) should look like
> links (or images).
>
> Nick

If he continues this submit button path, he will produce a very ugly
webpage.

Travis Newbury

WJ wrote:
> http://www.silverlion.com/staff/wjoh...est/page1.html

You know, I went to your FAQ page, and it does not give me confidence
in silverlion at all.

Why mention you are 1/2 the price? 1/2 the price = 1/2 the quality.
You get what you pay for. Charge according to the work you do. Not
everyone looks at the price as the value of your work. You even
mention it twice in your FAQ. No one cares about your price. they
want confidence in you. This doesn't give them that.

Why mention "bug free"? If a company hires you, they have already
decided you will do good work. Don't give them any reason to doubt
that.

FIX YOUR WEB SITE! Why would I hire you to make me an application when
your page is filled with errors?

And Who asked these questions? Customers didn't. These are things you
"think" a customer would ask you. They aren't.

Just some thoughts

bardgd bardgd is offline
Junior Member

If you are using dream weaver, you can make flash buttons that you can use in place of a hyperlink.

bardgd bardgd is offline
Junior Member

If you are using dream weaver, you can use it to make flash buttons that will work like a hyperlink.

DavidOxclove DavidOxclove is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Newbury
WJ wrote:
> http://www.silverlion.com/staff/wjoh...est/page1.html

You know, I went to your FAQ page, and it does not give me confidence
in silverlion at all.

Why mention you are 1/2 the price? 1/2 the price = 1/2 the quality.
You get what you pay for. Charge according to the work you do. Not
everyone looks at the price as the value of your work. You even
mention it twice in your FAQ. No one cares about your price. they
want confidence in you. This doesn't give them that.

Why mention "bug free"? If a company hires you, they have already
decided you will do good work. Don't give them any reason to doubt
that.

FIX YOUR WEB SITE! Why would I hire you to make me an application when
your page is filled with errors?

And Who asked these questions? Customers didn't. These are things you
"think" a customer would ask you. They aren't.

Just some thoughts
Wow... That's an awful lot of criticism just to avoid answering his question. From other people as well.

Why can't you all just help? Is it that difficult?

I don't why the OP wanted to have his hyperlink look like a button, but here's why I want it to.

I have a Web Application that has an administrators section in it, seperate from the user's site.
There's a "Manage Members" section that lists the users. There are also a number of filters on the page. Right now I have a button that directs them to a page that builds the list and exports it into an Excel file. I don't want the page to change to the download box or just display the excel spreadsheet, so a Response.Redirect is not an option. I tried using window.open but that doesn't give consistent results. I think the only option I'm left with is to have an asp hyperlink and set the NavigateUrl (with arguments passed via querystring, as they are now) when the search completes.

And the client wants it to look like a button, not a link. And if you think the client is wrong and she should really want it to look like a link instead of a button in HER Admin, feel free to PM me and I'll pass your thoughts on.