Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > newbie...centering a submenu in ie??

newbie...centering a submenu in ie??

kaibo

i'm trying to create a horizontal tab navigation bar with a submenu below
it. i've finally got everything lined up in firefox, and even managed to get
the main menu to center in IE. the only problem i have is that i cannot
figure out why the submenu will not 'drop down' below the main menu in IE.
(it is working in firefox)

http://www.monkeymynd.com/testcr/ind...ation=products

any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

also, i originally had this set up another way where the sub menu was
actually contained (within) the main menu. in this case, the sub items were
left aligning to the selected main menu item. this looked nice, but i can't
seem to get this example working without moving the sub menu outside of the
main menu's <ul>. here is the original html code to compare against the link
above.

note: this was designed with another .css template, i just wanted to show
how the submenu is wrapped withing the main.
<ul id="primary">
<li></li>
<ul id="secondary">
<li><a
href="index.php?location=products&sublocation=modu les&modid=members">Modules
</a></li>
<li><a
href="index.php?location=products&sublocation=bill ing">Billing/EFT</a></li>
<li><a
href="index.php?location=products&sublocation=pric ing">Pricing</a></li>
<li><a
href="index.php?location=products&sublocation=keyt ags">Keytags</a></li>
</ul>
</ul>

kaibo

i added red & green backgrounds to show where things are lying down.
hopefully this is helpful to someone.

Jan Faerber

kaibo ... output:

> note: this was designed with another .css template, i just wanted to show
> how the submenu is wrapped withing the main.

<snip> Just use an URL like this one:
http://html.janfaerber.com/submenu/location.html

--
Jan

http://www.h-tut.at

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

kaibo wrote:

> i'm trying to create a horizontal tab navigation bar with a submenu below
> it. i've finally got everything lined up in firefox, and even managed to get
> the main menu to center in IE. the only problem i have is that i cannot
> figure out why the submenu will not 'drop down' below the main menu in IE.
> (it is working in firefox)
>
> http://www.monkeymynd.com/testcr/ind...ation=products
>
> any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Perhaps fixing all the errors would be a good start:
<http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A//www.monkeymynd.com/testcr/index.php%3Flocation%3Dproducts>
<http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css2&warning=2&uri=http%3A//www.monkeymynd.com/testcr/index.php%3Flocation%3Dproducts>

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

kaibo

i suppose i should have mentioned that this is someone elses code that was
given to me to fix. i just want to see if it's possible to center the menu
with the existing code first.

kaibo

i cleaned it up, but i am not sure how to get rid of this error:

Line 12 column 51: cannot generate system identifier for general entity
"sublocation".
....<a
href="index.php?location=products&sublocation=modu les&modid=members">Modul

kchayka

kaibo wrote:
> i cleaned it up, but i am not sure how to get rid of this error:
>
> Line 12 column 51: cannot generate system identifier for general entity
> "sublocation".
> ...<a
> href="index.php?location=products&sublocation=modu les&modid=members">Modul

Read the explanation that goes with the error. It will tell you exactly
what you need to know.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

kaibo wrote:

> i suppose i should have mentioned that this is someone elses code that
> was given to me to fix. i just want to see if it's possible to center
> the menu with the existing code first.

We've seen this page here asking for critique or help several times now.
So, you've been hired to fix it?

Did you google for the original poster's ID and find out what the
previous suggestions were? I don't remember them all at the moment.

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

kaibo

actually, i offered to update this website (for free) as a way to get some
experience. i'm currently working as a delphi programmer, but have an
interest in web design. thus...i have tried several different templates,
read many messages, etc. but still cannot get one scheme to work in both
browsers.

the majority of suggestions that i have been given have mainly been html
syntax issues that really aren't affecting the problem at hand. i cleaned up
the source as suggested, but still cannot get the submenu centered on IE.

i didn't realize it was such a big thing... seemed that if the main menu is
centering, then a seasoned web designed could give me a quick answer as to
what i'm doing wrong.

news:1u3sa0p3xjuzq$(E-Mail Removed)...