Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Easy CSS Question but I don't get it!!

Easy CSS Question but I don't get it!!

marksisson@gmail.com

Can someone shed some light on why the below displays in green in my
browser? Doesn't the anchor's class override its parent div tag's
class???

TEST.HTM
===================
<head>
<link rel='stylesheet' href='TestStyles.css' type='text/css'>
</head>
<a class="navselected" href="abc.htm">Why not blue?</a>

TESTSTYLES.CSS
===================
..navmain A { color: green; }
..navselected { color: blue; }

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity,
<(E-Mail Removed)> spouted in alt.html:

> Can someone shed some light on why the below displays in green in my
> browser? Doesn't the anchor's class override its parent div tag's
> class???

<snip>

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/cascade.html#specificity

--
Mark Parnell
Att. Google Groups users - this is your last warning:

marksisson@gmail.com

Uhhh, thanks for responding to my "spout". BTW, do you wear a cape
when you respond to posts? That whole saving humanity thing, wow, you
must be a super hero. So what's your super power? Do you have a
golden lasso to round-up people that ask inferior questions?

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity,
<(E-Mail Removed)> spouted in alt.html:

> Uhhh, thanks for responding to my "spout".

You're welcome. You asked a question, I pointed you to the relevant part
of the specifications that explains the behaviour in question. If you
still don't understand, feel free to ask further questions.

And please read the link in my .sig carefully.

--
Mark Parnell
Att. Google Groups users - this is your last warning:

marksisson@gmail.com

And to follow up, first and foremost I thank you for your help. It was
given free of charge and it really helped me out. I have no right to be
anything but grateful. I just can't figure you out. In your two posts
I've seen the following comments:

> Deciding to do something for the good of humanity,
> <(E-Mail Removed)> spouted in alt.html:

What was the purpose of this preface? It contained no substance except
to describe me as someone that spouts off. What did I write in my post
that deserved that?

> And please read the link in my .sig carefully.
> ================================================== ===
> Att. Google Groups users - this is your last warning:
> http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

In your second post I'm going to assume your closing effect was
unintentional. You instructed me to read your ".sig" (which I guess is
hip newgroup lingo) that told me this was my last warning. After I
chuckled a bit at the threat I proceeded to open what I assumed was
going to be the holy grail of links. Lo and behold you were right: that
was an amazing discourse about the all important use of greater signs
in replies. Greater than signs? Are you kidding me? Are you so
absorbed into your newsgroup life that this is your crusade?

So Mark, did I just get this all wrong? Are you really just a great
guy trying to make the Internet a better place?

Travis Newbury

> So Mark, did I just get this all wrong? Are you really just a great
> guy trying to make the Internet a better place?

Are you a dick all the time?

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity,
<(E-Mail Removed)> declared in alt.html:

> What was the purpose of this preface? It contained no substance except
> to describe me as someone that spouts off. What did I write in my post
> that deserved that?

It's just the attribution line that my newsreader inserts when I reply.
Yes I have customised it, but it wasn't intended to offend, and is not
specific to replies to your posts. Have a look at any of my other posts
from the last month or so, and you will see the same thing.

Anyway, I have replaced "spouted" with "declared". Better?

> You instructed me to read your ".sig" (which I guess is
> hip newgroup lingo)

Short for signature. The bit after the "-- " at the bottom of my post,
as you worked out.

> that told me this was my last warning.

It's a generic warning to anyone using Google Groups. It's my last-ditch
effort before implementing http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

> that
> was an amazing discourse about the all important use of greater signs
> in replies.

It seems you missed the point of the page in question. It is simply
instructions on how to quote the relevant parts of the post you are
replying to in GG. Most newsreaders - and GG - generally use greater
than signs to indicate quoted text, though there are various other
characters that are also commonly accepted.

> Greater than signs? Are you kidding me? Are you so
> absorbed into your newsgroup life that this is your crusade?

Just trying to educate GG users on how to use GG properly.

> So Mark, did I just get this all wrong? Are you really just a great
> guy

I do my best.

> trying to make the Internet a better place?

You see, there is the problem. This is Usenet, not the Internet.
Unfortunately GG blurs that distinction. But the fact that you are using
a web-based interface to access it doesn't change the fact that this is
a Usenet newsgroup, and Usenet has its own set of accepted rules and
conventions. Quoting the relevant parts of the message you are replying
to is one of them.

--
Mark Parnell
Att. Google Groups users - this is your last warning:

Blinky the Shark

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:11:43 +1100, Mark Parnell wrote:

> Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, <(E-Mail Removed)>
> declared in alt.html:
>
>> What was the purpose of this preface? It contained no substance except
>> to describe me as someone that spouts off. What did I write in my post
>> that deserved that?

> It's just the attribution line that my newsreader inserts when I reply.
> Yes I have customised it, but it wasn't intended to offend, and is not
> specific to replies to your posts. Have a look at any of my other posts
> from the last month or so, and you will see the same thing.
>
> Anyway, I have replaced "spouted" with "declared". Better?
>
>> You instructed me to read your ".sig" (which I guess is hip newgroup
>> lingo)

> Short for signature. The bit after the "-- " at the bottom of my post, as
> you worked out.
>
>> that told me this was my last warning.

> It's a generic warning to anyone using Google Groups. It's my last-ditch
> effort before implementing http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
>
>> that
>> was an amazing discourse about the all important use of greater signs in
>> replies.

> It seems you missed the point of the page in question. It is simply
> instructions on how to quote the relevant parts of the post you are
> replying to in GG. Most newsreaders - and GG - generally use greater than
> signs to indicate quoted text, though there are various other characters
> that are also commonly accepted.
>
>> Greater than signs? Are you kidding me? Are you so absorbed into your
>> newsgroup life that this is your crusade?

> Just trying to educate GG users on how to use GG properly.
>
>> So Mark, did I just get this all wrong? Are you really just a great guy

> I do my best.
>
>> trying to make the Internet a better place?

> You see, there is the problem. This is Usenet, not the Internet.
> Unfortunately GG blurs that distinction. But the fact that you are using a
> web-based interface to access it doesn't change the fact that this is a
> Usenet newsgroup, and Usenet has its own set of accepted rules and
> conventions. Quoting the relevant parts of the message you are replying to
> is one of them.

A hat tip to you for the effort, Mark. But I'm sure it fell on deaf
Google-befuddled ears. Eyes. No, those would be blind. Well, you know
what I mean...

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Blinky the Shark
<(E-Mail Removed)> declared in alt.html:

> A hat tip to you for the effort, Mark. But I'm sure it fell on deaf
> Google-befuddled ears. Eyes. No, those would be blind. Well, you know
> what I mean...

Indeed I do.

I still believe that the majority of GG users are simply uninformed,
rather than deliberately disruptive. I'm slowly leaning towards giving
up though - it's definitely an uphill battle. September is back with a
vengeance...

--
Mark Parnell
Att. Google Groups users - this is your last warning:

dorayme

In article
<43d562ae$0$3536$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mark Parnell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Deciding to do something for the good of humanity,
> <(E-Mail Removed)> declared in alt.html:
>
> > What was the purpose of this preface? It contained no substance except
> > to describe me as someone that spouts off. What did I write in my post
> > that deserved that?

> Anyway, I have replaced "spouted" with "declared". Better?

OP seems to think a reply in NG is like a very personal snail
mail letter! Anyway, you are a gentleman, Marcus. Now change it
again to "said" - shorter and without the slightest whiff of
humour to it...

> > that told me this was my last warning.

> It's a generic warning to anyone using Google Groups. It's my last-ditch
> effort before implementing http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

Oh, I see! Now that explains why old Blinky was a bit thingy
about wanting to correct a guy who referred to a NG as a site...
If I had known he was into this stuff (understanding and using
ngs right) I would not have kidded him so much...

--
dorayme