Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Dreamweaver or Frontpage or Plain HTML

Dreamweaver or Frontpage or Plain HTML

MajorSetback@excite.com

David Segall wrote:
> If you are a very good computer programmer it is likely that you are
> not a very good aesthetic designer so go to http://www.oswd.org/ and
> pick one of the free, open source, site templates. Get with the trend
> and use the advanced search to ensure that the site you pick uses CSS
> and conforms to one of the XHTML standards.

Thanks very much. I will do that.

> Now go to
> <http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=dreamweaver>
> and download the free thirty day trial. Use it to change the site you
> downloaded to match your requirements. It includes a perfectly good
> text editor and an FTP program which is the minimum requirement to set
> up a web site. If, at the end of the thirty days, you find you have
> only used the text editor and FTP program then choose something else.
> If, like me, you like the way Dreamweaver can edit a site from the
> code, pictorial, CSS or even File view buy it. You may even want to
> buy it because it provides a one-click way to view your pages in each
> of the multiple browsers you should have on your computer or because
> it will reformat, validate and check the links on your pages.

Seems like a good compromise.

Thanks,
Peter.

MajorSetback@excite.com

Paul Ding wrote:

> People are going to judge you software by the quality of your website.
> You don't want a static website; you need something dynamic. A
> bulletin board lets your users rave about your product, lets your
> users suggest new uses for your product, and provide workarounds for
> the, ahem, "features" we all work so hard to avoid. A blog lets your
> users feel like they know you personally, and not only do many people
> prefer to buy from a friend, even the ones that want to keep an arms'
> length from their suppliers will be happy to believe that it's easy to
> contact you for support. They worry about buying a product they can't
> figure out how to use, with support in Mumbai, complete with such a
> heavy accent they can't undestand.

Seems like an excellent idea. I envision that one of the stregths of
my business is that I will be working directly with the clients rather
than having a mydiad of levels of management having endless meeting
with other management and never having time for the customer. I guess
the only problem I anticipate is that competitors can also read the
blogs and get ideas, not only about suggested improvements but also
about the current product.

The rest of what you said is also very helpful and makes a lot of sense
with the caveate that the sowftare I will be producing with, at least
initially, be mainly targeted at research labs in hospitals and
universities. The users would hopefully be visiting the website and
participating in the blogs but the people with the purse strings would
probably not. My competitors would probably be mainly negotiating
prices (which would probably be quite steep) with the people with the
purse strings.

> Good luck in your venture!

Thanks very much and thanks very much for your very helpful advice,
Peter.

Stewart Gordon

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 12:09:51 +0000, Andy Dingley wrote:

>>> I took a little time to read that article and it is a *terrible* example
>>> to foist on newbies who want to abandon WYSIWYG obsfucation. It was
>>> written in 1997, and is now horribly out of date.

>> On a .info domain ?

> How do you know it's not a 1997 product that's been moved to an .info
> site?

It's neither of those.

It's in a site that was in a .com domain OUAT, and for which a .info
domain was later registered. Read this brief history of Dan's websites:

http://dan.tobias.name/aboutme/thissite.html

Stewart.

--

the 'group where everyone may benefit.