Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Dreamweaver or Frontpage or Plain HTML

Dreamweaver or Frontpage or Plain HTML

MajorSetback@excite.com

I am starting up a home business and will be setting up a web site to
market the software that I will be developing in C++. I was wondering
if I should buy something like Dreamweaver or Frontpage or try to
develop the web pages directly using HTML and a text editor. I have
not had experience building web pages but have had several years
experience in programming in C and C++ and in using LaTeX for document
preparation.

Thanks,
Peter.

Chris Sharman

> I am starting up a home business and will be setting up a web site to
> market the software that I will be developing in C++. I was wondering
> if I should buy something like Dreamweaver or Frontpage or try to
> develop the web pages directly using HTML and a text editor. I have
> not had experience building web pages but have had several years
> experience in programming in C and C++ and in using LaTeX for document
> preparation.

Not tried fp, but dw seems to be a very primitive table-based thing - I
shelled out for it, but junked it after a while.

html-kit from www.chami.com is good, or notepad.

Chris

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, (E-Mail Removed) quothed:

> I am starting up a home business and will be setting up a web site to
> market the software that I will be developing in C++. I was wondering
> if I should buy something like Dreamweaver or Frontpage or try to
> develop the web pages directly using HTML and a text editor.

The latter. Html is simple. Css, which you'll also need, is fairly
simple although there are some issues regarding its efficacy and inter-
browser rendering.

You should be able to make a decent web page within 1-2 weeks. If you
apply yourself, you could be an "expert" in both well within a year.

I started by viewing the source of and "hacking" (-benignly) html email
then diddling with frontpage and being accordingly dissatisfied then
viewing the source of web pages I liked on the Net. The biggest flaw in
my learning-curve was not finding a newsgroup such as this one sooner to
get feedback on which procedures were right and which were not so right
as well as further methods and additional information not encountered in
my other efforts.

Hope this helps.

--
Neredbojias

granpaw

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> I am starting up a home business and will be setting up a web site to
> market the software that I will be developing in C++. I was wondering
> if I should buy something like Dreamweaver or Frontpage or try to
> develop the web pages directly using HTML and a text editor. I have
> not had experience building web pages but have had several years
> experience in programming in C and C++ and in using LaTeX for document
> preparation.

> Thanks,
> Peter.

Hello Peter,
No one needs to use a bloated (IMHO) webpage editor that costs big money
and adds all kinds of useless junk to your code usch as DW or Frontpage.
Try this link:
http://www.evrsoft.com, It's free for the taking and has four levels of
function, from newbie to pro...built in FTP also.

Just a suggestion, hope this helps, and good luck.
granpaw

Rastus

Spend 80 dollars and get a proffessionally designed template if you can find
one to suit your needs.

Yes - we all know that webmasters are meant to make their own web pages,
only use notepad, only eat jolt and pizza and masturbate nightly with
cheesegraters etc, but it is just irresistably cost effective to use off the
shelf.

I tend to use project 7 templates simply because it would cost me waaaay
more than the template cost to do it myself. You only get so much time in a
day and some tasks pay better dividends than others.

William Tasso

Fleeing from the madness of the jungle
Rastus <(E-Mail Removed)> stumbled into
and said:

> Yes - we all know that webmasters are meant to make their own web pages,
> only use notepad, only eat jolt and pizza and masturbate nightly with
> cheesegraters etc,

Just nightly? bah - lightweight

--
William Tasso

dreaming in monochrome binary - to save bandwidth

David Segall

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I am starting up a home business and will be setting up a web site to
>market the software that I will be developing in C++. I was wondering
>if I should buy something like Dreamweaver or Frontpage or try to
>develop the web pages directly using HTML and a text editor. I have
>not had experience building web pages but have had several years
>experience in programming in C and C++ and in using LaTeX for document
>preparation.
>
>Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Peter.

If you are a very good computer programmer it is likely that you are
not a very good aesthetic designer so go to http://www.oswd.org/ and
pick one of the free, open source, site templates. Get with the trend
and use the advanced search to ensure that the site you pick uses CSS
and conforms to one of the XHTML standards.

Now go to
<http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=dreamweaver>
and download the free thirty day trial. Use it to change the site you
downloaded to match your requirements. It includes a perfectly good
text editor and an FTP program which is the minimum requirement to set
up a web site. If, at the end of the thirty days, you find you have
only used the text editor and FTP program then choose something else.
If, like me, you like the way Dreamweaver can edit a site from the
code, pictorial, CSS or even File view buy it. You may even want to
buy it because it provides a one-click way to view your pages in each
of the multiple browsers you should have on your computer or because
it will reformat, validate and check the links on your pages.

I should add that if you currently program in C++ using only vi,
Notepad, punched cards or even Emacs you will hate Dreamweaver. Use
the one you like to edit the HTML.

Bruce Lewis

Use latex2html if you're already familiar with latex.

HTML is a much simpler markup language than latex, so you can probably
pick it up quickly once you're done with your current project.

--

http://ourdoings.com/ Easily organize and disseminate news and
photos for your family or group.

Matt Probert

On 8 Jan 2006 07:56:37 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> have had several years experience in using LaTeX

Some guys have all the luck! I can't get my missus to wear PVC, let
alone rubber.....

</get coat>

Matt

PS

As everyone else has said, use a text editor and learn HTML, it's very
simple and unsophisticated.

--
The Probert Encyclopaedia - Beyond Britannica
http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com

Travis Newbury

David Segall wrote:
> If you are a very good computer programmer it is likely that you are
> not a very good aesthetic designer so go to http://www.oswd.org/...

nice site.