Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Dreamweaver or Frontpage or Plain HTML

Dreamweaver or Frontpage or Plain HTML

MajorSetback@excite.com

I am starting up a home business and will be setting up a web site to
market the software that I will be developing in C++. I was wondering
if I should buy something like Dreamweaver or Frontpage or try to
develop the web pages directly using HTML and a text editor. I have
not had experience building web pages but have had several years
experience in programming in C and C++ and in using LaTeX for document
preparation.

Thanks,
Peter.

Els

> I am starting up a home business and will be setting up a web site to
> market the software that I will be developing in C++. I was wondering
> if I should buy something like Dreamweaver or Frontpage or try to
> develop the web pages directly using HTML and a text editor. I have
> not had experience building web pages but have had several years
> experience in programming in C and C++ and in using LaTeX for document
> preparation.

Don't buy a program, just learn HTML and CSS, and use a good editor.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

William Tasso

Fleeing from the madness of the http://groups.google.com jungle
<(E-Mail Removed)> stumbled into
and said:

> I was wondering
> if I should buy something like Dreamweaver or Frontpage or try to
> develop the web pages directly using HTML and a text editor...

ok - that's just about the single most controversal question you could ask.

As you are using the g/groups interface it should be trivial for you to
research previous threads on the subject - in any of the cross-posted
groups.

Your goal is to produce web documents that get your message across to the
most visitors - which, in part, means ensuring they conform to the
published specifications.

If you are able to master the complexities of generated markup then I have
been led to believe that either d/w or f/p are useful tools - however, it
seems to me that beginers have enough to learn and would be best advised
to use a suitable text editor.

--
William Tasso

Save the drama
for your Mama.

Bernhard Sturm

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I am starting up a home business and will be setting up a web site to
> market the software that I will be developing in C++. I was wondering
> if I should buy something like Dreamweaver or Frontpage or try to
> develop the web pages directly using HTML and a text editor.

I started with FP 8 years ago. After 1 year I've found FP just a pain in
the a** because it seemed to be ignorant of proper HTML-coding (I don't
know if the latest version of FP still behaves the same way, I stayed
away from this editor). What I wanted was a tool that enabled me to
produce generic HTML-code which I would be able to adapt and change to
my own needs without having the editor injecting proprietary editor-code
at a later stage of editing. I've then been using DW for quite some
time, and found it very appropriate for my needs. The last couple of
years I switched completely to a plain-text editor (UltraEdit) in order
to produce my pages. Because I want to have full control over my source,
and I don't want a big tool to organise my sites structure, I think I am
big enough to do that myself.
To sum up: The choice for a WYSIWYG-editor seems to be okay for an
absolute beginner, but the editor should be able to adapt to the users
needs, hence the more control a webdesigner wants over the source the
less proprietary editor behaviour should be involved. IMHO a good editor
encourages you to learn proper (X)HTML which should be the end goal.

just my two cents
bernhard

--
www.daszeichen.ch
remove nixspam to reply

Travis Newbury

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I am starting up a home business and will be setting up a web site to
> market the software that I will be developing in C++....

You develop in C++ then you have the ability to learn HTML really
fast. Do a google search of this group for "editor list" and you wil
be rewarded with a ton of free editors that will let you create the
site you want.

Jacque

Here's my .02:

Hire someone who does web pages and knows something about usability to
do this for you. Think of this as a marketing project, not a coding
project. I believe you when you say you have programming experience,
but the ability to build a web page does not equate to the ability to
market your product effectively.

Jacque

Jose

> I was wondering
> if I should buy something like Dreamweaver or Frontpage

.... don't get FrontPage - not because it's bad (it is awful) but
rather, because once you start in front page, you canNOT ever release
yourself from it. Frontpage mungs your source at the server. You
cannot modify your pages without using FrontPage, which is a problem if
you are travelling.

Jose

Tony

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I am starting up a home business and will be setting up a web site to
> market the software that I will be developing in C++. I was wondering
> if I should buy something like Dreamweaver or Frontpage or try to
> develop the web pages directly using HTML and a text editor. I have
> not had experience building web pages but have had several years
> experience in programming in C and C++ and in using LaTeX for document
> preparation.

I started coding HTML in straight text. Eventually, I moved on to
FrontPage to "speed up" development. I found myself spending more time
in the code view fixing the crap it added. I also tried Dreamweaver,
and although it was better, I still found myself spending most of my
time in code view. Given the price involved, I decided to go back to
using a straight syntax-highlighted text editor (I use Crimson -
www.crimsoneditor.com) & have been doing quite well with that since.

Go with the text editor - if you want to see what the page looks like,
well, you DO have a browser, right?

Geoff Muldoon

(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Here's my .02:
>
> Hire someone who does web pages and knows something about usability to
> do this for you. Think of this as a marketing project, not a coding
> project. I believe you when you say you have programming experience,
> but the ability to build a web page does not equate to the ability to
> market your product effectively.

Most strongly concur, this is the best advice you can get.

Your problems will not be with coding (html is sooo much easier than c++),
but with design - graphics, accessibility, usability. A little
professional help will be invaluable.

Then get a good book on html and css, and a good text editor (if you're a
coder you'll be able to find one to suit your own preferences - I use
Crimson Editor) for ongoing maintenance.

Geoff M

David Ross

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I am starting up a home business and will be setting up a web site to
> market the software that I will be developing in C++. I was wondering
> if I should buy something like Dreamweaver or Frontpage or try to
> develop the web pages directly using HTML and a text editor. I have
> not had experience building web pages but have had several years
> experience in programming in C and C++ and in using LaTeX for document
> preparation.

If you need a tool (rather than hand-coding the HTML), you might
try Nvu at <http://www.nvu.com/>. It's free, and it seems to
create Web pages that are compliant with the W3C specifications.

You say you are a C++ programmer and that you plan to market
software that you are developing. I hope all your programs
compile error-free (i.e., that they have correct C++ syntax).
Similarly, you should try to create Web pages that have correct
HTML and CSS syntax. Thus, you should test each of your Web pages
at <http://validator.w3.org/> (for HTML) and at
<http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/> (for CSS).

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
into your E-mail? Use PGP.
See my <http://www.rossde.com/PGP/>