Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > MT-NewsWatcher

MT-NewsWatcher

dorayme

Anyone use MT-Newswatcher on X Tiger and know how to get a spell
check working? The procedure to select the Apple dictionary that
comes on Tiger does not work. Any suggestions. Need more info?

Leonard Blaisdell

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Anyone use MT-Newswatcher on X Tiger and know how to get a spell
> check working? The procedure to select the Apple dictionary that
> comes on Tiger does not work. Any suggestions. Need more info?

Are you using version 3.4 of MT-NW? Spelling errors are indicated by a
red line below what you've typed using version 3.4 and in X Panther. I'm
too poor to get the hotshot Tiger upgrade
But I haven't heard any complaints in <news:comp.sys.mac.apps>, and I
think I would have.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

Sally Thompson

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 22:33:14 +0000, dorayme wrote
(in article <(E-Mail Removed)>):
> Anyone use MT-Newswatcher on X Tiger and know how to get a spell
> check working? The procedure to select the Apple dictionary that
> comes on Tiger does not work. Any suggestions. Need more info?

How are you getting on with MT-Newswatcher? You said it was driving you nuts
a few weeks ago (I took careful note!), and since I have just got my new iMac
(Friday), I have been experimenting with newsreaders. Tried MT-N and hated
it, but you may like to try Hogwasher - not free, but a free 60 day trial.
So far I prefer it to MT-Newswatcher, it's a bit nearer Agent in its display,
though not as good. The filters seem a bit limited though - you can't Ignore
an author, subject, whatever, only Delete. If you want to take this to email
I do check the one which should be in the headers from time to time.

First posting from a Mac so apologies in advance for all errors

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)-sjc.supernews.net>,
Leonard Blaisdell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Anyone use MT-Newswatcher on X Tiger and know how to get a spell
> > check working? The procedure to select the Apple dictionary that
> > comes on Tiger does not work. Any suggestions. Need more info?

> Are you using version 3.4 of MT-NW? Spelling errors are indicated by a
> red line below what you've typed using version 3.4 and in X Panther. I'm
> too poor to get the hotshot Tiger upgrade
> But I haven't heard any complaints in <news:comp.sys.mac.apps>, and I
> think I would have.
>
> leo

I am using latest version 3.4, but what do I do then, actually -
shock, horror, correct by hand? Look up a dictionary (yes, there
is a good one on Tiger)? I had thought there would be a spell
check where you can accept the suggestion or tell the checker to
learn the word...(latter is important to me). What do you do?
Does the procedure I outlined in OP work for you in Panther to
spell check as in (say) Mail?

I notice that color gets underlined but colour is fine. So it is
using a dictionary, but not the Tiger one in Utilities. God knows
which it uses?

You see I have been spoilt by OE for years which auto uses MS
Office dictionary!

I am sort of getting used to this MT thing, not quite liking it
but assured by so many that it is top quality... so it may just
be me having to appreciate it! So I am giving it a go.

Perhaps I better subscribe to this news:comp.sys.mac.apps of
yours and ask there?

I do have quite some questions about MT. Perhaps I better take
them there? One particularly annoying thing for me is not knowing
how to get new posts on this newsreader without quitting MT and
starting again. And I notice the search function in the help file
(website) invariably goes to page not found... Methinks Tiger and
MT are not altogether well married...

--
dorayme

--
dorayme

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed) et>,
Sally Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 22:33:14 +0000, dorayme wrote
> (in article <(E-Mail Removed)>):
> > Anyone use MT-Newswatcher on X Tiger and know how to get a spell
> > check working? The procedure to select the Apple dictionary that
> > comes on Tiger does not work. Any suggestions. Need more info?

> How are you getting on with MT-Newswatcher? You said it was driving you nuts
> a few weeks ago (I took careful note!), and since I have just got my new iMac
> (Friday), I have been experimenting with newsreaders. Tried MT-N and hated
> it, but you may like to try Hogwasher - not free, but a free 60 day trial.

Thanks Sally, I am persisting with MT, hoping the claims for its
quality will seep into my bones in good time. But I will have a
peek at your suggestion. All the best...

--
dorayme

--
dorayme

Leonard Blaisdell

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I had thought there would be a spell
> check where you can accept the suggestion or tell the checker to
> learn the word...(latter is important to me). What do you do?

Um, lets see, what do I do. Usually I hack around with different
spelling on the red underlined word till it goes away I really
haven't dug into it. I do notice that I have 'Edit->Spelling->Check
spelling as you type' checked, but that's as far as I've gone.

> Does the procedure I outlined in OP work for you in Panther to
> spell check as in (say) Mail?

Probably not. I used Mail for such a short time that I never checked
spelling options. If you're asking whether MT-NW suggests words, I don't
know that it does. I use Eudora for mail which does suggest words.

> Perhaps I better subscribe to this news:comp.sys.mac.apps of
> yours and ask there?

Some real MT-NW powerusers hang out there.

> One particularly annoying thing for me is not knowing
> how to get new posts on this newsreader without quitting MT and
> starting again.

Apple-y will update posts when the groups list is in the foreground.

> And I notice the search function in the help file
> (website) invariably goes to page not found... Methinks Tiger and
> MT are not altogether well married...

The online manual works fine in Panther. It simply directs a browser to
<http://www.smfr.org/mtnw/docs/>. I sympathize with you though. As I
can't imagine using anything other than MT-NW, for those used to another
interface, it is probably puzzling at the very least. However, the help
menu covers a lot of ground and is well written.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

Jose

> Um, lets see, what do I do. Usually I hack around with different
> spelling on the red underlined word till it goes away

Did you try a right click? Some programs provide a list of alternatives
on a right click (or trick click)

Jose

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)-sjc.supernews.net>,
Leonard Blaisdell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I had thought there would be a spell
> > check where you can accept the suggestion or tell the checker to
> > learn the word.....

> > Perhaps I better subscribe to this news:comp.sys.mac.apps of
> > yours and ask there?

> Some real MT-NW powerusers hang out there.

In that case I better go there and see if I can get answers
without causing too much trouble.

> > One particularly annoying thing for me is not knowing
> > how to get new posts on this newsreader without quitting MT and
> > starting again.

> Apple-y will update posts when the groups list is in the foreground.

Thanks for this, yes. Well done.

> > And I notice the search function in the help file
> > (website) invariably goes to page not found... Methinks Tiger and
> > MT are not altogether well married...

> The online manual works fine in Panther. It simply directs a browser to
> <http://www.smfr.org/mtnw/docs/>.

Yes, but have you had any luck at all with the search function in
it? Top right button, try anything at all like the word
filtering... I get "page not found". No need to worry, I can ask
at your suggested MT NG...

(BTW I notice my signature does not appear here, but if I type
it, it then appears on the NG as doubled up. I am very concerned
about this sig business as it seems very important to Mr. Little
and possibly Luigi.)

--
dorayme

dorayme

> From: Jose <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>> Um, lets see, what do I do. Usually I hack around with different
>> spelling on the red underlined word till it goes away

> Did you try a right click? Some programs provide a list of alternatives
> on a right click (or trick click)

Just now (ie. control click with one button Mac mouse). Nothing relevant to
spelling on the context menu that comes up. I can scramble the word, I can
wrap, unwrap, rewrap, it and more...

It is not a very big problem for me because of my great erudition and
incredible tendency not to make mistakes. But I am now determined to get a
spell check into MT or bust. Besides, lesser mortals might use my computer
from time to time...

(I once did misspell a word and had to write lines... This just an English
school thing? You know what lines are? No, they are not caning marks on the
hand (or lower anatomy, Boji). They are the repeated handwriting of the like
of "I must not spell 'irrelevant' 'irrelevent')

--
dorayme

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme
<(E-Mail Removed)> spouted in alt.html:

> (BTW I notice my signature does not appear here, but if I type
> it, it then appears on the NG as doubled up.

Looks fine here - just appears once.

> I am very concerned
> about this sig business as it seems very important to Mr. Little
> and possibly Luigi.)

You probably missed where Barbara managed to get into Luigi's killfile
the other day? If you're still worried about his killfile, you could
always ask her.

--
Mark Parnell
Att. Google Groups users - this is your last warning: