Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Layout and images at IE and Firefox

Layout and images at IE and Firefox

Luigi Donatello Asero

I have noticed that both the quality of the images on my website and the
layout of the menu on the left looks much better if I browse my website at
IE than at Firefox.
What does it depend on?
Does IE improve the layout automatically or does Firefox make it look worse?
Which one renders better the requirements from W3 and why?

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv...a/riomaggiore/

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

> I have noticed that both the quality of the images on my website and
> the layout of the menu on the left looks much better if I browse my
> website at IE than at Firefox.

Then you have mistakes. Images will look distorted when you put height
and width in the HTML that is not equal to the exact size of the image.

https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/bilder/oen-elba.jpg
Width: 230px, Height: 230px
Physical Width: 200px, Physical Height: 200px

You also have errors in your CSS file.
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/default.css

Go here http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/csscheck/
and paste in your css. Browsers are free to ignore your CSS when they
encounter an error.

> What does it depend on?

It depends on how well you construct the pages.

> Does IE improve the layout automatically or does Firefox make it look worse?

Luigi, if you read threads other than your own, you would know that IE
is very broken. You would also know that Firefox is a
standards-conforming browser, rather than a browser that attempts to
guess what you want, as IE does.

> Which one renders better the requirements from W3 and why?

Firefox, of course. Why? Ask Microsoft why they chose not to abide by
the standards.

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:mryis7pxkmu5.xymtgfji28x0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
>
> > I have noticed that both the quality of the images on my website and
> > the layout of the menu on the left looks much better if I browse my
> > website at IE than at Firefox.

> Then you have mistakes. Images will look distorted when you put height
> and width in the HTML that is not equal to the exact size of the image.

I know that.
I am going to check up later or more probably some other day.

> https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/bilder/oen-elba.jpg
> Width: 230px, Height: 230px
> Physical Width: 200px, Physical Height: 200px
>
> You also have errors in your CSS file.
> https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/default.css

> Go here http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/csscheck/
> and paste in your css. Browsers are free to ignore your CSS when they
> encounter an error.

Ok
> > What does it depend on?

> It depends on how well you construct the pages.
>
> > Does IE improve the layout automatically or does Firefox make it look

worse?

> Luigi, if you read threads other than your own, you would know that IE
> is very broken.

Sometimes I read them ( in most cases I have not had the time because I
already get many answers in so many different Ngs and different languages
and I do not like sitting and writing in the NG the whole time either) and
yes, I had probably read something like that. However, I am confident that
you understand that people can also be interested to support the idea of a
browser being better than an other...(as in politics there are different
opinions as well)
and many of those who write in the
NGs do not even write their real name, so ..
Both Firefox and IE have had problems, the only real difference which I can
see is that IE at the moment has some problem which Microsoft has not
solved yet.

You would also know that Firefox is a
> standards-conforming browser, rather than a browser that attempts to
> guess what you want, as IE does.

Again, I think that I have read or heard that but that does not mean that
everyone thinks the same way.

> > Which one renders better the requirements from W3 and why?

> Firefox, of course. Why? Ask Microsoft why they chose not to abide by
> the standards.

If that is really the case, perhaps it depends on that Microsoft prefers
browser which correct design mistakes.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv...a/riomaggiore/

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero
<(E-Mail Removed)> spouted in alt.html:

> Again, I think that I have read or heard that but that does not mean that
> everyone thinks the same way.

Which browser is better is a matter of opinion. Which browser is more
standards-compliant is a simple fact.

--
Mark Parnell
Att. Google Groups users - this is your last warning:

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Mark Parnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:43bdc677$0$15802$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero
> <(E-Mail Removed)> spouted in alt.html:
>
> > Again, I think that I have read or heard that but that does not mean

that
> > everyone thinks the same way.

> Which browser is better is a matter of opinion. Which browser is more
> standards-compliant is a simple fact.

CSS1 or CSS2?
See
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visuren.html
Which standards are we talking about?

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv...a/riomaggiore/

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero
<(E-Mail Removed)> spouted in alt.html:

> Which standards are we talking about?

CSS1, CSS2, HTML, XHTML, whatever. CSS in particular. IE is behind just
about every other relatively modern browser on all counts (except e.g.
non-CSS browsers of course). Have a look at any compatibility chart,
e.g. http://macedition.com/cb/resources/a...sssupport.html

--
Mark Parnell
Att. Google Groups users - this is your last warning:

Leonard Blaisdell

In article
<43bdcc5f$0$15789$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mark Parnell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero
> <(E-Mail Removed)> spouted in alt.html:
>
> > Which standards are we talking about?

> CSS1, CSS2, HTML, XHTML, whatever. CSS in particular. IE is behind just
> about every other relatively modern browser on all counts (except e.g.
> non-CSS browsers of course). Have a look at any compatibility chart,
> e.g. http://macedition.com/cb/resources/a...sssupport.html

Move iCab very significantly into the green zone with iCab 3+. It's too
bad that there isn't a six-monthly revision of lists like this to state
the obvious. IE needs major revision to conform to any standards but its
own.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

Jonathan N. Little

Mark Parnell wrote:
> Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero
> <(E-Mail Removed)> spouted in alt.html:
>

>>Which standards are we talking about?

> CSS1, CSS2, HTML, XHTML, whatever. CSS in particular. IE is behind just
> about every other relatively modern browser on all counts (except e.g.
> non-CSS browsers of course). Have a look at any compatibility chart,
> e.g. http://macedition.com/cb/resources/a...sssupport.html

I dunno Mark IE is the browser for independent thinking people

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:43bddefd$0$6439$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Mark Parnell wrote:
> > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> spouted in alt.html:
> >

> >>Which standards are we talking about?

> > CSS1, CSS2, HTML, XHTML, whatever. CSS in particular. IE is behind just
> > about every other relatively modern browser on all counts (except e.g.
> > non-CSS browsers of course). Have a look at any compatibility chart,
> > e.g. http://macedition.com/cb/resources/a...sssupport.html
> >

> I dunno Mark IE is the browser for independent thinking people

To some extent...
IE depends on Windows, doesn´t it?

Back to Beauregard T. Shagnasty´s suggestions,
the validator has a note:
Note: CSSCheck is primarily a CSS1 checker. Many CSS2 properties are
supported, but new CSS2 selectors will generate errors.
http://www.htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/csscheck.cgi
Anyway I get several warnings for

http://www.htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/csscheck.cgi
and some errors.
"Error: Classes may contain only the characters A-Z, a-z, 0-9, Unicode
161-255, hyphens, or escaped Unicode characters as numeric codes."

But
no error
with CSS validator from W3
by direct input

Why?

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv...a/riomaggiore/

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Mark Parnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:43bdcc5f$0$15789$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero
> <(E-Mail Removed)> spouted in alt.html:
>
> > Which standards are we talking about?

> CSS1, CSS2, HTML, XHTML, whatever. CSS in particular. IE is behind just
> about every other relatively modern browser on all counts (except e.g.
> non-CSS browsers of course). Have a look at any compatibility chart,
> e.g. http://macedition.com/cb/resources/a...sssupport.html
>
> --
> Mark Parnell

Interesting table.