Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Detecting a page accessed using browser history?

Detecting a page accessed using browser history?

Ed Jay

Is there a method for detecting what page the user came from when a page
is accessed using the browser's history and javascript history.go() or
history.back()?

--
Ed Jay (remove M to respond by email)

Martin Weitzel

No, the only way is afaik using the referer.

--
Martin Weitzel - TriggerTG.de Webdesign

Jonathan N. Little

Martin Weitzel wrote:
> No, the only way is afaik using the referer.

If not block by browser or firewall...Norton's Internet Security blocks it.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Martin Weitzel"
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news(E-Mail Removed):

> No, the only way is afaik using the referer.

What are you referring to? In the future, please be sure to quote relavent
text.

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

Rob McAninch

Ed Jay <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<news:(E-Mail Removed) > :

> Is there a method for detecting what page the user came from
> when a page is accessed using the browser's history

Where they came from in this scenario is a 'direct entry' and
should be logged as such. What page that happened to be viewing
when they decided to use the browser's history is probably not
relevant.

> and javascript history.go() or history.back()?

This should be the referer from their browser, though possibly if
the page is already cached and the browser is not configured to
automatically check for updates then it won't be logged at the
server.

--
Rob McAninch
http://rock13.com