Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Google Spider questions / problem

Google Spider questions / problem

Jemdam.com

Hi, I have a well established site and have been listed in Google for years.
There is a key search term which I'm promoting so I can move up the ranks.
The Google spider indexes my index.php with a varaible based off my
affiliate system:

I.E. http://www.pubtricks.com/index.php?id=158

Is there a way to stop it so it indexes cleanly:

I.E. http://www.pubtricks.com or http://www.pubtricks.com/index.php

All 3 URLS provide the same content but the id=158 is costing me a lot of
money has all my promotion work is loosing 20% to an affiliate.

If you want to see it first hand type magic tricks into Google.com and at
position 25 (ish) you will see the first URL I listed.

If anyone has ideas how to clean this up please let me know.

Thanks,

David

Rob McAninch

Jemdam.com>:
> Hi, I have a well established site and have been listed in Google [...]
> I.E. http://www.pubtricks.com/index.php?id=158
>
> Is there a way to stop it so it indexes cleanly:
>
> I.E. http://www.pubtricks.com or http://www.pubtricks.com/index.php

Pet peeve.

That should be I.e. (or perhaps i.e.), it is an abbreviation and
both letters don't get capitalized unless you're starting a sentence
with it (and you're not starting a sentence).

http://www1.umn.edu/urelate/style/la...nchor-E.g-6296

> If anyone has ideas how to clean this up please let me know.

Try:
http://www.google.com/intl/en/webmasters/3.html

I would guess that Google originally found your site with the
affiliate tag attached to the URL and it stuck in the system.

--
Rob McAninch
http://rock13.com

Jemdam.com

> That should be I.e. (or perhaps i.e.), it is an abbreviation and both
> letters don't get capitalized unless you're starting a sentence with it
> (and you're not starting a sentence).
>
> http://www1.umn.edu/urelate/style/la...nchor-E.g-6296

Thanks for the google link but lay off on the English lesson. I have trouble
writing and your comments are just rude. Every time I use these forums I
cannot get over the people who go off on a tangent putting others down. I
don't get it, why are people here just so rude? I welcome people's views on
this. Is it:

a) over weight star trek fans who don't get out much so they like to abuse
others
b) just rude people
c) something else

Greg N.

Jemdam.com wrote:

> I have trouble writing

No you don't. Somebody whith real problems would not likely have been
picked on. Judging from the overall quality of your expression, I would
have guessed you're somebody who can take it.

--
Gregor's Motorradreisen:
http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Jemdam.com quothed:

> > That should be I.e. (or perhaps i.e.), it is an abbreviation and both
> > letters don't get capitalized unless you're starting a sentence with it
> > (and you're not starting a sentence).
> >
> > http://www1.umn.edu/urelate/style/la...nchor-E.g-6296

> Thanks for the google link but lay off on the English lesson. I have trouble
> writing and your comments are just rude. Every time I use these forums I
> cannot get over the people who go off on a tangent putting others down. I
> don't get it, why are people here just so rude? I welcome people's views on
> this. Is it:
>
> a) over weight star trek fans who don't get out much so they like to abuse
> others
> b) just rude people
> c) something else

Sitting (at the computer) for long periods of time tends to give people
gas which tends to make them "farty". The solution is to cut a hole in
the seat for a vent or replace your work chair with an old toilet.

--
Neredbojias

Chris Beall

Jemdam.com wrote:

(snip)
> don't get it, why are people here just so rude? I welcome people's views on
> this.

(snip)

Jemdam,

Since you asked, here are my views:

People should be polite to each other.

Rob started out by saying 'Pet peeve', which alerts you the fact that
you've irritated him. Irritated people sometimes over react, but most
do so without warning. In this case you at least got a hint in advance.
Rob then gave you a very emotionally neutral comment regarding an
error in your communication. For USENET, the wording of his comment was
exceedingly delicate. He followed it up with an authoritative
reference, as a way of communicating "This isn't just me talking".

Is it appropriate to correct language errors in USENET posts? I
think that sometimes it is, but, for obvious reasons, I would do wo with
great caution.
If the error did not affect the accuracy of your post, I would
probably drop the matter. If the error hit one of my pet peeves, I
would most likely do the same, but it would depend on my mood at the moment.
If the error DID affect the accuracy of your post, or was clearly
causing confusion, I would likely call it to your attention. My first
approach would be a private e-mail, but you have concealed your real
e-mail address, so that was not an option in this case.

Net: I would probably not have commented on the error in this
specific case, but I'm not going to be rude to Rob and take the position
that he was wrong to do so.

Chris Beall

Greg N.

Chris Beall wrote:

> Rob started out by saying 'Pet peeve', which alerts you the fact that
> you've irritated him.

Interesting. English is not my mother tongue, so I might be
misinterpreting this... but:

I always thought that if somebody announces a "pet peeve", he admits
that this is kindof an obsession of his, and that people should not take
the sally he is making overly serious.

In other words, he is saying that he is not _really_ irritated, he just
loves to dwell upon the given subject.

--
Gregor's Motorradreisen:
http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/

Chris Beall

Greg N. wrote:

> Chris Beall wrote:
>
>> Rob started out by saying 'Pet peeve', which alerts you the fact
>> that you've irritated him.

> Interesting. English is not my mother tongue, so I might be
> misinterpreting this... but:
>
> I always thought that if somebody announces a "pet peeve", he admits
> that this is kindof an obsession of his, and that people should not take
> the sally he is making overly serious.
>
> In other words, he is saying that he is not _really_ irritated, he just
> loves to dwell upon the given subject.

Greg,

I agree. It depends a whole lot on the disposition of the peeved
person, which is a bit hard to assess here (although some folks are
sufficiently explicit to remove any doubt.)

Chris Beall

Big Bill

On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 22:23:51 -0000, "Jemdam.com"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> That should be I.e. (or perhaps i.e.), it is an abbreviation and both
>> letters don't get capitalized unless you're starting a sentence with it
>> (and you're not starting a sentence).
>>
>> http://www1.umn.edu/urelate/style/la...nchor-E.g-6296

>Thanks for the google link but lay off on the English lesson. I have trouble
>writing and your comments are just rude. Every time I use these forums I
>cannot get over the people who go off on a tangent putting others down. I
>don't get it, why are people here just so rude? I welcome people's views on
>this. Is it:
>
>a) over weight star trek fans who don't get out much so they like to abuse
>others

Hallo!

BB

http://www.crystal-liaison.com/ http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Home of gifts so shiny!

Rob McAninch

Chris Beall>:
> Greg N. wrote:
>> Chris Beall wrote:
>>
>>> Rob started out by saying 'Pet peeve' [...]

>> Interesting. English is not my mother tongue, so I might be
>> misinterpreting this... but:
>>
>> I always thought that if somebody announces a "pet peeve", he admits
>> that this is kindof an obsession of his, and that people should not
>> take the sally he is making overly serious.

That about sums it up. I frequently see i.e. and e.g. misused, I
used to use them interchangeably instead of e.g. 'ex' to denote an
example. I had no idea what they really meant and ultimately my
writing suffered because of it (ok, maybe the Usenet posts were not
that big of an impact but I was mis-using them in letters and other
documents as well).

I'm pretty sure it was someone in Usenet that pointed me to a source
on what the Latin actually meant.

>> In other words, he is saying that he is not _really_ irritated, he
>> just loves to dwell upon the given subject.

Love is perhaps too strong a word in this case

--
Rob McAninch
http://rock13.com